Gooch as a Striker

I find the Club’s approach to Gooch slightly frustrating when compared to how other players have been handled.

He is a popular character with the fans and the backroom staff but this seems to have given him a disproportionate number of opportunities compared to other breakthrough players.

In his original position of RW he had proved to be inconsistent probably due to his limited technical abilities and lack of effective pace which meant he struggled against any average or better full back opponent.

We tried him at RWB which was a little better and RB which he never looked comfortable at, now suggestions of trying him up front (again).

Just compare that to players like Jack Diamond or even previously Luke Molyneaux, both talented local lads who seem to have been given far less time.

He’s an experienced professional footballer. It’s funny when fans say (write) about what footballers need to learn about football.
I kind of agree with this sentiment. I laugh when people are calling managers clueless, when clearly they know a lot more than the person calling them that. So I also agree that most footballers know more than your average fan too. However, it's clear that they don't know everything. If they did, they'd all be able to play every position, but this isn't the case. Gooch, for example needs to learn how to position himself better when he plays in defence. I'm not saying he can't learn that and probably even has a bit, but I don't think it comes automatically because he's experienced at football, he still has to learn stuff.

Last edited:

Back