Ex smoker 49, fatter. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What worked for you mate? A particular diet, more exercise? Well done.
SOmeone suggested myfitnesspal. Worked a treat.

Start some serious resistance training and combine n00b gainz with Christmas gainz!

In all seriousness though, very well done!
Had to google that. :oops::lol:

So basically I can turn some of the excess into muscle? Didnt know that.

Xmas excess, that is

Last edited:

I've just started with a personal trainer and for the first 6 weeks or so it's 6 small meals a day, making sure the last meal is carb free and that the breakfast is as big as I can manage.
Looks a bit like this at the minute:

Breakfast - Porridge and 2 scrambled egg whites
Snack - Carrot Sticks and humous
Lunch - Chicken, Sweet Potatoes, brown rice
Snack - boiled eggs with cucumber and peppers
Snack - Banana and mixed nuts (just before the gym)
Evening meal - steak/white fish with asparagus
Plus about 3 litres of water give or take, round about Christmas this changes to chicken, spinach and not a great deal else! I will get myself in good nick!

I've just started with a personal trainer and for the first 6 weeks or so it's 6 small meals a day, making sure the last meal is carb free and that the breakfast is as big as I can manage.
Looks a bit like this at the minute:

Breakfast - Porridge and 2 scrambled egg whites
Snack - Carrot Sticks and humous
Lunch - Chicken, Sweet Potatoes, brown rice
Snack - boiled eggs with cucumber and peppers
Snack - Banana and mixed nuts (just before the gym)
Evening meal - steak/white fish with asparagus
Plus about 3 litres of water give or take, round about Christmas this changes to chicken, spinach and not a great deal else! I will get myself in good nick!

Hope you get good results mate, but he sounds like a bit of a 'broscientist'. Eating 6 small meals a day does nothing in regards to speeding the metabolism and making sure last meal is carb free does nothing for lipogenesis. I'd maybe raise the question to him as to whether he's familiar with glycogen. I'd also be a bit concerned as to the fat content of the diet; there's nuts and steak in there, but I'm guessing the portion sizes aren't that big.

Hope you get good results mate, but he sounds like a bit of a 'broscientist'. Eating 6 small meals a day does nothing in regards to speeding the metabolism and making sure last meal is carb free does nothing for lipogenesis. I'd maybe raise the question to him as to whether he's familiar with glycogen. I'd also be a bit concerned as to the fat content of the diet; there's nuts and steak in there, but I'm guessing the portion sizes aren't that big.

Relatively small portions yeah, I'm a week in and already started to change shape a bit, not noticeable for anybody else but I can see a difference, jeans are a bit looser etc, seems to be working canny so far.

Finally about to hit my target this week. Im 1.1 lbs off 10 stone. A gross loss of 3 stone since starting this thread in July. Gone from a 38" waist to a 30 (and they're a bit baggy now).

Ive been toning up using a 10Kg kettle bell. 30 swing reps 3 times a day and after a slow start Im now now managing 20 mins on the exercise cycle. I dont feel 10 years younger, no, I feel 20 years younger! I get to the top of stairs and realise i just ran up them. I never get out of breath.

However I am worried about the festive season. less exercise and more food.

Well done m8, it took me two years to lose 3 stone but I continued to binge on weekends. Further back in this thread you mentioned starting a home gym, http://uk.bodylastics.com/ was where I started. You can buy a complete set to train your whole body for about £60.The whole kit fits into a bag and takes up no room. Loads of different exercises, they have a web site where you can download or follow along with their daily workout. Chose to build muscle or burn calories or both. These are cheaper than shelling out for a set of weights, bench etc. If you get the bug which seems likely given the progress you have made you can add weights etc later.
I moved on to weights a few years ago, built a squat rack, etc but still use my resistance bands as part of my routine.
Previous posters have said that you could utilise the extra calories you are bound to consume over the hols into building muscle. Strength/resistance training will enable you to do just that.
My advice for what its worth, treat your " diet" as a lifestyle, something that you can do and will stick to for ever. You have put a big crack in the dam wall by losing all that weight. Start building on your training and you will move onwards and upwards.
As stated previously the more you train, the more you can eat.
Once again well done, I know how much effort you must have put in.

