GNR 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to keep the same pace as my mate who was really slow. Finished on 2hr30. A bit gutted tbh as I had nearly a full tank left. If I was on my own would have smashed 2 hours.

praha12 said:
Was blown away by the amount of red n white tops in the spectators. Always great to see.
Eh? Id say we were outnumbered by at least 10 to 1 by the gravy stained mag tops.

The amount of unfit completely unprepared fatties struggling round was staggering mind.

Last edited:

I've only done the last three but in that time there's been more and more walking from a real early stage and that's with me starting in white e.

If they are going to walk or can't run the majority of the route they should take themselves to the back.

I've only done the last three but in that time there's been more and more walking from a real early stage and that's with me starting in white e.

If they are going to walk or can't run the majority of the route they should take themselves to the back.
I was in orange c and I was finding walkers ahead of me. Why!

2hrs 2 mins, absolutely over the moon.

Does anybody want to trade a large GNR tshirt for a medium one, it's like a f***ing tarpaulin on me :lol:

1:51:30 for me, really struggled, dunno if it was the heat or dodging the walkers and changing stride etc. wasn't enough water stops for me

1:51:30 for me, really struggled, dunno if it was the heat or dodging the walkers and changing stride etc. wasn't enough water stops for me

I hit the wall around 14k, I think I was taking on too much water. I had 2 bottles on the go and drank them over a km or 2, but once the stitch wore off I was flying the last 2km, did my fastest km over the race bar the opening 2.

Had a class day. Did 2:16 which I'm pleased with considering I was wearing a big zippy costume and was cooking from the first few meters. I started in pink and reckon there must have only been 1,000 or so people behind me so spent a lot of time dodging people and often found it easier dodging the bottles on the side of the road rather than runners. Done it 6 times now and I still get amazed at the crowds that come out for it, obviously the nice weather helps get people out. Was in the pub down the front till after 7 last night and feeling a bit ropey and dehydrated today but all worth it. Raised around £300 for Alzehimer's Society. Can't wait till next year!

I hit the wall around 14k, I think I was taking on too much water. I had 2 bottles on the go and drank them over a km or 2, but once the stitch wore off I was flying the last 2km, did my fastest km over the race bar the opening 2.
Therein lies your problem.

One of the worst days of my life, if you saw the medics attending someone at about the half mile mark under the flyover then it was me.

Had really bad metro ride packed carriage all the way sardine time and basically couldn't move, I had a history of anxiety/panic attacks a few years ago so anything like that starts me getting a little stressed but can control it these days, got off the metro and my left leg was cramping a touch below the calf. Walked up towards the start stretching a bit but was still hurting, saw the medics and they gave me some painkillers and looking at me and said legs were shaking a bit when I got there so probably nerves for the day etc. Had calmed a bit so left them agreeing to give it a go and of worse came to worse could goto the first aid point at mile 1.

Jogged a bit down to point D to get in but they closed the gate even though was queue of us waiting to get in, moved back down expecting to goto the back but mob rule in effect and people lifted the fence and started crawling under in the white section so under I went. Cramp was getting worse as we were stood around and started in other leg, once you in the pen there doesn't really seem to be a way out so pain was increasing and stress levels going up heart rate was at 130 as walked towards the line and was definitely in throws of mild attack. Started jogging and pain was getting worse and worse cramp moved right up my calves in both legs got to the underpass and just couldn't physically go any further, was grabbing hold of the barrier couldnt move, couldn't sit (moreso as runners coming towards me as well) I thin a runner passed and said would get someone but then a spectator came over and said would run down to first aid.

A lady (wad) came and stayed with me trying to calm me down till medics got there, I couldn't put any weight on so ended up in the evac chair being pulled along embarrassed a owt. They couldn't put me on the sweeper bus as I couldn't walk so was an ambulance job, after two hours sitting in the ambulance as they waited for patient transport for me finally got to rvi and taxi home. Legs were still fully cramped hours later are feeling bit better this morning but aching as if I had done the race especially up and down the stairs.

Heart rate when the medics got to me was 150 looked on my garmin and peaked at 158 so guess now have an answer if anyone asks what a panic attack is like physically its as if you running at a decent pace on the inside and breathing wise while your standing still.

Where this leaves me for other races don't really know have got my marathon in five weeks which isn't as big an event but don't want to go through that again, although the other part of me thinks it was just a one off don't let it beat you.

