Gateshead town centre

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date

It's called 'sports day'. Think it's still there, I quite like it. :lol:

Fuckin' hell. Cherry on top with the name.

At a stretch and if I squinted I could maybe half see how it'd look passable when it was made but now, fuck me it's bad. Looks like it's made out of plastic n all which rounds it off nicely.

I traveled through just to see it intact and then being demolished before a piece of cinematic local history was gone forever. That restaurant never even opened despite being completed due to concerns over it's structural integrity.

I just watched the scene from Get Carter I was referring to and it even looks precariously balanced even as it was being built :lol: I would have loved to have been on the last guided tours before it was pulled down. By the time I fancied going on one they were only taking people halfway up as bits of concrete were falling off the higher you went.

Gateshead high street has always looked a bit rundown and old to me. Bit of a tip, to be honest. Was known to have a very high number of pubs on the main high street, though some have closed. Its a depressingly lower working class shopping area. The Metro centre and the fact that three close by council estates have been demolished have greatly reduced the footfall. As well as has been mentioned, parking is difficult to find. All those things seem obvious to me. Cannot see why the local authority couldn't see that as well.
We use the Tesco there now and then.

It's better than it was before but the parking charges seem to have killed it. Footfall seems lower since the charges started and easier to find a space to park now. Most of the shops there have a branch at Team Valley with ample free parking, or the Galleries is just a few minutes further. I think people with cars must be going elsewhere.

There's always people standing in the middle with clipboards/ipads trying to sell you gas and electric or charities or Avon or whatever as well.

It's better than it was before but the parking charges seem to have killed it. Footfall seems lower since the charges started and easier to find a space to park now. Most of the shops there have a branch at Team Valley with ample free parking, or the Galleries is just a few minutes further. I think people with cars must be going elsewhere.

There's always people standing in the middle with clipboards/ipads trying to sell you gas and electric or charities or Avon or whatever as well.

Team Valley has perhaps the worst parking set up in the country. I hate that place :lol:

Was passing through there yesterday. People on here moan about Sunderland City Centre and empty shop units or excess charity shops, but I haven't quite seen anything like there.

Wedged between the pull of the Metro Centre and Newcastle, Gateshead's town centre literally has no purpose at all. For all they have jumped on the "Newcastle-Gateshead" bandwagon, allowing their own quayside to get passed off as Newcastle anyway... they've gained absolutely nothing from such integration by their own redundancy.

For all the negative things people have to say about Sunderland, we continue to fight for our own identity and purpose as a city. Whilst the influence of Newcastle is a challenge to the city's development, I don't believe we have to be fatalistically subordinate to them forever.

Disagree. It has everything its populace needs, lines up alongside each other. Poundland for shoplifting( or charity shops with no CCTV and elderly folks to purse dip) pubs and pawn shops to sell the gear, bookies to launder the money in and a chemist to get their methadone. Shangri la for your average smack head.

Last edited by a moderator:
was useful to pop into the bank, tesco woollies, kwik save and the coop on the way home.
Park on main street but the council have knacked it with bus lanes no entries and limited parking with parking vultures hovering
so no sympathy from me
Councils are their own worst enemies at times like. For a town with little footfall to start with, they have not helped with the tescos car park rule change and bus lanes all over.

Councils are their own worst enemies at times like. For a town with little footfall to start with, they have not helped with the tescos car park rule change and bus lanes all over.
They only spent £150 million on it,
About 6/7 year ago iirc.
Suppose at the time everyone thought it was gonna be a success. Including the council
WDGC

One of the moaners on the echo's site actually claimed it was better than Sunderland city centre.

In reality its basically Peterlee with a cinema & nandos

Can't see how that would've worked transport wise.
You could have walked there from Newcastle. Or taken a bus. Or taken the Metro which is 200m from the High Street.

Having a Metro system that doesn't stop at the Metro Centre is a complete farce in my eyes .

Somebody wants hanging for that decision.

Back