Gigs back at sol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Youd think certain stadiums would become the preferred choice of promoters. SJP will be one now

SJP has massive limitations for gigs, for example it couldn't have the large scale production like take that due to access and the way the stage is positioned in the ground.

We tick a lot more boxes for promotors especially having a large area to close off for food and drink.

We were still been offered concerts this year so promotors obviously still see Sunderland as a good option.

SJP has massive limitations for gigs, for example it couldn't have the large scale production like take that due to access and the way the stage is positioned in the ground.

We tick a lot more boxes for promotors especially having a large area to close off for food and drink.

We were still been offered concerts this year so promotors obviously still see Sunderland as a good option.

Cheers..someone has said similar. I just hadnt realised. Haway the SoL.

Delighted to hear they're coming back eventually. Wouldn't expect them to put them on at a loss but even if they just break even (albeit it might be seen as a waste of time given the resources could be used elsewhere) it's something that massively benefits the city. As a club, Sunderland AFC should benefit the city where possible, these concerts are a good way of doing it
This, even if the club just breaks even or makes £1 they should be on. The good will, publicity and money made outside the stadium walls is worth it.

Fingers crossed they can make it work.

SoL is a preferred choice (still cannot believe we turned down the Stones). Said it before, but SJP physically cannot host most big production stadium shows. Which is why they stick to acts like Ed Sheeran.

Lad I know works for Sunderland City Council who claims that it’s going to be a right faff on if the Mags keep bidding for concerts as promotors prefer going to Newcastle due to the better infrastructures in place...hotels, bars, restaurants, transport networks etc. Likes of live nation and AEG live always put their staff up in Newcastle anyway apparently.

Fleetwood mac at the SoS...great band

oh wait,my mistake...it's fleetwood town :lol:

shit does that mean them wimbledon tickets i bought arnt for the tennis :evil:

It’s a f***ing nightmare getting the Metro after a gig at SOL. Sunderland just doesn’t have the transport infrastructure to cope with shipping people in from other parts of Tyne and Wear.
Is it not just exactly the same as Newcastle ?

Is it not just exactly the same as Newcastle ?

My own personal experience is that the volume of people heading back to direction of South Hylton after a gig in newcastle is far smaller than the other way around. Trying to get 20-30k on a metro at 11pm when most bars are shut in Sunderland is a nightmare. In Newcastle, the blow if softened by loads of bars being open later within spitting distance of arena/the landfill plus metro stations and bus interchanges to get people all over Tyne and Wear.

My own personal experience is that the volume of people heading back to direction of South Hylton after a gig in newcastle is far smaller than the other way around. Trying to get 20-30k on a metro at 11pm when most bars are shut in Sunderland is a nightmare. In Newcastle, the blow if softened by loads of bars being open later within spitting distance of arena/the landfill plus metro stations and bus interchanges to get people all over Tyne and Wear.
You sound clued up. Nowt worse than most the bars in Sunderland shutting at 11pm like. Apart from it being absolute nonsense that is.

Loads of bars and a bus interchange within easy walking distance of the SOL.

You sound clued up. Nowt worse than most the bars in Sunderland shutting at 11pm like. Apart from it being absolute nonsense that is.
He should just say he loves Newcastle and hates Sunderland and get it out of the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lad I know works for Sunderland City Council who claims that it’s going to be a right faff on if the Mags keep bidding for concerts as promotors prefer going to Newcastle due to the better infrastructures in place...hotels, bars, restaurants, transport networks etc. Likes of live nation and AEG live always put their staff up in Newcastle anyway apparently.

Concert promotions for the SoL have got nothing to do with the council, thankfully. As stated many times, SJP just isn't to standard to host medium/big production shows, which count for the majority of stadium tours.

As for the infrastructure, it's absolutely fine. Great road links practically straight onto the motorway network and few mins walk to a rail / metro stations and a bus interchange. I remember trying to leave a concert at Finsbury Park. I would have killed to be on my way within an hour!

I’ve been to 3 gigs at SOL, and every time the queue for metros towards Newcastle has been at least an hour. It’s a shambles.

Then walk 20 mins upto say millfield or pallion & you'd get on no bother. More so if you're heading to tyneside.

Pretty sure most are open to at least midnight around the main areas in the city centre. I went to a gig at the Uni in Newcastle last year & it was on a friday night. Went to a bar afterwards, got kicked out at 11pm & everywhere in the area was shutting up.

And why would he know that working for the council?

Are you one of the moaners who thinks the council control all private enterprise?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back