Gateshead town centre

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupid policies around developments (i.e. gateshead now being a student haven) and highways planning to make it difficult to get into the town centres to name 2 reasons
Indeed.And it only seems to be getting worse.

Perhaps people will go back to bricks and mortar once net based shopping loses its lustre.

Perhaps people will go back to bricks and mortar once net based shopping loses its lustre.

I can't see that happening. Getting easier and easier to buy online and just arrange a local pickup somewhere if your not going to be in.

Can you realistically see a reversal of internet retail?
yes as its nothing new
Look at Brian Mills which was the early form of mail order shopping
pile of bricks now

Shit-high-street-shocker.

See also every other town in the North.
not really the ones that have embraced local independents are still doing ok
It's the ones that sold out to chains and retail parks that are and will suffer.

That horrific statue outside the Metro still there? Genuinely one of the worst things I've ever seen.

It's hard to imagine what else could be done with the town centre tbh aside from the council trying to make it into some haven for independents. Hopefully the new arena being built on the quayside might breathe a bit of life back into it.

Their can't be many towns who have their centre less than a half hour walk from the centre of a city. Especially in a region where we're not known to be flush with disposable income.

Last edited:
Should build a geet big fuck off concrete car park on top of it with a restaurant at the top, and walls just low enough for overweight gangsters to be thrown off.

I traveled through just to see it intact and then being demolished before a piece of cinematic local history was gone forever. That restaurant never even opened despite being completed due to concerns over it's structural integrity.

That horrific statue outside the Metro still there? Genuinely one of the worst things I've ever seen.

It's hard to imagine what else could be done with the town centre tbh aside from the council trying to make it into some haven for independents. Hopefully the new arena being built on the quayside might breathe a bit of life back into it.

Their can't be many towns who have their centre less than a half hour walk from the centre of a city. Especially in a region where we're not known to be flush with disposable income.

It's called 'sports day'. Think it's still there, I quite like it. :lol:

Can't think of many, maybe West Bromwich?

Not as close but I bet Bury, Oldham and Rochdale suffer being so close to Manchester. Birkenhead also is close to Liverpool

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back