Well done m8, it took me two years to lose 3 stone but I continued to binge on weekends. Further back in this thread you mentioned starting a home gym, http://uk.bodylastics.com/ was where I started. You can buy a complete set to train your whole body for about £60.The whole kit fits into a bag and takes up no room. Loads of different exercises, they have a web site where you can download or follow along with their daily workout. Chose to build muscle or burn calories or both. These are cheaper than shelling out for a set of weights, bench etc. If you get the bug which seems likely given the progress you have made you can add weights etc later.
I moved on to weights a few years ago, built a squat rack, etc but still use my resistance bands as part of my routine.
Previous posters have said that you could utilise the extra calories you are bound to consume over the hols into building muscle. Strength/resistance training will enable you to do just that.
My advice for what its worth, treat your " diet" as a lifestyle, something that you can do and will stick to for ever. You have put a big crack in the dam wall by losing all that weight. Start building on your training and you will move onwards and upwards.
As stated previously the more you train, the more you can eat.
Once again well done, I know how much effort you must have put in.
Cheers marra. Wow that looks like just what I need! I'm still loosing weight even though Ive told Myfitnesspal I just want to maintain my weight & am eating more now (I've completely changed what I eat though!). I'm now 9 stone 11! (I'm sure this will go up over xmas). I am getting the bug... I find myself parking at the furthest possible space from the doors at supermarkets just to increase my walk distance. Me Missus (no!) can hardly keep up with me now the weight has gone. Im doing 20 to 30 Mins a day on my 10Kg kettle bell exercises but I will be ordering the kit you recommend. Only worry is I live in a new build and the internal doors are shitey lightweight MDF. Will they be strong enough to take the anchors?

Thanks m8 :)

Cheers marra. Wow that looks like just what I need! I'm still loosing weight even though Ive told Myfitnesspal I just want to maintain my weight & am eating more now (I've completely changed what I eat though!). I'm now 9 stone 11! (I'm sure this will go up over xmas). I am getting the bug... I find myself parking at the furthest possible space from the doors at supermarkets just to increase my walk distance. Me Missus (no!) can hardly keep up with me now the weight has gone. Im doing 20 to 30 Mins a day on my 10Kg kettle bell exercises but I will be ordering the kit you recommend. Only worry is I live in a new build and the internal doors are shitey lightweight MDF. Will they be strong enough to take the anchors?

Thanks m8 :)

You can anchor, loop it around anything basically. Even lightweight internal doors. Best to have the resistance pulling to shut the door if you know what I mean. Pleased to be of assistance, I know how hard you have tried. If you can add resistance training and you havn' t trained before you are primed to build some muscle.
There are certainly more knowledgeable posters on here re training than me but if you need any advice or help feel free to ask. I have loads of links to different weight training/ diet programs depending on your goals.

Have a look on their website they used to do a several different workouts a day for different goals and you could go back a couple of months and rerun each of their workouts.
Like I said earlier these bands were how I started, got the bug and then evolved into buying weights, bench etc.
Google kettlebell training and you will get some more ideas to add to your training regime.

You can anchor, loop it around anything basically. Even lightweight internal doors. Best to have the resistance pulling to shut the door if you know what I mean. Pleased to be of assistance, I know how hard you have tried. If you can add resistance training and you havn' t trained before you are primed to build some muscle.
There are certainly more knowledgeable posters on here re training than me but if you need any advice or help feel free to ask. I have loads of links to different weight training/ diet programs depending on your goals.

Have a look on their website they used to do a several different workouts a day for different goals and you could go back a couple of months and rerun each of their workouts.
Like I said earlier these bands were how I started, got the bug and then evolved into buying weights, bench etc.
Google kettlebell training and you will get some more ideas to add to your training regime.
My Bodylastic kit arrived today... And was promptly put away for my xmas box by the missus (no!). Boooo!

I've never trained before other than during my weight loss with my kettlebell. Cant wait to get started. If I could have looked into the future a year ago and saw this thread Id have been certain my SMB account had been hacked. :p

My Bodylastic kit arrived today... And was promptly put away for my xmas box by the missus (no!). Boooo!

I've never trained before other than during my weight loss with my kettlebell. Cant wait to get started. If I could have looked into the future a year ago and saw this thread Id have been certain my SMB account had been hacked. :p

Terrible news, we are all well aware which species rules. You can still access their web site, look at workouts etc. If you want to start now without any gear google bodyweight training, a whole nation of training awaits. Keep it going m8.

Well I never! After a session of 'horizontal jogging', the Missus (no!) complemented me on, ahem, the size of my 'Gentleman's Department'. Asked if Id been tying my bodylastics kit to it or something! So when I had a quiet moment I checked the mirror and she seemed to be right. A quick google later and I had it confirmed - being fat shrinks it, (well pulls it inwards behind the fat so there is less of it to show externally).

What a flippin bonus! Why dont they publicise this somewhat desirable side effect to male weight loss? What an Incentive!

9 stone 10.