Did get to hear a lot of the calls coming through, seemed to be mainly diabetics and dehydration as well as someone who was allergic to sunlight (why they were running beyond me) and a taxi driver getting beaten up at shields metro, sounds like a few people went over discarded bottles as well.

Had a class day. Did 2:16 which I'm pleased with considering I was wearing a big zippy costume and was cooking from the first few meters. I started in pink and reckon there must have only been 1,000 or so people behind me so spent a lot of time dodging people and often found it easier dodging the bottles on the side of the road rather than runners. Done it 6 times now and I still get amazed at the crowds that come out for it, obviously the nice weather helps get people out. Was in the pub down the front till after 7 last night and feeling a bit ropey and dehydrated today but all worth it. Raised around £300 for Alzehimer's Society. Can't wait till next year!

Nice one bud

The route, the cost and the numbers involved should make the GNR a race to miss, but the people make it a fantastic day. Mr Foster and co don't know how lucky they are tbh.

My usual moan now..... :lol:

The numbers of walkers who managed to get orange numbers yesterday was a joke. I have no problem with people walking the route, but why can't they start towards the back?

I know only too well people can get injured and have to walk, but those that plan to purely walk should be in the pink zone at the back.

Also, :lol:...... If people need to stop, don't just do it in the middle of the road! Run towards the pavement and then stop!!!

One of the worst days of my life, if you saw the medics attending someone at about the half mile mark under the flyover then it was me.

Had really bad metro ride packed carriage all the way sardine time and basically couldn't move, I had a history of anxiety/panic attacks a few years ago so anything like that starts me getting a little stressed but can control it these days, got off the metro and my left leg was cramping a touch below the calf. Walked up towards the start stretching a bit but was still hurting, saw the medics and they gave me some painkillers and looking at me and said legs were shaking a bit when I got there so probably nerves for the day etc. Had calmed a bit so left them agreeing to give it a go and of worse came to worse could goto the first aid point at mile 1.

Jogged a bit down to point D to get in but they closed the gate even though was queue of us waiting to get in, moved back down expecting to goto the back but mob rule in effect and people lifted the fence and started crawling under in the white section so under I went. Cramp was getting worse as we were stood around and started in other leg, once you in the pen there doesn't really seem to be a way out so pain was increasing and stress levels going up heart rate was at 130 as walked towards the line and was definitely in throws of mild attack. Started jogging and pain was getting worse and worse cramp moved right up my calves in both legs got to the underpass and just couldn't physically go any further, was grabbing hold of the barrier couldnt move, couldn't sit (moreso as runners coming towards me as well) I thin a runner passed and said would get someone but then a spectator came over and said would run down to first aid.

A lady (wad) came and stayed with me trying to calm me down till medics got there, I couldn't put any weight on so ended up in the evac chair being pulled along embarrassed a owt. They couldn't put me on the sweeper bus as I couldn't walk so was an ambulance job, after two hours sitting in the ambulance as they waited for patient transport for me finally got to rvi and taxi home. Legs were still fully cramped hours later are feeling bit better this morning but aching as if I had done the race especially up and down the stairs.

Heart rate when the medics got to me was 150 looked on my garmin and peaked at 158 so guess now have an answer if anyone asks what a panic attack is like physically its as if you running at a decent pace on the inside and breathing wise while your standing still.

Where this leaves me for other races don't really know have got my marathon in five weeks which isn't as big an event but don't want to go through that again, although the other part of me thinks it was just a one off don't let it beat you.

Did get to hear a lot of the calls coming through, seemed to be mainly diabetics and dehydration as well as someone who was allergic to sunlight (why they were running beyond me) and a taxi driver getting beaten up at shields metro, sounds like a few people went over discarded bottles as well.

Sorry to hear that mate. I hope you are ok.

I was on the 8.15 metro and the journey was horrible! Additional services should have been put on, as the two trains from Sunderland before 9am were woefully inadequate!

Which marathon are you planning to do bud? Hopefully you will be fine to run it

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, :lol:...... If people need to stop, don't just do it in the middle of the road! Run towards the pavement and then stop!!!

Sorry to hear that mate. I hope you are ok.

I was on the 8.15 metro and the journey was horrible! Additional services should have been put on, as the two trains from Sunderland before 9am were woefully inadequate!

Which marathon are you planning to do bud? Hopefully you will be fine to run it

Yeah I was expecting metros every 10 minutes but it seemed more or less normal service tried to get on the 915 one which was apparently an extra one but it packed the next one not quite as bad but people still pushing on at Gateshead saying they had not been able to get onto the last 5 metros.

