Gateshead town centre

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27897

Was passing through there yesterday. People on here moan about Sunderland City Centre and empty shop units or excess charity shops, but I haven't quite seen anything like there.

Wedged between the pull of the Metro Centre and Newcastle, Gateshead's town centre literally has no purpose at all. For all they have jumped on the "Newcastle-Gateshead" bandwagon, allowing their own quayside to get passed off as Newcastle anyway... they've gained absolutely nothing from such integration by their own redundancy.

For all the negative things people have to say about Sunderland, we continue to fight for our own identity and purpose as a city. Whilst the influence of Newcastle is a challenge to the city's development, I don't believe we have to be fatalistically subordinate to them forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Got offered a job on Gateshead Quayside.

Did not fancy it at all.

Shared building with call centre on the floor below...you should have seen the clip of them

was useful to pop into the bank, tesco woollies, kwik save and the coop on the way home.
Park on main street but the council have knacked it with bus lanes no entries and limited parking with parking vultures hovering
so no sympathy from me

Was passing through there yesterday. People on here moan about Sunderland City Centre and empty shop units or excess charity shops, but I haven't quite seen anything like there.

Wedged between the pull of the Metro Centre and Newcastle, Gateshead's town centre literally has no purpose at all. For all they have jumped on the "Newcastle-Gateshead" bandwagon, allowing their own quayside to get passed off as Newcastle anyway... they've gained absolutely nothing from such integration by their own redundancy.

For all the negative things people have to say about Sunderland, we continue to fight for our own identity and purpose as a city. Whilst the influence of Newcastle is a challenge to the city's development, I don't believe we have to be fatalistically subordinate to them forever.

Yes it's very true that Gateshead has suffered greatly by its proximity to Newcastle.

I'm from the Gateshead side - further south at Low fell/ Saltwell Park it's much nicer - but the 'town centre' (If you can call it that) has definitely deteriorated and now is nothing more that a transport hub with the metro at it's heart.

As a kid in the early 70's my parents would take us to Shepherds of Gateshead- which was a bit like Fenwicks in Newcastle. It's died really. Since those days.

I would place the blame for this squarely at the door of Gatehead council. Instead of attempting to improve the quality of the Gateshead side by improving housing and shopping- they killed it off by transplanting any shopping potential to the Metrocentre.

The metro centre should have been where Gateshead high street sits.

was useful to pop into the bank, tesco woollies, kwik save and the coop on the way home.
Park on main street but the council have knacked it with bus lanes no entries and limited parking with parking vultures hovering
so no sympathy from me

I officially opened Woollies in Gateshead.

So Sunderland has a better city/town centre than Gateshead? I feel much better now.

Next time a Gateshead mag tries to take the piss by claiming Eldon square is better than the Bridges I can reply with the ultimate put down.

So Sunderland has a better city/town centre than Gateshead? I feel much better now.

Next time a Gateshead mag tries to take the piss by claiming Eldon square is better than the Bridges I can reply with the ultimate put down.
bald men and comb springs to mind
whereas as Felling is the Bond Street of the North

Tesco town. What Sunderland could have been.
in instead we have a half built office bock in the soviet style and Siglion are making a big PR thing about appointing new contractors.

bald men and comb springs to mind
whereas as Felling is the Bond Street of the North

in instead we have a half built office bock in the soviet style and Siglion are making a big PR thing about appointing new contractors.

Not quite sure you know what the Soviet style is :lol:

Tesco are the reason for all the empty units, because they own them and decide who gets them. It's a disaster, I expect the cinema won't last much longer.
They also now have a chargable car park under tesco and there is almost nowhere to park in Gateshead apart from there

They also now have a chargable car park under tesco and there is almost nowhere to park in Gateshead apart from there

Exactly, unless you spend £5 in Tesco or use the cinema. Car park should be free, as you say there isn't anywhere else really. It'll kill the place totally.

Have heard Gateshead is being renamed Lower Newcastle, don't know if this is true ?

Back