Gateshead town centre

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
It looks nicer than it used to since the student digs and complex went up but it’s basically just one big transport hub, the streets east of the Interchange are minging. Gateshead Quays is nice enough though.

:)this.what a f***ing ridiculous comment.The metro centre is bigger than gatesheeds town centre.it's strategically placed to catch the whole of the north east shoppers and beyond.

Fantastic piece of planning. The MetroCentre..

Strategically positioned in a spot where the Metro system cannot go.

Every fucker has to drive there- hence the ever jammed western bypass and the need recently to spend hundreds of millions of quid making it 3 lanes.

Gateshead Council signed it off and I'm quite sure Sir John made it worth their while.

I'm also sure it brings them lots of money in rates. ...

...But in doing that they effectively gave up on the idea of Gateshead being an actual town.

It's now simply another suburb of Newcastle.
When people go to the Baltic or the Sage - they might as well be in Newcastle.

The biggest and the best store as the jingle went. Was it Freddie's place?
Don't Think it was related to that family. All I rememer as a 6 yr old wad it had a fantastic toy dept - the whole of the top floor as I remember. Even better than Fenwicks at Xmas.
Strangely I cannot really remember where the store was located.
Think it was near the end of the High level Bridge - near the old town hall (officially the only bit of nice architecture left in Gateshead town centre).

Last edited:

Every fucker has to drive there- hence the ever jammed western bypass and the need recently to spend hundreds of millions of quid making it 3 lanes.

Gateshead Council signed it off and I'm quite sure Sir John made it worth their while.

...But in doing that they effectively gave up on the idea of Gateshead being an actual town.

Don't Think it was related to that family. All I rememer as a 6 yr old wad it had a fantastic toy dept - the whole of the top floor as I remember. Even better than Fenwicks at Xmas.
Think it was near the end of the High level Bridge - near the old town hall (officially the only bit of nice architecture left in Gateshead town centre).
Why cant the metro go there?

Don't think I ever went - just remember the TV ad. Never even seen a town centre - passed a few shops on the Bensham road and have seen the bus station but that's all.

Don't think it was out to do with Freddie (God rest his soul) but remember the Ad

Come shopping at Shepards
The biggest and the best store
The car parking is free
For the whole family
Come shopping at Shepards
The biggest and the best store
The car parking is free
For the whole family
But if you are single and lonely
With a hole in your heart
Like the hole in your shoe
Our boots and sexy assistants are made for you.

:)

Gateshead are fools for letting Newcastle steal their thunder. As for Shields there is nee thunder to steal.
Quite ironic that.

Newcastle stole Gateshead Thunder Rugby League team, as it did with Sunderland Basketball and ice hockey teams

I don't know why Gatehead doesn't just join up with Newcastle and become part of the city as the majority of people there seem to self identity with the place anyway.

They could then demolish the town centre and build more houses close to the centre of Greater Newcastle.

Last edited:
Gateshead town centre is crap because it has less options than Newcastle and the Metrocentre for consumers.

If you live in East Gateshead somewhere like Felling for example, why would you go to Gateshead when only one stop further on the metro is Newcastle?
The buses all go through Gateshead and on to Newcastle and the metrocentre centre. South Gateshead like Low Fell or Deckham etc is just as easy staying on the bus to Newcastle.
Same as West Gateshead like Teams, Dunston, Whickham, Blaydon it's easier getting to Newcastle or the Metrocentre than going to the dump that is Gateshead. Unless you need to go to Tesco, the job centre or the civic centre there's really no need to be in Gateshead. It's a minging place and full of old drunks and scruffs and smackheads. And obese middle aged women with red faces in bad leggings and fleeces with cats on.

Can't believe some people think the Metrocentre features "metro" in its name in reference to the metro transport system :oops:

Gateshead town centre is crap because it has less options than Newcastle and the Metrocentre for consumers.

If you live in East Gateshead somewhere like Felling for example, why would you go to Gateshead when only one stop further on the metro is Newcastle?
The buses all go through Gateshead and on to Newcastle and the metrocentre centre. South Gateshead like Low Fell or Deckham etc is just as easy staying on the bus to Newcastle.
Same as West Gateshead like Teams, Dunston, Whickham, Blaydon it's easier getting to Newcastle or the Metrocentre than going to the dump that is Gateshead. Unless you need to go to Tesco, the job centre or the civic centre there's really no need to be in Gateshead. It's a minging place and full of old drunks and scruffs and smackheads. And obese middle aged women with red faces in bad leggings and fleeces with cats on.

Can't believe some people think the Metrocentre features "metro" in its name in reference to the metro transport system :oops:
Metropolitan as in sophisticated.

So Sunderland has a better city/town centre than Gateshead? I feel much better now.

Next time a Gateshead mag tries to take the piss by claiming Eldon square is better than the Bridges I can reply with the ultimate put down.

That’s like me taking the piss out of a Mag by saying that South Shields beach is better than Whitley Bay.

I’m from Sunderland, he’s from Gateshead.

Back