Gaming PCs

About 1k max

including monitor, windows, keyboard and mouse?

Will you ever be doing anything else with it? The intel CPUs are the best for gaming (just), but if you do anything else the equivalently priced AMD convincingly beats it in everything else. So if your just gaming go Intel, if your doing anything else go AMD.

Last edited:
Tbf gaming is one use
The other main use is deep learning using tensorflow. So I'm after a rig with a decent / good graphics card ...

Have you ever seen the father Ted episode when dougal is allowed to do a funeral... thats me building a pc
Logon or register to see this image
Do a bit research, ask on here what parts you need, then use a pc part picker website to check compatibility. Buy It all then watch YouTube videos on building. I saved about £300 doing that.

Will you ever be doing anything else with it? The intel CPUs are the best for gaming (just), but if you do anything else the equivalently priced AMD convincingly beats it in everything else. So if your just gaming go Intel, if your doing anything else go AMD.
I got told the opposite. AMD is more bang for your buck.

I got told the opposite. AMD is more bang for your buck.

that's right, you do get more bang for your buck with AMD. Take for example the Ryzen 5 3600 and it's direct competitor, both just shy of £200. The intel is a faster clock speed but lower core count, the AMD is slower clock speed but more cores. Gaming favors clock speed are rarely uses all the cores. Most other things more cores is better.

that's right, you do get more bang for your buck with AMD. Take for example the Ryzen 5 3600 and it's direct competitor, both just shy of £200. The intel is a faster clock speed but lower core count, the AMD is slower clock speed but more cores. Gaming favors clock speed are rarely uses all the cores. Most other things more cores is better.

Very likely to be bad advice in 12 months.

pretty much everything is bad advice after 12 months. Are you expecting Zen3 to mean AMD take over intel when it comes to gaming?

Recommending intel is just a waste of money.

A Ferrari is better than a corsa but I wouldn't recommend it to a new car buyer.

Pound per frame intel are a shocking buy

Recommending intel is just a waste of money.

A Ferrari is better than a corsa but I wouldn't recommend it to a new car buyer.

Pound per frame intel are a shocking buy

I can't argue for general use, I personally use a Ryzen 3900x, but there is no getting around the fact that at the moment, pound for pound the intel CPU will give you a couple of extra frames per second in most games.

No just tower

No just tower
Don't get anything until the 30x0 NVIDIA cards are out, you probably want a 3070. They're going to be cheaper than what's currently available but much more efficient and powerful. If you're looking to spend a grand on just a tower then you want RTX and DLSS-capable.

Take this post seriously.

Last edited:
Don't get anything until the 30x0 NVIDIA cards are out, you probably want a 3070. They're going to be cheaper than what's currently available but much more efficient and powerful. If you're looking to spend a grand on just a tower then you want RTX and DLSS-capable.

I was thinking that, but what CPU would you pair with a RTX3070? I've specced one up for £500 excluding the GPU, but it's a Ryzen 5 3600, I am not sure if that will bottleneck at RTX3070? If it will, then you need to bump it up and therefore cant afford the RTX3070.
This was my thoughts on first look, you maybe able to get this stuff cheaper elsewhere.

CPU- Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard - MSI B550
Ram - 16gb 3200mhz
powersupply - 700w
ssd - 480gb NVME
hard drive - pick a cheap big one and pick a case you like the look of, totally personal preference on styling.

Leaves about £400 for a GPU, If you can't stretch that out to £500 for an RTX3070 (or cant find one) then look for second hand RTX2080 or 2080Ti, they'll be between 350 and 500 with the 3000 series is out in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I was thinking that, but what CPU would you pair with a RTX3070? I've specced one up for £500 excluding the GPU, but it's a Ryzen 5 3600, I am not sure if that will bottleneck at RTX3070? If it will, then you need to bump it up and therefore cant afford the RTX3070.
Haven't checked yet I'm afraid, I'm waiting til these are out then looking properly at a new build. Pretty certain I'll end up with 3060 or 3070 but yeah you could well be right, even my monitor would be a massive bottleneck for either at the moment like.

Either way, with RTX & DLSS, which is very much the future now, you have to be looking at one of the RTX series, and these will be half the price of the RTX2000

IMO there's no way you want to spend a grand on a new PC now, that can't play Cyberpunk with RTX when it comes out. It would be too brutal.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has a RTX3070 to actually do a full suite of tests for this kind of stuff, the only videos I've seen are unboxings of the 3080, plus one limited set of tests. The used market is going to be flooded with 2000 series cards. I'll bet you can get 2070 supers (my card) for £200 by christmas.

I don't think anyone has a RTX3070 to actually do a full suite of tests for this kind of stuff, the only videos I've seen are unboxings of the 3080, plus one limited set of tests. The used market is going to be flooded with 2000 series cards. I'll bet you can get 2070 supers (my card) for £200 by christmas.
Still embargoed

Good shout fella, was about to unload my cash on a machine ... I'll hold fire.
Thanks for all the info lads ... May your beers be many

Anyone know if this will be sound for COD on Ps4 as got it for nowt.

Obviously could just try it but thought I'd ask on here before I fuck about moving ps4

I can't argue for general use, I personally use a Ryzen 3900x, but there is no getting around the fact that at the moment, pound for pound the intel CPU will give you a couple of extra frames per second in most games.
I find that extremely unlikely to be true, frankly.

Back