Ex smoker 49, fatter. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapid weight loss can be motivating but it is unsustainable and unhealthy. The Dukan diet isn’t nutritionally balanced, which is acknowledged by the fact that you need a vitamin supplement and a fibre top-up in the form of oat bran. There’s a danger this type of diet could increase your risk of long-term health problems if you don’t stick to the rules. The diet lacks variety in the initial phases so there’s a risk you’ll get bored quickly and give up.

From that link you gave. Sounds dodgy, the 5:2 diet sounds better for you

ive packed in (again) and I put a stone on in the first 2 months, didn't eat any more or any less, I was told one reason may be that when you smoke you put toxins in your body , and to get rid of them the body works hard to get rid of them thus speeding up the metabolisim, since you have packed in the body is relaxing as its not working as hard now, seems logical whether its true I don't know, , .
ive now lost the extra stone (9months in to packing in) feel healthier have more energy , lost the craving , and cant stand the smell of them,
Makes perfect sense.

Gand T every night.

Stop this, bad for you and a ton of calories.

Also, find time for exercise. Its not just about weight. Your body, heart lungs etc need to work harder.

But the fact is that the weight that you have gained over the years needs to be removed, even is your net calorie intake is in balance at the moment.

Try the Dukan diet system. Book available in Amazon etc.
Been following the Myfitnesspal diet since I saw it on this thread. I'm now 12 stone 4 and was 13 stone. What an education its been. Difference between certain foods is immense! Ill look up the Dukan diet now..

Last edited:
Anybody who is set on rapid fat loss for some reason should download Lyle McDonald's 'Rapid Fatloss handbook'. Lyle is incredibly intelligent and doesn't cherry pick data to suit his agenda.

Now 11 stone 9lbs. thats a loss of 19lbs since starting this thread :D

Ive lost most of the belly fat, now looking to tone up what's left and get shot of the moobs.

Been looking at them cowbell things but am worried about tweaking my lower back which I can put out just by carrying a watering can full of water!

Blood pressures lower than its been for years too!

Its all good.

Now 11 stone 9lbs. thats a loss of 19lbs since starting this thread :D

Ive lost most of the belly fat, now looking to tone up what's left and get shot of the moobs.

Been looking at them cowbell things but am worried about tweaking my lower back which I can put out just by carrying a watering can full of water!

Blood pressures lower than its been for years too!

Its all good.

Cowbells? Do you mean kettle bells? :lol:

Since packing in smoking last October I've put on a couple of stone. It ALL gone on me belly. Its flippin massive compared to the rest of me. I look like I'm pregnant at some points in the day!

Im 49, drive a lot, dont get much chance to exercise (busy working behind a desk when not driving).

I dont overeat. Everything we eat is fresh, healthy and not processed. Never bother with breakfast. Have 1 round (2 slices) of home made sarnies a day - usually cheese or tuna. Main meal early evening, odd bag of crisps / nuts. Dont eat chocolate / cakes or sweet stuff.

I enjoy a couple of G&T's most evenings - late on about an hour before bed - with slimline tonics.

Why am I getting fatter and what can anyone recommend to get rid bearing in mind age & lifestyle?

So, Im now ready to tone up the little bit of flab left on me belly. Whats the best way to do this. (no running, not going to the gym either). Was thinking of a kettle bell but dont know how heavy it should be. Or would some dumbbells be better?

So, Im now ready to tone up the little bit of flab left on me belly. Whats the best way to do this. (no running, not going to the gym either). Was thinking of a kettle bell but dont know how heavy it should be. Or would some dumbbells be better?
Is the gym or a home gym setup not an option for you? Ideally, a basic compound strength program would be the way to go, but that's not easy to do without access to a barbell, bench, and weight plates. You could do a kettlebell workout, I suppose. There are plenty on the net; Tim Ferris' routine is quite popular, but having never used kettlebells before I can't speak from personal experience. As for the weight, it might be worth getting a light one, a medium one, and a heavy one so you can progress (if it's within your budget to do so, they seem quite expensive).

I WOULD eat breakfast! Most important meal of the day :)

Avoid bread if you can or at least just eat brown bread if you eat any at all.

Try gluten free products, this could help massively in reducing the gut!

also nuts are extremly high in fat so ditch them if I was you, also ditch the crisps, again they are high in fat

Is the gym or a home gym setup not an option for you? Ideally, a basic compound strength program would be the way to go, but that's not easy to do without access to a barbell, bench, and weight plates. You could do a kettlebell workout, I suppose. There are plenty on the net; Tim Ferris' routine is quite popular, but having never used kettlebells before I can't speak from personal experience. As for the weight, it might be worth getting a light one, a medium one, and a heavy one so you can progress (if it's within your budget to do so, they seem quite expensive).
I dont fancy going to the gym - too much testosterone - but I have got room for a small bench press and weights at home. I went out and bought a 4 kilo kettlebell (they only had flippin pink ones!) today. Been doing a few of the routines from the web. I can see / feel how it will work on my abs but I think I should have got a heavier one. Might just get a home gym bench thing and weights / barbell.

I WOULD eat breakfast! Most important meal of the day :)

Avoid bread if you can or at least just eat brown bread if you eat any at all.

Try gluten free products, this could help massively in reducing the gut!

also nuts are extremly high in fat so ditch them if I was you, also ditch the crisps, again they are high in fat

:lol:

#broscience

Gluten always makes me feel bloated and slugish after I eat pasta etc. I switched to gluten free pasta and the difference was amazing, lost the little pot belly and got a massive energy boost instead of being slugish and never feel bloated

Many gluten free products are very calorie dense, and they're f***ing expensive.

Unless you have a wheat insensitity or full loan celiac's disease there's really no point in a gluten-free diet. There's even less point in a half-in half-out approach.

Your annecdote is not a good reason for someone to consider cutting out gluten.

Many gluten free products are very calorie dense, and they're f***ing expensive.

Unless you have a wheat insensitity or full loan celiac's disease there's really no point in a gluten-free diet. There's even less point in a half-in half-out approach.

Your annecdote is not a good reason for someone to consider cutting out gluten.

I never feel good after eating gluten foods, I'm not going gluten free but makes a hell of a difference to me when I use gluten free pasta, and its not expensive at all, think the spaghetti was the same price as normal

I never feel good after eating gluten foods, I'm not going gluten free but makes a hell of a difference to me when I use gluten free pasta, and its not expensive at all, think the spaghetti was the same price as normal

So you're not totally gluten free? What's the point then? If you had a wheat insensitity even a tiny bit would throw you out of kilter.

So you're not totally gluten free? What's the point then? If you had a wheat insensitity even a tiny bit would throw you out of kilter.

Already told you why. Are you thick?

I don't have any intolerance to anything. When I eat pasta for example I always feel bloated and slugish. I switched and it made a difference.

Don't know what you don't understand, I gave the lad a tip from my personal experience. Theres no right or wrong answer.....

Already told you why. Are you thick?

I don't have any intolerance to anything. When I eat pasta for example I always feel bloated and slugish. I switched and it made a difference.

Don't know what you don't understand, I gave the lad a tip from my personal experience. Theres no right or wrong answer.....

Yes there is. The effect you have observed is not due to cutting out gluten. It may be from eating less calorie dense carbs overall but it has nothing to do with gluten.

Can you explain, using evidence backed arguments, why gluten would cause bloating in someone with no sensitivity to it?

I'd advise you to get checked out by a doctor for any complications but as you still eat a small amount of gluten with no adverse side effects you're probably perfectly healthy.

I have no issue with your diet, don't advocate the use of bullshit backed broscience to others though, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back