Well I never! After a session of 'horizontal jogging', the Missus (no!) complemented me on, ahem, the size of my 'Gentleman's Department'. Asked if Id been tying my bodylastics kit to it or something! So when I had a quiet moment I checked the mirror and she seemed to be right. A quick google later and I had it confirmed - being fat shrinks it, (well pulls it inwards behind the fat so there is less of it to show externally).

What a flippin bonus! Why dont they publicise this somewhat desirable side effect to male weight loss? What an Incentive!

9 stone 10.

Not much point for her just to mention that your phallus seems to have been stretched by attaching kettlebells to it.

If she really loved you she'd have at least offered a quick tug to stretch it further.

You should kick her in the fanny.

@TOONDOON
So how long should I be using my bodylastics kit on each session for and how many sessions / rest days per week?

Cracking bit of kit like! Thanks for the tip.

Since packing in smoking last October I've put on a couple of stone. It ALL gone on me belly. Its flippin massive compared to the rest of me. I look like I'm pregnant at some points in the day!

Im 49, drive a lot, dont get much chance to exercise (busy working behind a desk when not driving).

I dont overeat. Everything we eat is fresh, healthy and not processed. Never bother with breakfast. Have 1 round (2 slices) of home made sarnies a day - usually cheese or tuna. Main meal early evening, odd bag of crisps / nuts. Dont eat chocolate / cakes or sweet stuff.

I enjoy a couple of G&T's most evenings - late on about an hour before bed - with slimline tonics.

Why am I getting fatter and what can anyone recommend to get rid bearing in mind age & lifestyle?

Very similar to me mate.. The answer is quite simple.. eat less, more healthy and exercise more. This is supposed to work, but it's not going to plan for me.

Track your food intake with something like myfitnesspal... record EVERYTHING to see what you are eating.

Thanks for posting that link. Looks very good an certainly worth a try.
Which (starter) kit would you recommend from that website?

Thanks for posting that link. Looks very good an certainly worth a try.
Which (starter) kit would you recommend from that website?
I got the £38 Max Tension kit on Toondoon's recommendation. Seems to cover all angles for me right now. (I can't pull the top two yet but am building muscle up so they will come into play at some point). You can use two / three together so most weight combinations are possible.

Very similar to me mate.. The answer is quite simple.. eat less, more healthy and exercise more. This is supposed to work, but it's not going to plan for me.

Track your food intake with something like myfitnesspal... record EVERYTHING to see what you are eating.
Stick at it, that's what I did (read back through this thread for progress details). 6 months on and it's all done now. 3.5 stone lost and I'm now weight training with me bodylastics kit. The belly is completely gone!

I got the £38 Max Tension kit on Toondoon's recommendation. Seems to cover all angles for me right now. (I can't pull the top two yet but am building muscle up so they will come into play at some point). You can use two / three together so most weight combinations are possible.

Stick at it, that's what I did (read back through this thread for progress details). 6 months on and it's all done now. 3.5 stone lost and I'm now weight training with me bodylastics kit. The belly is completely gone!

I've dieted for 1/2 that time but only lost 1/12 of the weight you have. So I'm getting very different results to you.

I've dieted for 1/2 that time but only lost 1/12 of the weight you have. So I'm getting very different results to you.
Not sure if any of this will help you... I used myfitnesspal, but aimed for 100 calories below what it recommended to intake per day. I found eating up to the daily limit it gives you didnt work, I just hovered around the same weight.

I spent a lot of time browsing the shop shelves (online) comparing so called reduced fat products and found Sainsburys (a shop I have always particularly disliked) "Be Good To Your Self" range had the lowest fat tastiest stuff. Costs more but enabled me to still eat most stuff I used to but with a lower calorie haul. I learned to look beyond the term "reduced fat" as the law states it must be 30% less fat to be labelled as 'reduced fat' and sought out "half fat" stuff. Its rarer but can be found in some of the supermarkets.

I substituted many foods for lower calorie versions such as half fat cheese, skinny Danish bread, Low fat' light' spreads instead of butter (i got used to the different taste eventually). Sweetners instead of sugar. Low fat sausages. The biggy was swapping 'normal' crisps for Ringo's / Aldi Cheese Curls (Quavers).

As an example: Normal crisps are around 135 calories, Aldi's cheese curls are just 64 calories, Ringo's 67. Another example: A cheese sandwich before my diet amounted to 349 calories. After I discovered the above products it came out at just 171 calories.

