Gaming PCs

I think the most important part in a system is the research on the parts, I've seen too many times companies trying to sell i5 systems for £800+ which is basically profiting on people who don't know anything about computers.

I like to buy for value. 11 years ago I bought an AMD6300 for £150, I'm still using it now, it's safe to say I've gotten my money out of it!
Since I returned the failed system from PCS I'm probably gonna for a value system again, if I bought an i5 for £800 I'd probably have to upgrade again in 5-7 years time.
if I bought an AMD3 Ryzen 3300X system for about £180 cheaper it'd probably the last the same 11 years my 6300 did, if I bought a 5 Ryzen 3600 it'd probably go beyond 15 years for about £750.

Recommending intel is just a waste of money.

A Ferrari is better than a corsa but I wouldn't recommend it to a new car buyer.

Pound per frame intel are a shocking buy

ryzen 3600 and the i5-10400 are roughly similar in price, and the i5 will give you a slightly better gaming performance

would i recommend anyone buying the i5 though - hell no

but your analogy was pretty crap

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Review: Non-X Marks the Spot

far cry, final fantasy 15, hitman 2, project cars 2 etc etc, all higher frame rates with the £200 i5 9600k vs the £189 R5 3600. Overclock the i5 to 5GHz and the gap increases. I'd still buy the AMD personally but I don't do all that much gaming.
First page:
5% price difference, and not a huge difference in performance.
But yeah, I'm surprised its essentially even pegging tbh

Then again, gaming is the intel special function, AMD "owns" just about everything else - so its even in its worst area.

ryzen 3600 and the i5-10400 are roughly similar in price, and the i5 will give you a slightly better gaming performance

would i recommend anyone buying the i5 though - hell no

but your analogy was pretty crap

But I don't need an expensive motherboard to get the most out of a 3600 i do with a 10400

Then if I was buying an expensive motherboard I wouldn't be choosing the 10400 I'd be choosing the 10600.

Nobody should buy a 10400 at all 😂

First page:
5% price difference, and not a huge difference in performance.
But yeah, I'm surprised its essentially even pegging tbh

Then again, gaming is the intel special function, AMD "owns" just about everything else - so its even in its worst area.

yup I agree. As I say I'd always suggest AMD unless you do nothing on it other than play games.
Nobody should buy a 10400 at all 😂

that chip will end up in hundreds of thousands of business computers, we've had the x400 chip in the last 5 years worth of dell optiplex all in ones.

Last edited:
yup I agree. As I say I'd always suggest AMD unless you do nothing on it other than play games.

that chip will end up in hundreds of thousands of business computers, we've had the x400 chip in the last 5 years worth of dell optiplex all in ones.

It's still an absolute poor buy.

Performance drops massively with low end boards.
On premium boards it doesn't make sense.

It's a poor recommendation sorry mate 😉

It's still an absolute poor buy.

Performance drops massively with low end boards.
On premium boards it doesn't make sense.

It's a poor recommendation sorry mate 😉

the board doesnt make that much difference to the performance. Well at least it didn't, we now have to conundrum of pci-e gen4 being on amd only at the minute, will RTX3000 saturate gen3 and therefore give better performance on AMD systems?

the board doesnt make that much difference to the performance. Well at least it didn't, we now have to conundrum of pci-e gen4 being on amd only at the minute, will RTX3000 saturate gen3 and therefore give better performance on AMD systems?

Go watch gamer nexus video and come back 😂

I think the most important part in a system is the research on the parts, I've seen too many times companies trying to sell i5 systems for £800+ which is basically profiting on people who don't know anything about computers.

I like to buy for value. 11 years ago I bought an AMD6300 for £150, I'm still using it now, it's safe to say I've gotten my money out of it!
Since I returned the failed system from PCS I'm probably gonna for a value system again, if I bought an i5 for £800 I'd probably have to upgrade again in 5-7 years time.
if I bought an AMD3 Ryzen 3300X system for about £180 cheaper it'd probably the last the same 11 years my 6300 did, if I bought a 5 Ryzen 3600 it'd probably go beyond 15 years for about £750.

I'm the same. Value per frame is key for me.

