GNR 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's kinda been my thoughts when planning for next year even before this happened that for me think smaller non city type events are better, with my thoughts to moving to ultras in 2016 which again will be smaller as well. Crowds don't usually trigger anything for me quite happily goto the match or gigs and festivals its more a feeling of not being able to get out and haven't had anything like that for years as generally mitigate my triggers for example sitting in aisle seats at the cinema etc. I'm a pretty cold logical person and no-one around me could believe I was someone that it suddenly hit and yeah looked at cbt etc when it first happened to me. I'm still not really sure if it was the cramps that triggered the nerves or vice versa as that was never a symptom in the past.

Sounds awful mate. Very easy for me to say but do the marathon (assuming you are physically fit for it) and that will help erase memories of yesterday. As you well know, its a lot of mind over matter with that sort of thing. Much harder to do in practice of course...

The heat was unbearable probably the hottest I have run it in. Managed 1 hr 51 and 57 seconds - 2 mins down on last year which I put down to the heat as I would say I was fitter and lighter this year than last. Saw more people being tended to by medics than any other year too which I put down to dehydration. Hated the last 4 miles. Would I do it again???? Of course I would

One of the worst days of my life, if you saw the medics attending someone at about the half mile mark under the flyover then it was me.

i think i spotted you if you were over on the left hand side ? i was running with a mate and saidf how absoloutley gutting that must be so soon into the race , mate did a double-take at you and said " ... i think that was my cousin!? "
awful seeing people injured at any point but you reallly feel for those right at the start / end
a mate of mine was working at the finishing tunnels and said how there was so many people collapsing metres from the end !
some runners were picking them up and carrying them over the line so they still got the finish :)

i finished in 2:09 which im a bit...meh about
no training at all for it and i had to wear my trail shoes which was destroying my feet on concrete
it was too hot
i started far too far back and could barely get a comfortable stride going as kept having to stop / dart between gaps
enjoyed it though as always

i think i spotted you if you were over on the left hand side ? i was running with a mate and saidf how absoloutley gutting that must be so soon into the race , mate did a double-take at you and said " ... i think that was my cousin!? "
awful seeing people injured at any point but you reallly feel for those right at the start / end
a mate of mine was working at the finishing tunnels and said how there was so many people collapsing metres from the end !
some runners were picking them up and carrying them over the line so they still got the finish :)

i finished in 2:09 which im a bit...meh about
no training at all for it and i had to wear my trail shoes which was destroying my feet on concrete
it was too hot
i started far too far back and could barely get a comfortable stride going as kept having to stop / dart between gaps
enjoyed it though as always

Yeah left side, if your mate is called Mark then it is my cousin, know had one running.

Yeah left side, if your mate is called Mark then it is my cousin, know had one running.
aye thats him - ran with him for about 8 miles then it was stupidly congested and was a ball-ache trying to stick together so we departed *sob*

hope the injurys non too bad

next years run has been set as the 13th , could have done with it being a week-later this year mind!
can still barely move and have a game of footy tonight and tomorrow :(

redcar half marathon is on back end of sep, advertised as flat and fast
Definitely flat barring a couple of small flyovers.
Only problem last year was the headwind from mile 3 to 10.
Well organised and a good goodybag and t shirt.

Went out and did a short run today to loosen up. Always feel a bit of a comedown day after GNR knowing it's a whole year until the next one. Aside from the actual race itself I love the build up and the after race celebrations. Coming up to Marsden Inn yesterday as the sea came into sight and along the coast road I felt really lucky I'm able to do most of my running in such a nice part of the north east and yesterday certainly showed it at it's finest.

Went out and did a short run today to loosen up. Always feel a bit of a comedown day after GNR knowing it's a whole year until the next one. Aside from the actual race itself I love the build up and the after race celebrations. Coming up to Marsden Inn yesterday as the sea came into sight and along the coast road I felt really lucky I'm able to do most of my running in such a nice part of the north east and yesterday certainly showed it at it's finest.

Yeah - don't think it's a run to race flat out but a privledge to be a part of. The whole weekend is buzzing

As I posted last night I couldn't get a quick time as I had to keep waiting for my mate all the way round. So I haven't even checked my finishing position. I would love to test myself on another half marathon. Does anyone know of any coming up in the North East? (apart from Redcar as I'm away that weekend)

Yeah - don't think it's a run to race flat out but a privledge to be a part of. The whole weekend is buzzing

I love the event now I'm a runner and take part, the kids do the mini event on the Saturday so it's turned into a proper family event for us.

As I posted last night I couldn't get a quick time as I had to keep waiting for my mate all the way round. So I haven't even checked my finishing position. I would love to test myself on another half marathon. Does anyone know of any coming up in the North East? (apart from Redcar as I'm away that weekend)

Coasts and Castles HM on the 26th October.

Definitely flat barring a couple of small flyovers.
Only problem last year was the headwind from mile 3 to 10.
Well organised and a good goodybag and t shirt.
Aye, I struggled last year with that wind. Definitely a quick course if calm though and some great scenery as you run up to Teesport :)

Yeah I was expecting metros every 10 minutes but it seemed more or less normal service tried to get on the 915 one which was apparently an extra one but it packed the next one not quite as bad but people still pushing on at Gateshead saying they had not been able to get onto the last 5 metros.

