Gaming PCs

Scan are a nightmare to return things to, I got some fans that I later found out were incompatible with my system, I didnt open them and they were immaculate but they wanted to charge me a restocking fee.

Fair enough charging me the return postage costs but taking a % off ontop was a bit of a pisstake.

Stuff like GPUs I tend to get from overclockers, you pay a bit more but they have awesome customer service. And I have free delivery being a forum poster.

Amazon are pretty awesome with their returns.

Best off asking in the goth forum

Schoolboy error?

Try to wait for Black Friday if you can
Build it yourself
Get advice on components from somewhere like Overclockers forums - they do great BF deals too
Sounds like tech lego hell ... ive since looked at the related thread looked at and got some ideas

Sounds like tech lego hell ... ive since looked at the related thread looked at and got some ideas
If you want to get into PC Gaming, its really worth knowing how it all works. You'll pay about the same, but you'll have better components, such as power supply and motherboards. And that means better upgrade opportunities in a couple of years' time.

If you want to get into PC Gaming, its really worth knowing how it all works. You'll pay about the same, but you'll have better components, such as power supply and motherboards. And that means better upgrade opportunities in a couple of years' time.
Tbf gaming is one use
The other main use is deep learning using tensorflow. So I'm after a rig with a decent / good graphics card ...
Piece of piss. I knew nowt and built one
Have you ever seen the father Ted episode when dougal is allowed to do a funeral... thats me building a pc
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
If you need everything from the ground up your better off buying a pre built one. Might cost about about an extra £100, but you can just take it back if it breaks.

Mate bought all the bits from overclockers and after 6 months it kept randomly shutting down.
Fortunately another mate had bought one very similar, so he swapped every bit one by one until they reckoned it can only be the motherboard.
After many calls and updates he sent the motherboard back to the manufacturer, who said there was nothing wrong with it, but sent another out anyway.
He had made a small mark on his to tell if it had been replaced.
Worked fine from then on but took a few weeks to sort out.

He said never again like, he'd spent about two grand and was ready to chuck the whole thing in frustration.

If you need everything from the ground up your better off buying a pre built one. Might cost about about an extra £100, but you can just take it back if it breaks.

Mate bought all the bits from overclockers and after 6 months it kept randomly shutting down.
Fortunately another mate had bought one very similar, so he swapped every bit one by one until they reckoned it can only be the motherboard.
After many calls and updates he sent the motherboard back to the manufacturer, who said there was nothing wrong with it, but sent another out anyway.
He had made a small mark on his to tell if it had been replaced.
Worked fine from then on but took a few weeks to sort out.

He said never again like, he'd spent about two grand and was ready to chuck the whole thing in frustration.
I must admit, not having a raft of spares at my disposal would put me off too. Its a fair point.

Back