Flat-Earther in a homemade rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok , so when the boat makes the return journey is it going uphill?
No.

Trying to write this in a clear way, I can see why it causes confusion and hopefully someone will jump on this and explain it better. In a globe earth, the centre of gravity is the centre of the earth. Any ‘going uphill’ involves moving away from this centre of gravity. If you imagine the earth is as smooth as a marble, then everywhere on the surface is the same distance from the centre of the earth and is said to have the same gravitational potential. Stick a hill on it then anything on the top of that hill has raised it’s gravitational potential.

In the example of a boat sailing away, it is not going uphill or downhill, it is sailing round the earth at the same gravitational potential, it remains the same distance from the centre of the earth. It dips below the horizon as it goes round the curve in relation to the observer. If you were on the beach at Dover watching a boat sail out to Calais then it would look a bit like it was going downhill, but to someone at Calais it would look like it is going uphill. It does neither.

The astronauts who didn't go there didn't place reflectors that we cant bounce lasers off to not be able to tell the distance
That is the definitive way, but they had a pretty good idea before, otherwise they could have run out of fuel. Thankfully it has been proven for a couple of thousand years, see:
Do-It-Yourself Guide to Measuring the Moon's Distance - Universe Today

Last edited:

how do I know how far away it is , but if professional liars tell me its 240k miles away I question it

people say that but why must it? , the moon is a disc shaped luminary in the sky , that's all I know for certain about the moon
:lol:

And the Earth is a disc shaped luminary in the sky from all the satellite photos....

how do I know how far away it is , but if professional liars tell me its 240k miles away I question it

people say that but why must it? , the moon is a disc shaped luminary in the sky , that's all I know for certain about the moon
So what do you know?

And have you ever tried to work out the distance to the moon by yourself?

making the point , water doesn't go up or downhill sticking to a ball spinning at 1000mph
It doesn't make your point, just exposes your ignorance. Incredulous assertions don't constitute an argument.

In this case, you're trying extrapolate observations on the earth, to make proclamations about the universe - which is a fallacy, and doesn't work. Of course 'water doesn't stick to a spinning ball' in local, miniscule replications - because a tennis ball/football (anything you can think of) is smaller than the earth you're standing on! The earth necessarily has a bigger mass than anything on it, which means it has a bigger gravitational pull.

There's very little you know for certain, and that isn't one of the things.

Last edited:
your not living on a spinning ball dude

that's right , boats don't go uphill or downhill do they , its called sea LEVEL for a reason
Yes, it is a level gravitational plane. That is (as I explained earlier) each point at sea level is the same distance from the gravitational centre of gravity. Each object has the same gravitational potential. Level does not mean flat so you can stick a massive ruler on it.

Yes, it is a level gravitational plane. That is (as I explained earlier) each point at sea level is the same distance from the gravitational centre of gravity. Each object has the same gravitational potential. Level does not mean flat so you can stick a massive ruler on it.
science comes up with lots of far out theories to make sense of the globe lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back