Flat-Earther in a homemade rocket

“My story really is incredible,” Hughes reflected after his mission. “It's got a bunch of story lines - the garage-built thing. I'm an older guy. It's out in the middle of nowhere, plus the Flat Earth. The problem is it brings out all the nuts also, people questioning everything. It's the downside of all this.”

:eek::lol:
If he wasn't dead already I'd swear that this had the hallmarks of a Terry Pratchett short story...but without the inevitable tragic ending as a punchline.

the startling truth is we live on a flat motionless enclosed plane and thus are here via intelligent design
That's a complete non-sequitur, even if your flat earth assertion were actually true or rationally justified.

Last edited:
That's a complete non-sequitur, even if your flat earth assertion were actually true or rationally justified.
There is some 'logic' to that argument. When you look at the universe around us, get above a sufficient mass and gravity pulls things into a ball. We can see the moon, the sun, other planets and for some the moons of those planets are all balls, using even just a small telescope. If earth is flat then it is clearly very very special, for reasons science can not explain.

We can measure that every mass has a gravitational pull and the pull of the earth is consistent with a large round body of rock and iron. For the earth to have formed in the appearance of a giant biscuit, then for all the things that we can observe to work exactly as you would expect on a globe (sunset, sun rise, tides, moon phase, eclipse, weather patterns, space flight, the path of the ISS, etc), there has to be some kind of gravity faking magic going on. No physical mechanism has ever been explained for these things and it is very difficult to see how any of it would work. However introduce a giant invisible space wizard keeping things ticking over and it all fits.

The only other alternative is that it is all a load of bollocks.

a question to the globers , when you stand on a beach and watch a boat sail out of view , what exactly do you think is happening ?

Would it not remain in view if it was flat?
no . the limitations of the eye and atmospheric conditions would mean eventually it would go out of sight . what im interested in is folk who think the boat is going over the curve, hence out of view , anyone who thinks this please reply as I have a question for you

no . the limitations of the eye and atmospheric conditions would mean eventually it would go out of sight . what im interested in is folk who think the boat is going over the curve, hence out of view , anyone who thinks this please reply as I have a question for you

I think this

How do we see the moon then? The moon is about 240,000 miles away and I can see it clearly through the limitations of my eyes and the same atmosphere.

What's the question?

if the earth is flat then why (pre-radar) did sailing ships have crow's nests, or battleships have spotting tops.

(in fact, why when radar is fitted to ships is it placed at the highest point possible)

in your world if the earth is flat why bother with being as high up as possible if nothing disappears over the horizon

There is some 'logic' to that argument. When you look at the universe around us, get above a sufficient mass and gravity pulls things into a ball. We can see the moon, the sun, other planets and for some the moons of those planets are all balls, using even just a small telescope. If earth is flat then it is clearly very very special, for reasons science can not explain.

We can measure that every mass has a gravitational pull and the pull of the earth is consistent with a large round body of rock and iron. For the earth to have formed in the appearance of a giant biscuit, then for all the things that we can observe to work exactly as you would expect on a globe (sunset, sun rise, tides, moon phase, eclipse, weather patterns, space flight, the path of the ISS, etc), there has to be some kind of gravity faking magic going on. No physical mechanism has ever been explained for these things and it is very difficult to see how any of it would work. However introduce a giant invisible space wizard keeping things ticking over and it all fits.

The only other alternative is that it is all a load of bollocks.
Science cannot currently explain the origin of the universe or abiogenesis - but arguing that a god is therefore the explanation a) would be a false dichotomy, b) an argument from ignorance fallacy, and c) not even true - because god has not been demonstrated to be even in the pool of possible answers.
There is no intrinsic connection between a god and a flat earth, and in a hypothetical universe with a flat earth, we're already waaay off the deep end of abandoning physics, so I wouldn't assume those models hold :)

Science cannot currently explain the origin of the universe or abiogenesis - but arguing that a god is therefore the explanation a) would be a false dichotomy, b) an argument from ignorance fallacy, and c) not even true - because god has not been demonstrated to be even in the pool of possible answers.
There is no intrinsic connection between a god and a flat earth, and in a hypothetical universe with a flat earth, we're already waaay off the deep end of abandoning physics, so I wouldn't assume those models hold :)
You missed out the question about how this thing they call god would have come into existent in the first place.

why do you think the moon is 240k miles away?
Ah, the aged old art of deflection........

Why do I think that? I've read it, been told it and seen it on TV and all conducted by mathematicians & physicist using tools like lasers and the formula for the speed of light to work it out.

How far is the moon away by chance in case I am wrong in my assumption.

ok , so when the boat makes the return journey is it going uphill?

Probaby! And just think of the fuel savings getting there, once out of view, engines off and coasting downhill.

Back