Doing the Yorkshire Marathon in York, staying over so wont have to worry about travel on the morning of it but obviously going to be a mental thing now.

Trying to get to the side is a battle in itself, was trying to move over and nearly wiped a bunch of faster people out even at the edge.

you should do a more low key HM like redcar or if you fancy it a trail HM. these are usually 200-300 runners, no stress pre race and plenty if open spaces. you won't get a PB but you just might like it.
look up the hardmoors marathons, HM's, 10 ks.

The build up and post run celebrations are brilliant, but the people make it. The support on the Tyne Bridge and the last mile was superb.

As I posted earlier, Brendan Foster doesn't know how lucky he is that the GNR is so well supported! The cost, rubbish route and the sheer numbers, should put me off but I keep doing it

The build up and post run celebrations are brilliant, but the people make it. The support on the Tyne Bridge and the last mile was superb.

As I posted earlier, Brendan Foster doesn't know how lucky he is that the GNR is so well supported! The cost, rubbish route and the sheer numbers, should put me off but I keep doing it
I've lived in Shields all my life but I still get blown away with the support like.

I've lived in Shields all my life but I still get blown away with the support like.

It's a credit to the town/region mate. I've done races around the UK and nothing compares to the support on the GNR route.

I was struggling as I started the final mile, but the support made me forget any pain I was in! I know this will sound naff, but as someone who will never play sport at a top level, experiencing the GNR finish is a privilege.

Mind, walkers in the front pens still piss me off :lol:. I wish people were more honest about their times

One of the worst days of my life, if you saw the medics attending someone at about the half mile mark under the flyover then it was me.

Had really bad metro ride packed carriage all the way sardine time and basically couldn't move, I had a history of anxiety/panic attacks a few years ago so anything like that starts me getting a little stressed but can control it these days, got off the metro and my left leg was cramping a touch below the calf. Walked up towards the start stretching a bit but was still hurting, saw the medics and they gave me some painkillers and looking at me and said legs were shaking a bit when I got there so probably nerves for the day etc. Had calmed a bit so left them agreeing to give it a go and of worse came to worse could goto the first aid point at mile 1.

Jogged a bit down to point D to get in but they closed the gate even though was queue of us waiting to get in, moved back down expecting to goto the back but mob rule in effect and people lifted the fence and started crawling under in the white section so under I went. Cramp was getting worse as we were stood around and started in other leg, once you in the pen there doesn't really seem to be a way out so pain was increasing and stress levels going up heart rate was at 130 as walked towards the line and was definitely in throws of mild attack. Started jogging and pain was getting worse and worse cramp moved right up my calves in both legs got to the underpass and just couldn't physically go any further, was grabbing hold of the barrier couldnt move, couldn't sit (moreso as runners coming towards me as well) I thin a runner passed and said would get someone but then a spectator came over and said would run down to first aid.

A lady (wad) came and stayed with me trying to calm me down till medics got there, I couldn't put any weight on so ended up in the evac chair being pulled along embarrassed a owt. They couldn't put me on the sweeper bus as I couldn't walk so was an ambulance job, after two hours sitting in the ambulance as they waited for patient transport for me finally got to rvi and taxi home. Legs were still fully cramped hours later are feeling bit better this morning but aching as if I had done the race especially up and down the stairs.

Heart rate when the medics got to me was 150 looked on my garmin and peaked at 158 so guess now have an answer if anyone asks what a panic attack is like physically its as if you running at a decent pace on the inside and breathing wise while your standing still.

Where this leaves me for other races don't really know have got my marathon in five weeks which isn't as big an event but don't want to go through that again, although the other part of me thinks it was just a one off don't let it beat you.

Did get to hear a lot of the calls coming through, seemed to be mainly diabetics and dehydration as well as someone who was allergic to sunlight (why they were running beyond me) and a taxi driver getting beaten up at shields metro, sounds like a few people went over discarded bottles as well.
Sorry you had such a shit time mate,hope you are feeling better;)

It's a credit to the town/region mate. I've done races around the UK and nothing compares to the support on the GNR route.

I was struggling as I started the final mile, but the support made me forget any pain I was in! I know this will sound naff, but as someone who will never play sport at a top level, experiencing the GNR finish is a privilege.

Mind, walkers in the front pens still piss me off :lol:. I wish people were more honest about their times

Yeah I know what you mean, hitting the coast road and the finish is class, rain or shine people are always there to give everyone their support. It's great to be part of such a fantastic event and i'd recommend it to anyone like, even if it's only the once I definitely think it's something that people should do like.

Yeah I know what you mean, hitting the coast road and the finish is class, rain or shine people are always there to give everyone their support. It's great to be part of such a fantastic event and i'd recommend it to anyone like, even if it's only the once I definitely think it's something that people should do like.

I'd encourage anyone to try it once. It's a brilliant experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back