Doing the Yorkshire Marathon in York, staying over so wont have to worry about travel on the morning of it but obviously going to be a mental thing now.

Trying to get to the side is a battle in itself, was trying to move over and nearly wiped a bunch of faster people out even at the edge.

Yeah I was expecting metros every 10 minutes but it seemed more or less normal service tried to get on the 915 one which was apparently an extra one but it packed the next one not quite as bad but people still pushing on at Gateshead saying they had not been able to get onto the last 5 metros.

Doing the Yorkshire Marathon in York, staying over so wont have to worry about travel on the morning of it but obviously going to be a mental thing now.

Trying to get to the side is a battle in itself, was trying to move over and nearly wiped a bunch of faster people out even at the edge.

Nexus must have known demand was going to be high, so continuing with it's normal Sunday schedule was a disgrace really. The train we were on was packed after the SOL station, so those further up the line didn't have a hope.

I know it's easy for me to say mate, but try to not let it get to you. York will be a totally different experience to the GNR yesterday. You can relax in the morning for one

Good luck fella. I hope you get sorted

Sounds horrendous mate, hope you are ok now and it hasn't put you off for future runs

Sounds like you had a really tough, disappointing day. I've never done the GNR but have done Paris and Amsterdam marathons and these days would much rather do smaller, more relaxed events. I don't suffer in the same way as you, but do notice that I waste lots of energy with all the waiting and hassle of finding your way to the right pen etc.

It's none of my business and it may be something that you're already aware of or have experience of, but something like CBT can be effective in dealing with some of the things you're dealing with.

Hope that York is a much calmer experience....!
:)

They need to start allocating you your starting pen on the previous years finish time. Those who are doing it for the first time start right at the back.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you'll bounce back ok!

I was reasonably pleased with my result - 2:01:44. I was hoping for under 2 hours but struggled from the start to hit my target pace. I did 9:18 for the first mile which I think was slower than last year by about 30 seconds. :lol: Just couldn't get round the crowds at all and didn't want to tire myself out zigzagging from the start. I was still on target up until about 11 miles but would've really had to push myself and although I felt ok myself I was put off the idea by the number of people I saw receiving medical attention - I just didn't think it was the day to go for it because it was bloody hot.

I'll have to run a half marathon on my own just to prove to myself I'm capable of the time I want. :lol:

Pet hates of the day:
People running with loose change jangling about
Discarded/kicked bottles (nearly went over on my ankle about 20 times)
People just stopping dead in the middle of the road and then walking

First time I'd stopped by the charity village too and thought the Mind tent was fantastic. :D

Started of in Zone E was hoping to complete it in and around 2 hours but took 2.18 to complete it but can't complain at all, considering I was dressed as Mr Incredible.

I was absolutely boiling and starting to tire a bit by 3 miles and without that drinks station at 5k I would have had extreme trouble making it through the next mile. Instead of racing it properly I just took to the side of the road and started high fiving all the spectators and most of the kids seemed happy to be getting high fived by Mr Incredible and it helped me get through.

I've heard people saying the crowd were immense and I can't help but agree. The amount of oranges and jelly babies I grabbed off people were extraordinary and I supressed the urge to grab a pint off the people handing them out around 11 1/2 miles, which took a good amount of determination!

All in all for my first GNR I found it fantastic and won't hesitate to do it again, dressed in something different and possibly more outrageous next year. Any good ideas guys?

Sounds like you had a really tough, disappointing day. I've never done the GNR but have done Paris and Amsterdam marathons and these days would much rather do smaller, more relaxed events. I don't suffer in the same way as you, but do notice that I waste lots of energy with all the waiting and hassle of finding your way to the right pen etc.

It's none of my business and it may be something that you're already aware of or have experience of, but something like CBT can be effective in dealing with some of the things you're dealing with.

Hope that York is a much calmer experience....!
:)

That's kinda been my thoughts when planning for next year even before this happened that for me think smaller non city type events are better, with my thoughts to moving to ultras in 2016 which again will be smaller as well. Crowds don't usually trigger anything for me quite happily goto the match or gigs and festivals its more a feeling of not being able to get out and haven't had anything like that for years as generally mitigate my triggers for example sitting in aisle seats at the cinema etc. I'm a pretty cold logical person and no-one around me could believe I was someone that it suddenly hit and yeah looked at cbt etc when it first happened to me. I'm still not really sure if it was the cramps that triggered the nerves or vice versa as that was never a symptom in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back