First time buyer - house viewing

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was planning permission put in to build in behind our street a year or so ago, it didn't really bother me as once it was built it would create 6 spaces but during the build it would be a nightmare. Saying that during the day it's easy to park anyway. So builders vans etc would be gone when it's a big problem.

Of course the 2 who complained about it, and the parking issues it would cause are the 2 who cause the most problems as they have driveways but don't use them! And one was the bloke who hit my car but didn't bother to tell me, he had also hit a neighbour's Merc and never told her either. We guessed because of the matching scrapes that matched his bumper :evil:
I'm told it'll be ready by the end of August :cry:

Can you not park across the entrance to your drive ?
It's a free for all once your out on the street. If I'm lucky I get one close by, but mostly I'm a couple 100 yds down the road. Thankfully I haven't got a decent car, because I've already had both wing mirrors smashed. During the day, the builders park their vans, and then of course they get deliveries too. It's currently being faced in stone, which will need pointing and then the roof will be finished off. It's a massive house, and way bigger than it looked on the plans we were shown.

Im viewing a house tomorrow, and probably a number of others in the coming weeks. What sort of things do I need to be asking the owners/what should I look out for?

Obviously things like; has anyone been murdered here? Is it haunted? Do the neighbours buck really loudly every night? (It’s a terraced house) Etc’ etc’.

If the house has a garden, look out for any retaining walls in the garden, patio etc. We had massive problems with subsidence to the garden/patio but not the house itself after moving in.

Check the type of surface beneath the ground ( whether it's chalk, clay etc) and if there is any history of subsudence in the area. Well worth paying a surveyor to do this for you. We ended up having to take 2nd mortgage when we already strapped financially.

In any event, as well as the many tips here, check all the lights work. If they don't then there might be an electrical problem the seller is trying to hide. For me I wouldn't buy a house again without a full survey.

Do also check the neighbourhood out at different times, evenings, then see what it's like when people are home from work. Check the parking, especially if you have to park on the street.

Good luck

If the house has a garden, look out for any retaining walls in the garden, patio etc. We had massive problems with subsidence to the garden/patio but not the house itself after moving in.

Check the type of surface beneath the ground ( whether it's chalk, clay etc) and if there is any history of subsudence in the area. Well worth paying a surveyor to do this for you. We ended up having to take 2nd mortgage when we already strapped financially.

In any event, as well as the many tips here, check all the lights work. If they don't then there might be an electrical problem the seller is trying to hide. For me I wouldn't buy a house again without a full survey.

Do also check the neighbourhood out at different times, evenings, then see what it's like when people are home from work. Check the parking, especially if you have to park on the street.

Good luck

Saw one on Saturday that doesn’t even have the for sale sign up yet. Going to ring the estate agents tomorrow and offer the asking price. It’s lower than my budget anyway and I don’t want to lose out through quibbling over price.

Has a drive and a garage round the back in a block of garages.

It’s absolutelt mint and I’m really excited about it. Hope I don’t find out someone has already made an offer on it tomorrow :lol:

Saw one on Saturday that doesn’t even have the for sale sign up yet. Going to ring the estate agents tomorrow and offer the asking price. It’s lower than my budget anyway and I don’t want to lose out through quibbling over price.

It’s absolutelt mint and I’m really excited about it. Hope I don’t find out someone has already made an offer on it tomorrow :lol:

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Nowt. If your lass likes it, you're moving in.
We had a canny short list, my lass (no) dismissed a fair few of them as the gardens weren't big enough and wouldn't even view them .We then bought the house over the road from her mam which didn't have a garden. :lol:

Offer accepted! Just need to get my mortgage in principle and proof of deposit over to get it off the market.

Not sure I can concentrate on work now! :)

Obviously solicitors and surveys to sort now but I’m dead happy!

Chuffed to bits for you pet :D

Do you need a mortgage broker? I know a class lad from Stanley who sorted a remortgage for me recently.

Chuffed to bits for you pet :D

Do you need a mortgage broker? I know a class lad from Stanley who sorted a remortgage for me recently.

I’m ok tbh. I did speak to one and he didn’t find me anything I couldn’t find myself.

I’m going with HSBC, they seem to be very competitive.

I didnt even want to view ours i couldnt be arsed. I knew the area was alright and what we were paying was the going rate.

Ended up going because she wanted me to but it was all pretty pointless really.

@dangermows knars the score.

One thing i would check is flooding. Ours backs onto a load of fields and a load of rain means i get a stream coming through me shed n garden. Reet fuck on cleaning the mud off

Just over two months on then... I’m completing next week.

Transferring my solicitor the money to complete was an almost sickening feeling :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back