Golf 2021

I know there is no answer to this
I want to get some new clubs as I want to give my clubs to my BIL who is getting into the game.
How much would a decent set cost me?
I'm In London so places in the north east arent of any use to me

I want to get some new clubs as I want to give my clubs to my BIL who is getting into the game.

What level you playing at? You can buy canny package sets for £500-1000...aimed at newer golfers or higher handicaps.

If you want top end you’re looking at £2,000+ all in for woods, irons, wedges and putter.

I get 90-95 most times.
I’ll aim for around 500 then!

There’s no right or wrong answer to be honest, best advice I can give you is to try before you buy. Most local clubs down there will likely have a simulator or a space for you to try them out. It was alien to me after a 15yr break from the game, went in and he handed me a shaft...I thought he’d lost the plot but then he came back with a box of different heads...let me try out 3 different sets of irons to get the data etc and make a decision...totally different ball game these days, so much choice. American Golf then placed the order for me with Wilson and after about 4wks they were ready to collect. I went with Wilson D7 irons as they felt good, definitely more forgiving and they weren’t too badly priced, about £600 I think but they’ve brought new ones out now so you can get them for less than £400 I think. Buy a driver from 2020, they’re way cheaper and not much different to the new 2021 models. Putter is totally personal preference so can’t help there. Good luck 👍🏼

There’s no right or wrong answer to be honest, ..... I went with Wilson D7 irons as they felt good, definitely more forgiving and they weren’t too badly priced, about £600 I think but they’ve brought new ones out now so you can get them for less than £400 I think. Buy a driver from 2020, they’re way cheaper and not much different to the new 2021 models. Putter is totally personal preference so can’t help there. Good luck 👍🏼

Sale on currently here: Wilson Staff D7 Forged Irons Custom Fitting | Wilson Staff D7 Forged golf irons | Wilson D7 Golf Clubs | Wilson D7 Forged Golf Irons | Wilson D7 Forged 2020 Irons | Wilson Irons | Wilson Gol

I'm looking at these too

Your right. No right answer.

I was at my best using some second hand golden bear blades because simply put at the time my swing was pretty consistent and I practiced.

I then used some shitty second hand pings for donkeys years and became inconsistent but I was was playing far less

Now have some Taylor made m6 first ever new set of clubs and last few rounds just starting hitting my irons really well, certainly since I was a kid, however this is the most I’ve played in 25 year, since being a youngen as mentioned

So to answer the unanswerable, fuck Nars!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reviews are starting to come out for this year's drivers. The Ping G425 max looks exceptional.

What do people do these days with their current clubs in terms of getting rid? eBay? Or something else?

I love how these look and the reviews are fantastic but I’m not consistent enough yet, apparently they’re forgiving for forged clubs but you still feel the bad shots...my normal D7’s must have magic powers because the bad shots are rare and they don’t hurt anymore 😂

If I can get myself down to 10 this season I will consider these purely because they’re a thing of beauty.
Reviews are starting to come out for this year's drivers. The Ping G425 max looks exceptional.

What do people do these days with their current clubs in terms of getting rid? eBay? Or something else?

eBay, gumtree, golfclubs4less etc - or a trade in for speed and less hassle.

Last edited:
Used to be off 8 but had a serious back injury which meant I didn’t swing a club for over 5 years. Been playing properly again for around 18 month. Now off 12 but hoping to get back to single figures by the end of the season.
Just moved back home after 25 years in Scotland and I have joined Consett Golf Club. Also have Country Membership at Penrith.
What did you think of the condition of Penrith last year been a member for fifteen years and it seems to be going the wrong way especially the drainage

What did you think of the condition of Penrith last year been a member for fifteen years and it seems to be going the wrong way especially the drainage
I thought it was good considering the amount of rain that we had. They have found the issue regarding the drainage on the second, 5th and 17th. It was blocked drainage pipes which they have now replaced. The greens were superb all year. Only issue (which is the same at most clubs) is members not repairing pitch marks on the greens. Every round I played I was repairing 3 - 4 pitchmarks per green.

i like the look of the G425 irons might get some for my 50th this year. thinking of getting graphite shafts too

Just seen this thread - stuck on 9 - would love to take a shot off this year. Home club is Ganton, but also at Pannal. Just desperate to get back out there!

How’s everyone coping without their golf ?
Even as an average golfer I’m really missing it.
Fingers crossed we’ll be back out in the freezing cold and sweeping rain in the near future.
Planning to play a few opens this year and if we could get a SMB day planned somewhere I’d be up for that. Anyone else up for it ?

How’s everyone coping without their golf ?
Even as an average golfer I’m really missing it.
Fingers crossed we’ll be back out in the freezing cold and sweeping rain in the near future.
Planning to play a few opens this year and if we could get a SMB day planned somewhere I’d be up for that. Anyone else up for it ?
Missing it all the more since last week's triple header of televised golf and the realisation that it could be April before courses are allowed to re-open.

At least it's been entertaining this evening watching Fatrick get caught cheating live on TV again and all the commentators trying to play it down.

Back