Yes there are better parts blah blah. But if it's double the price I'm paying per frame I'm not interested

Fuck me talk about giving bad advice. An i5400 over a AMD 5 series, I wouldn't buy an i5 over a 3 series and that's 2 generations prior!!

If you buy an i5-400 over an 3 300X, you get an extra 5 fps, if that even, for about £150 extra. That is bad advice.
And because the Ryzen 5 runs faster single core speeds, you'll get about 5 less fps for about £50 extra.

All intel chips are absolute trash unless you're comparing a I9 to a Ryzen 9, any earlier just no no no no no no and no.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Plenty to work with
Did you manage to get it sorted? If you're looking to build it yourself, I recommend using PC Part Picker - it finds the cheapest prices on specific PC parts. This might work in your budget. The cabling might be a bit of a tight fit, but it's a good challenge for the young'un!

If he needs a keyboard, mouse and headset - then this Redragon deal on Amazon is decent. They're a canny budget peripheral company.

Lastly, if he also needs a monitor, then this will squeeze into the £800 budget.

Did you manage to get it sorted? If you're looking to build it yourself, I recommend using PC Part Picker - it finds the cheapest prices on specific PC parts. This might work in your budget. The cabling might be a bit of a tight fit, but it's a good challenge for the young'un!

If he needs a keyboard, mouse and headset - then this Redragon deal on Amazon is decent. They're a canny budget peripheral company.

Lastly, if he also needs a monitor, then this will squeeze into the £800 budget.

I assume the semi-modular psu was because the case is a ballache to build in

;)

i think i'd be waiting till end of next month if it were me, ram and ssd prices continue to fall, mobo prices might have returned to a more normal level by then

and the big kicker, lets see what will happen to the low end GPU market once Amd release next month - i'd expect to see brand new 570 & 580 8gb cards for under £140 by then as shops try and dump stock, and hopefully 2nd hand prices will be in the £90-£100 region as well (if not better)

Sorry to jump on this thread but thought I would rather than start a new one.

I'm currently in they process of planning my next build to start soon but just after any thoughts.

Case: Nzxt Elite
Motherboard: MSI 550 Gaming Edge WiFi
Ram: 16/32 GB 3600mhz ddr4 ( undecided on size yet)
Storage: 2 x Nvme ssds
GPU: Undecided
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600(x or xt) or 3700X
Cooler: liquid Kraken m22

It's the cpu I would like so advice on, my last build was Intel and it's been great but I prefer AMD so going back to them. I won't be over clocking or doing anything that will max out the pc.

At most I'll be playing some call of duty and maybe streaming but generally it will be for normal use plus gaming but nothing that will push it to the boundaries.

Will the 3600 range be enough? Should I get better or wait for the new range to be announced soon.

Thanks in advance

Sorry to jump on this thread but thought I would rather than start a new one.

I'm currently in they process of planning my next build to start soon but just after any thoughts.

Case: Nzxt Elite
Motherboard: MSI 550 Gaming Edge WiFi
Ram: 16/32 GB 3600mhz ddr4 ( undecided on size yet)
Storage: 2 x Nvme ssds
GPU: Undecided
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600(x or xt) or 3700X
Cooler: liquid Kraken m22

It's the cpu I would like so advice on, my last build was Intel and it's been great but I prefer AMD so going back to them. I won't be over clocking or doing anything that will max out the pc.

At most I'll be playing some call of duty and maybe streaming but generally it will be for normal use plus gaming but nothing that will push it to the boundaries.

Will the 3600 range be enough? Should I get better or wait for the new range to be announced soon.

Thanks in advance

my thoughts have'nt changed. If AMD were'nt about to announce the 5000 range and big Navi then a 3600 cpu with a 5700xt would be plenty enough

everything else is a good choice, its just i would'nt jump on the above until the new releases (for ex - why risk buying a 3600 now if AMD release a 5600cpu in a weeks time at the same price point) - (and the same for a GPU)

i really need to upgrade my rx470 (then i can pop that into my messaround test bench, and put the 1030 back into the media pc), so i'm hoping Big Navi will mean either 5700xt prices come down or that they'll be doing a new budget king to replace the rx470/480/570/580

Back