Gaming PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
my thoughts have'nt changed. If AMD were'nt about to announce the 5000 range and big Navi then a 3600 cpu with a 5700xt would be plenty enough

everything else is a good choice, its just i would'nt jump on the above until the new releases (for ex - why risk buying a 3600 now if AMD release a 5600cpu in a weeks time at the same price point) - (and the same for a GPU)

i really need to upgrade my rx470 (then i can pop that into my messaround test bench, and put the 1030 back into the media pc), so i'm hoping Big Navi will mean either 5700xt prices come down or that they'll be doing a new budget king to replace the rx470/480/570/580

Thanks, it's kinda what I thought really. Have AMD confirmed if the new 5000 will.be compatibile with AM4? I like this mobo but want to future proof myself (as best as anyone can with Pcs) for possible upgrades.

Thanks, it's kinda what I thought really. Have AMD confirmed if the new 5000 will.be compatibile with AM4? I like this mobo but want to future proof myself (as best as anyone can with Pcs) for possible upgrades.

there are articles out saying that the board builders have (or are) releasing bios updates for B550 & X570 that state

• Optimized compatibility for AMD Ryzen 3000-Series and Ryzen 4000 G-Series Desktop Processors and future AM4 socket processors

which they take to mean 5000 series for desktop

I wouldn't expect whatever follows 5000 to be AM4 socket though (but we'll have had a good run with Ryzen)

there are articles out saying that the board builders have (or are) releasing bios updates for B550 & X570 that state

• Optimized compatibility for AMD Ryzen 3000-Series and Ryzen 4000 G-Series Desktop Processors and future AM4 socket processors

which they take to mean 5000 series for desktop

I wouldn't expect whatever follows 5000 to be AM4 socket though (but we'll have had a good run with Ryzen)

Cheers. That's good to know at least that's supported for now.

sorry to hijack this thread but I’m looking for some advice, I’m wanting to get a gaming Pc, preferably pre built as I’m a complete novice. I’ve a budget of around £1000-£1300 Max. I’ve looked on pc world and overclockers etc and there’s some there that to the untrained eye look decent but I imagine there’s better deals to be had with the new GPU being released. Any help/suggestions would be massively appreciated!

sorry to hijack this thread but I’m looking for some advice, I’m wanting to get a gaming Pc, preferably pre built as I’m a complete novice. I’ve a budget of around £1000-£1300 Max. I’ve looked on pc world and overclockers etc and there’s some there that to the untrained eye look decent but I imagine there’s better deals to be had with the new GPU being released. Any help/suggestions would be massively appreciated!
Overclockers deals on black friday are usually great.
PC World, personally I'd avoid.

new GPUs by nvidia have launched technically, but it was a paper launch. No where has stock so its pretty much imposible to get your hands on them, so the 20 series have held their value and retail price.

AMD are launching theirs on the 28th which should shake things up more.

Overclockedrs will be pricey for a pre built. Id keep an eye on uk deals for systems like this AWD DELTA Ryzen 5 3600 SIX Core Radeon RX 5700XT MSI EVOKE 8GB PC for Gaming £869.98 @ AWD-IT - hotukdeals

Not sure how gd black fri will be this year, brexit and the price of the £ are increasing prices.

I can recommend this lot: Next Day PC - Over 250 Ready To Ship Computers With Free Delivery

yes, you can get (slightly) better elsewhere maybe, but not the next day!

you're kidding??
their 'best seller' for £500 is an FX8300 with a 1050TI
£500 for a secondhand badly aging pc is dreadful - next day delivery doesn't make up for that
I was going to say that, but decided to let it slide. I can't believe people are still selling computers with AMD FX Bulldozer Chips in them, they were ok at the time, but that time was 8 years ago!
A bottom end 2019 CPU would wipe the floor, even a "Pentium" range. Surely? Plus, its a dead platform for upgrades down the line!

I was going to say that, but decided to let it slide. I can't believe people are still selling computers with AMD FX Bulldozer Chips in them, they were ok at the time, but that time was 8 years ago!
A bottom end 2019 CPU would wipe the floor, even a "Pentium" range. Surely? Plus, its a dead platform for upgrades down the line!

i had thought about saying nothing, but would'nt want to read a thread 3 months down the line about 'i bought a shite pc'

I've just built and sold for £300 a 4th gen i5, 8gb ram, ssd and hdd with an rx470

outperforms the £500 build, and even has a very small upgrade window to an i7 or xeon equiv

Thanks allot for the advice I’ve had a look about on some forums etc and saw this mentioned as a recommendation to a few people with a similar budget.

obviously It’s a pre built system so I’m sure it’s more expensive that it’s worth if built at home but is it still way to over priced for what it is?

