Golf 2022

Keep it going mate, the key to lower scores is making sure you don't 2 bad shots in a row. If you mess up, take your medicine and get it back into play
yeah I am learning that while it might be sexy to try and punch out a 4 iron through trees, I am not anywhere near good enough to do that. So taking the 7i shot back into the fairway and walking away with a bogey or trying to up and down for par is helping me. Watching a lot of Rick Shiels videos at the moment which are helping.

Playing off 10, Roseberry today 43 first 9, Second nine, level par till 18th, topped 8 iron into new gulley, for a 5 and a 35. Pleased with a 78 and not really holing any long puts but the hybrid fired consistently for once. Desperately need rain for the fairways.

Ball striking on the range = really good.
Ball striking on the course = clusterfuck.
I am normally the other way round... my range shots (yesterday especially) all veered seriously left when I got on the course i had for the most part got rid of that problem..

You folks are probably getting bored with my updates, but as a newer golfer I'm really enjoying playing and getting better.

Carded another round of 84 today and but a triple bogey at the 9th and a couple of missed birdie shots could have got into the 70's which for me to even think about shooting so soon after starting playing is crazy. Out in 44 back in 40 and now just need to be more consistent with my driver. Loving my golf life right now.
Keep it up bandit ;) and don't beat yourself up when the shit rounds come along because they will :confused:

Course management is the key, don't be doing hero shots, keep it on the short stuff, keep stats, as this will quickly show you where you a losing shots and where to make the improvements.

I’ve been playing twenty years and regularly shoot worse scores than that. :lol:
Likewise and they seem to be happening more lately, I blame the Bermuda grass I play on, its a bit of a mare this time of year.
Aye that's me too, almost tour player like on the range :eek: and sometimes hideous on the course :lol:

Keep it up bandit ;) and don't beat yourself up when the shit rounds come along because they will :confused:

Course management is the key, don't be doing hero shots, keep it on the short stuff, keep stats, as this will quickly show you where you a losing shots and where to make the improvements.

Likewise and they seem to be happening more lately, I blame the Bermuda grass I play on, its a bit of a mare this time of year.

Aye that's me too, almost tour player like on the range :eek: and sometimes hideous on the course :lol:
Just about to tee off. Sweating like a nonce here but yet another great ball striking session on the range. See you in 4 hours for a 95.

yeah I am learning that while it might be sexy to try and punch out a 4 iron through trees, I am not anywhere near good enough to do that. So taking the 7i shot back into the fairway and walking away with a bogey or trying to up and down for par is helping me. Watching a lot of Rick Shiels videos at the moment which are helping.
I've been preferring Danny Maude recently.

I've been preferring Danny Maude recently.
Rick did nowt for me teaching wise. Only ones I watch now are Chris Ryan for the technical stuff, Danny Maude for how its put into practice and Marcus Bell at Zen golf for making it look as simple as it should be (it isnt though is it, but I like the concept :eek:).

Out of any of those Danny Maude is probably the one that I've got most from, he has a very easy going way about him that sticks.
Just about to tee off. Sweating like a nonce here but yet another great ball striking session on the range. See you in 4 hours for a 95.
So... 95 or better, 84 myself with an 8 on a par 4 :oops:

Came across this, this morning

So I played again yesterday and found I was hitting the ball much further than I normally do. Now my game is not about raw distance but I found that my irons were going much further than that have before. Normally playing 160 into the center of the green I would be hitting a 5i to that but yesterday I found I was able to reach it with a 7i... Does playing in the afternoon rather than morning really make that much of a difference??? Also I couldn't hit driver well at all yesterday and swapped out to my 2i which I can hit pretty straight.

So outward 44 and an inward 40 meant for the third round in a row I scored an 84 which is fantastic for me. I bottled the back nine as I was close to shooting under 40 for the first time before three bogeys on 16, 17 & 18...

Having replaced my irons and wedges, maybe its time to buy a new driver as well now (wife will love that)...

So I played again yesterday and found I was hitting the ball much further than I normally do. Now my game is not about raw distance but I found that my irons were going much further than that have before. Normally playing 160 into the center of the green I would be hitting a 5i to that but yesterday I found I was able to reach it with a 7i... Does playing in the afternoon rather than morning really make that much of a difference??? Also I couldn't hit driver well at all yesterday and swapped out to my 2i which I can hit pretty straight.

So outward 44 and an inward 40 meant for the third round in a row I scored an 84 which is fantastic for me. I bottled the back nine as I was close to shooting under 40 for the first time before three bogeys on 16, 17 & 18...

Having replaced my irons and wedges, maybe its time to buy a new driver as well now (wife will love that)...
Still a f4cking bandit..... :lol:

Yup, different times of the day, temps and altitude can affect ball distances, though I'm not sure by two clubs though. Wind probably has more affect. We have a par 3 at my home course and its a normal 6/5i and I've played it with a 7i to driver and all because of the wind conditions.

Still a f4cking bandit..... :lol:

Yup, different times of the day, temps and altitude can affect ball distances, though I'm not sure by two clubs though. Wind probably has more affect. We have a par 3 at my home course and its a normal 6/5i and I've played it with a 7i to driver and all because of the wind conditions.
Probably a combination of the new iron set and the afternoon conditions oh and no/little humidity.

Yes thin air will effect the ball a lot. I played a whole lot better today. Inconsistent still while changing stuff but I hit some fantastic drives. Nice when you can out drive your partner’s by 60-70 yards.

I played the Cathedral at Ramside yesterday. Nothing flash is it? Nice pint of neck oil to finish though. :cool:

I've just closed a competition at Castle Eden tonight and a 84 year old won it by scoring 43 points in a stableford comp. It's a fantastic achievement at any age to win a competition but beating another 130 golfers at that age is special. He's had a healthy 3.2 reduction and his handicap is now 14.4 :cool:
I love stories like this as it's part of what makes golf great. An old boy coming in with a score like that in a large field is superb and so much better than a 24 year old 37 handicapper who chops it round winning a comp.

Back