I also cut out the most fatty foods altogether such as chocolate and nuts. I've not had salted nuts since June, nor pork pie, nor pizza amongst other fatty stuff. I virtually never have tinned veg, swapped for fresh or frozen - way way lower in cals. If I want fatty foods - admittedly only over Christmas - I check out Iceland as they seem to have the lowest calorie versions (Coctail sausages / mini sausage rolls / thin base pizzas)

After the frst stone came off I noticed I could walk faster and didnt get out of breath. I started parking at the furthest point from the door at the supermarkets. I then started parking about half a mile away from my appointments and walking. I installed Pacer on my phone which counts your steps, converts this to calories earned and adds them to myfitnesspal automatically. This became an addictive incentive as Id find I had earned enough calories to allow an extra treat on days that I'd walked. for example around half an hour meant an extra bag of Ringos and still over 100 calories left!

Ive kept this up over Christmas. Choosing Mini Mince pies from Lidl at 85 calories compared to over 200 for some of the standard size ones. I still feel Ive had a mince pie. Mr Kiplin Christmas cake slices rather than a geet big wedge I would have norally have had etc.

Im now skinny and am looking to tone up. Ive got the bodylastics kit and am ordering a treadmill so I can walk at home. Im looking into whey protein to increase my protein intake. Ill also be changing my diet again this new year with more protein rich meat so I can turn it to muscle. However most of the changes in foods such as sweeteners for sugar and skinny bread, butter and crisps will never change now.

Stick at it marra. I hope the above helps and I apologise if im spouting stuff you already knew / have tried.

Not sure if any of this will help you... I used myfitnesspal, but aimed for 100 calories below what it recommended to intake per day. I found eating up to the daily limit it gives you didnt work, I just hovered around the same weight.

I spent a lot of time browsing the shop shelves (online) comparing so called reduced fat products and found Sainsburys (a shop I have always particularly disliked) "Be Good To Your Self" range had the lowest fat tastiest stuff. Costs more but enabled me to still eat most stuff I used to but with a lower calorie haul. I learned to look beyond the term "reduced fat" as the law states it must be 30% less fat to be labelled as 'reduced fat' and sought out "half fat" stuff. Its rarer but can be found in some of the supermarkets.

I substituted many foods for lower calorie versions such as half fat cheese, skinny Danish bread, Low fat' light' spreads instead of butter (i got used to the different taste eventually). Sweetners instead of sugar. Low fat sausages. The biggy was swapping 'normal' crisps for Ringo's / Aldi Cheese Curls (Quavers).

As an example: Normal crisps are around 135 calories, Aldi's cheese curls are just 64 calories, Ringo's 67. Another example: A cheese sandwich before my diet amounted to 349 calories. After I discovered the above products it came out at just 171 calories.

I also cut out the most fatty foods altogether such as chocolate and nuts. I've not had salted nuts since June, nor pork pie, nor pizza amongst other fatty stuff. I virtually never have tinned veg, swapped for fresh or frozen - way way lower in cals. If I want fatty foods - admittedly only over Christmas - I check out Iceland as they seem to have the lowest calorie versions (Coctail sausages / mini sausage rolls / thin base pizzas)

After the frst stone came off I noticed I could walk faster and didnt get out of breath. I started parking at the furthest point from the door at the supermarkets. I then started parking about half a mile away from my appointments and walking. I installed Pacer on my phone which counts your steps, converts this to calories earned and adds them to myfitnesspal automatically. This became an addictive incentive as Id find I had earned enough calories to allow an extra treat on days that I'd walked. for example around half an hour meant an extra bag of Ringos and still over 100 calories left!

Ive kept this up over Christmas. Choosing Mini Mince pies from Lidl at 85 calories compared to over 200 for some of the standard size ones. I still feel Ive had a mince pie. Mr Kiplin Christmas cake slices rather than a geet big wedge I would have norally have had etc.

Im now skinny and am looking to tone up. Ive got the bodylastics kit and am ordering a treadmill so I can walk at home. Im looking into whey protein to increase my protein intake. Ill also be changing my diet again this new year with more protein rich meat so I can turn it to muscle. However most of the changes in foods such as sweeteners for sugar and skinny bread, butter and crisps will never change now.

Stick at it marra. I hope the above helps and I apologise if im spouting stuff you already knew / have tried.
Nee bother mate, thanks for the tips.

Thing is my diet is 1500 calories a day and at 5' 6" it should be dropping off, even for someone like me who's not that active. I can't realistically reduce it any further without it becoming unhealthy.

@TOONDOON
So how long should I be using my bodylastics kit on each session for and how many sessions / rest days per week?

Cracking bit of kit like! Thanks for the tip.

Sorry for late reply m8, I've been out of fettle. What are your main goals? Add muscle, get fitter etc.
http://www.bodylastics.com/liveworkouts/
A couple of links for your info.

http://liveexercise.com/2014/08/25/one-of-a-kind-resistance-band-workout/ This is another link which may be of use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back