Edit: like with most I’ve looked at graphics card is out of stock anyway

Last edited:
Thanks allot for the advice I’ve had a look about on some forums etc and saw this mentioned as a recommendation to a few people with a similar budget.

obviously It’s a pre built system so I’m sure it’s more expensive that it’s worth if built at home but is it still way to over priced for what it is?

Edit: like with most I’ve looked at graphics card is out of stock anyway

even at the offer price i'd say its still (at least?) £200 more than building yourself

Some awful advice at the top of the page, no wonder the franchise cowboy companies are charging extortionate, because people are willing to pay it!

I build this today.

Logon or register to see this image

16gb of ram, AMD Ryzen 3600, GTX 1650 Super.

For £649.99. This beast won't be aging until the 30's

I bought a 32" inch HD gaming monitor on finance which was probably overpriced and it's actually like going to the cinemas playing games in 4k resolution

Last edited:
Some awful advice at the top of the page, no wonder the franchise cowboy companies are charging extortionate, because people are willing to pay it!

I build this today.

16gb of ram, AMD Ryzen 3600, GTX 1650 Super.

For £649.99. This beast won't be aging until the 30's

I bought a 32" inch HD gaming monitor on finance which was probably overpriced and it's actually like going to the cinemas playing games in 4k resolution

I'm starting my build now and I'm pretty sure I'm going for the 3700X, how have you found the 3600 as there's a big price difference and it's tempting....

I'm starting my build now and I'm pretty sure I'm going for the 3700X, how have you found the 3600 as there's a big price difference and it's tempting....

It depends what you're looking for really - Just brute power or extreme cost efficiency. You don't get better than a 3600 for a CPU which will last you a decade easy but in terms of brute power, the 3700X uses 8 cores at at the same speed which it automatically better, it's for you to decide is it worth paying the extra.

If a pre-built is your thing then AWD and Palicomp appear to be engaging in a pre-built slugfest

basically the prices are all coming in as good as buying the stuff yourself individually - so effectively they're building it for you for nowt

If a pre-built is your thing then AWD and Palicomp appear to be engaging in a pre-built slugfest

basically the prices are all coming in as good as buying the stuff yourself individually - so effectively they're building it for you for nowt

I bought mine from AWD 4 or so years ago I think now, just a budget one as I dont do a great deal of gaming but the build was very good nice and clean and no random Chinese PSU or owt :lol:

Just saw an ad from them flogging a one for 550 with a 2700x & a 5500xt which seems canny, has an older 320 motherboard and only 8 gigs of ram but has the option to upgrade those for not much at all

Last edited:
I bought mine from AWD 4 or so years ago I think now, just a budget one as I dont do a great deal of gaming but the build was very good nice and clean and no random Chinese PSU or owt :lol:

Just saw an ad from them flogging a one for 550 with a 2700x & a 5500xt which seems canny, has an older 320 motherboard and only 8 gigs of ram but has the option to upgrade those for not much at all

yeah, some crazy good deals out there (whether in stock or not is the question)

after seeing that £1100 build posted from overclockers, you can price up the same spec on AWD for £875ish

quick edit - none of this is helping the used market though

have just about finished messing around with an x79 build and was looking at x99 - but even the chinese prices are ridiculous. No point going old xeon at current used prices when ryzen 3100/3300x or the soon to be released i3 10100F are around

Last edited:
have just about finished messing around with an x79 build and was looking at x99 - but even the chinese prices are ridiculous. No point going old xeon at current used prices when ryzen 3100/3300x or the soon to be released i3 10100F are around

The 3300x is pretty much the 3600's baby brother, probably 2nd on all the time list of cost efficient parts, only 5-10 less fps than an i5 10400 and 15-20 less fps than a 3600, an extremely underrated chip.

I resarched parts for 2 and a half month prior to my build yesterday and the common thing I saw from retailers is they advertise below-par parts for extremely inflated prices in the hope the customers don't have a clue - The most common parts were all naff models of the I5, if you're going for an I5 then a 10400 is a must and even then you're ripping yourself off not going for the 3300X/3600, the other I5 models shouldn't even be in existance yet they sell like water to an arab in a desert.

The guy linking the 1050ti system at the top of the page gave me a good laugh, it's the exact system I replaced, and I bought that system for £390 13 years ago :D It's beyond robbery at that stage, it's borderline fruad :D
I think the 10100F is interesting. It's pretty much set the benchmark for an absolute minimum requirement to have a gaming rig of an average standard. It's not dreadful but it's not the 3600 either, its bang in the middle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back