Golf 2022

I dont mind it. A couple of weak holes but the 17th is f***ing stupid.
It’s a horrendous hole. I played a 7 iron down and only the long grass stopped my from going in the drink. 230 to the flag into a par 4. Idiots.

A question for the good golfers. How did you get good? Was it just natural or a combo or lessons and lots of practice? I got down to 9 once but never any better and I seem to be getting worse.

It’s a horrendous hole. I played a 7 iron down and only the long grass stopped my from going in the drink. 230 to the flag into a par 4. Idiots.

A question for the good golfers. How did you get good? Was it just natural or a combo or lessons and lots of practice? I got down to 9 once but never any better and I seem to be getting worse.
I've had 4 lessons and it's basically the same one all the time. I generally play 4 times a week. I never hit balls on the range. I'll go on the putting green for 15 mins before I play. I see lads practicing all the time and wish I had that in me but I find it boring. I'm now off 2 but I know I don't have the dedication to get lower. I'm coming up 48 so I know this is my peak.

I've had 4 lessons and it's basically the same one all the time. I generally play 4 times a week. I never hit balls on the range. I'll go on the putting green for 15 mins before I play. I see lads practicing all the time and wish I had that in me but I find it boring. I'm now off 2 but I know I don't have the dedication to get lower. I'm coming up 48 so I know this is my peak.
This sounds familiar to me. I've been down to 6 a couple of times, can't be arsed with bashing balls on a range. I get ready to play 30 minutes before me tee time, spend 10 minutes on the putting green and have a few swings to loosen up. If I have an opportunity to play then I want to get out onto the golf course as it is what I enjoy. At the age of 55, I am coming to the realisation that my best golfing days are behind me but it won't stop me enjoying the game.

Annoying. I get lessons (probably too many from too many people) I practice. I warm up before a game thoroughly. I’m just naturally shit.

Been down to 6 and now a steady 8, and that is a usual for me here when the Bermuda grass grows and changes. Summer months when it grows it becomes hard to score if you are not on the short stuff.

Now retired I'll play around 4/5 times a week, warm up prior to a round with some balls and do chipping and putting sessions during the week. I'd watch multiple golf youtubers to find a fix and that screwed me up. Then decided to have our clubs pro give me some lessons and went from there, 3 lessons he sorted me out and gave me stuff to work on.

However keeping stats really helped me more, it highlighted where my weak spots were in the game and that was par 4 second shots to the green. I was hopeless with anything above a 7i. Knowing that helped me turn it around from only 35% to a 46% average and getting better. If I can get just 10% more, I'll be mainly shooting in the 70's, that is if the rest of the game holds up :rolleyes:

What did you change to improve? My biggest faults are that my swing is short and the hands never get deep enough. From there I fire the hips at the ball and get so steep. When I watch it on film I’m genuinely shocked I manage to get the club to the ball and get it round. But it does explain why I struggle so much off the tee and with the longer clubs myself. You can be steep with a wedge. Not with a driver (generally).

What did you change to improve? My biggest faults are that my swing is short and the hands never get deep enough. From there I fire the hips at the ball and get so steep. When I watch it on film I’m genuinely shocked I manage to get the club to the ball and get it round. But it does explain why I struggle so much off the tee and with the longer clubs myself. You can be steep with a wedge. Not with a driver (generally).
I used to take each club way to much in the inside and that resulted with an over the top and slice or pulls. The fact I took it straight to the inside meant everything after that was me trying to recover and hit the ball. I was starting my swing with my hands which then rolled over and the club went around me.

Lessons had me using my shoulders or felt my shoulders instead of my hands to start the swing (one piece takeaway) which meant the club went straight back or out instead of in and around.

That was just me though from my teachers watching me. You could have something simple as a poor grip that then means you are catching up.

And you are right, steep with the driver typically produces to much back spin and no distance off the tee. Setup is a all important and Danny Maude has some cracking videos on that. He had a great chipping vid the other week and that was brilliant for me, I've been spot on since and it was so simple to follow.

Link up the chipping vid please marra. Was that where he got a lesson from Cowen?

I’ve booked a two hour lesson with my pro in two weeks time. I’m desperate.

My fault sounds the opposite. Hands and arms go out not in.

This is the chipping one from Danny Maude.

I can't advise you, I'm not good enough but what I can say is I went down the YT Rabbit hole looking for fixes for what I was doing until I was fecked. I stopped watching everything and now only focus on one or two of the same lads and then when they have something that may help my problems or want to improve a certain aspect of my game.

Its taken me almost 18 months to change me swing, but it only started with 4 lessons to get me back on track which were 40 mins long each and focused one one thing at a time. 1st lesson was finding the fault, 2nd was all about taking the club back, which was concentrating on the first 2 foot of the back swing, 3rd was how the club moved forward after hitting the ball and again this was all about the line the club took 2 foot after striking the ball. The last was putting it all together. 4 lessons, one drill at a time to work on and a month or so between each lesson worked great for me. Some of the drills I did in the house without a ball and its gone good for me. After that I've gone from a big slice to straight to baby draw.

