Gateshead town centre

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesco are the reason for all the empty units, because they own them and decide who gets them. It's a disaster, I expect the cinema won't last much longer.
Yep. My point exactly. Also they have taken a hit in the last few years since.

What would have happened if they'd built that aircraft hanger megastore then closed it.

The Vue cinema is canny although it's only 3 or 4 years old.

I was at the Empire one in Sunderland recently and it looks very tired already.

bald men and comb springs to mind
whereas as Felling is the Bond Street of the North

in instead we have a half built office bock in the soviet style and Siglion are making a big PR thing about appointing new contractors.
You wanted Tesco???
The Vue cinema is canny although it's only 3 or 4 years old.

I was at the Empire one in Sunderland recently and it looks very tired already.
It must be about 8 years old isn't it?

Last edited:
I worked in Gateshead for over 20 years and it's looked far worse than it does now. I was all for them pulling down the 'iconic' car park but as that's been replaced with student flats and retail units it looks bland and bitty.

Yes it's very true that Gateshead has suffered greatly by its proximity to Newcastle.

I'm from the Gateshead side - further south at Low fell/ Saltwell Park it's much nicer - but the 'town centre' (If you can call it that) has definitely deteriorated and now is nothing more that a transport hub with the metro at it's heart.

As a kid in the early 70's my parents would take us to Shepherds of Gateshead- which was a bit like Fenwicks in Newcastle. It's died really. Since those days.

I would place the blame for this squarely at the door of Gatehead council. Instead of attempting to improve the quality of the Gateshead side by improving housing and shopping- they killed it off by transplanting any shopping potential to the Metrocentre.

The metro centre should have been where Gateshead high street sits.
Newcastle City Council wouldn't allowed it, as it could of potentially killed off Eldon Square. I agree with you though.

bald men and comb springs to mind
whereas as Felling is the Bond Street of the North

in instead we have a half built office bock in the soviet style and Siglion are making a big PR thing about appointing new contractors.
Lets see what the Vaux Business and Leisure area looks like when it's finished eh? Even though it might take 5-10 year to complete, it will benefit Sunderland City Centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back