I'd say a two hour lesson is way to much, try 40 mins or so and get him to just work on a simple move that you can stick with.

Its a pain the butt this game :cool:

I can't advise you, I'm not good enough but what I can say is I went down the YT Rabbit hole looking for fixes for what I was doing until I was fecked. I stopped watching everything and now only focus on one or two of the same lads and then when they have something that may help my problems or want to improve a certain aspect of my game.

Its taken me almost 18 months to change me swing, but it only started with 4 lessons to get me back on track which were 40 mins long each and focused one one thing at a time. 1st lesson was finding the fault, 2nd was all about taking the club back, which was concentrating on the first 2 foot of the back swing, 3rd was how the club moved forward after hitting the ball and again this was all about the line the club took 2 foot after striking the ball. The last was putting it all together. 4 lessons, one drill at a time to work on and a month or so between each lesson worked great for me. Some of the drills I did in the house without a ball and its gone good for me. After that I've gone from a big slice to straight to baby draw.

I'd say a two hour lesson is way to much, try 40 mins or so and get him to just work on a simple move that you can stick with.

The 2 hours was gonna be split between short game and full swing tbf. I was in the pro shop this afternoon complaining I was thinning the tits off my chips and he started giving me advice and demos in the shop.
Ps cheers for link.

He's mint like

I would recommend this video too. I've been mint at chipping lately and I think it's from this as I don't do any practicing.

Humbled by a new course..

Felt like I was playing months ago with the old clubs, in my defence this is the hardest course in my area and while it is not a long course (white tees play just shy of 6,000 yards) it is very narrow. What shocked me the most was just how deep the first cut of rough is on this course, it's possible to hit a good shot, be less than a foot off the fairway and still struggle to find your ball given how deep that first cut is. Add that to the 'shit-ton' of trees and aggressive bunkers and it is easily the hardest course I have played since I started up. That said no excuses, I played my basic shots poorly taking my eye off the ball too much and lifting my head like I had people standing in front of me, ended up with a poor 104. The only bright spot is that my son-in-law played worse (even if we ended up level in matchplay).

On to the next one!!
I am back, and I think I might be in trouble. It would appear that I cannot hit driver for love nor money at the moment. Swing was all over the place on the range (but only with driver), topping it, bottoming out, hitting the ground before the ball... you name it, I messed it up on the range (and it started on the front 9 as well). On one hole I got under the ball so badly that the club just popped the ball up in the air and to the right of the tee.... 40ft high... 8ft diagonal right.. What is strange is that my irons are great at the moment, I ended up playing my 2i off the tee for the entire back 9.
The round wasn't terrible today, in and out in 44 for a total round of 88 but worrying that I cannot hit driver...

Last edited:
Humbled by a new course..

Felt like I was playing months ago with the old clubs, in my defence this is the hardest course in my area and while it is not a long course (white tees play just shy of 6,000 yards) it is very narrow. What shocked me the most was just how deep the first cut of rough is on this course, it's possible to hit a good shot, be less than a foot off the fairway and still struggle to find your ball given how deep that first cut is. Add that to the 'shit-ton' of trees and aggressive bunkers and it is easily the hardest course I have played since I started up. That said no excuses, I played my basic shots poorly taking my eye off the ball too much and lifting my head like I had people standing in front of me, ended up with a poor 104. The only bright spot is that my son-in-law played worse (even if we ended up level in matchplay).

On to the next one!!
I am back, and I think I might be in trouble. It would appear that I cannot hit driver for love nor money at the moment. Swing was all over the place on the range (but only with driver), topping it, bottoming out, hitting the ground before the ball... you name it, I messed it up on the range (and it started on the front 9 as well). On one hole I got under the ball so badly that the club just popped the ball up in the air and to the right of the tee.... 40ft high... 8ft diagonal right.. What is strange is that my irons are great at the moment, I ended up playing my 2i off the tee for the entire back 9.
The round wasn't terrible today, in and out in 44 for a total round of 88 but worrying that I cannot hit driver...
Popping it up like that sounds like a steep swing to me. Which can sometimes work for irons - up to a point. If you’re steep with a driver ya dead. Mickelson is steep and can’t drive for shit - he is the anomaly though most players aim to be shallow.

Popping it up like that sounds like a steep swing to me. Which can sometimes work for irons - up to a point. If you’re steep with a driver ya dead. Mickelson is steep and can’t drive for shit - he is the anomaly though most players aim to be shallow.
I just scheduled some lessons... Hopefully that can sort me out. Last thing I want to do is spend the remainder of summer and autumn fiddling with my swing watching you tube videos.

Made a set up change after 6 holes into a comp last weekend and won it. I was hooking the fook out of everything. For some reason I decided to externally rotate both arms outward then rotate my wrists back to take the grip. If that makes sense? Couldn't believe the difference in ball striking. Broke 80 off 15. Was over the moon. First time I've did that in a comp.

It probably is, all arms and no turn or weight shift. Some pros get away with it because they have a lot more club speed and technique, I seem to remember that DJ hits 2 degrees down on the ball and he's a 300+ yard average driver of the ball.

Back