Ex smoker 49, fatter. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo! My arms are now bigger!

Just completed my first 30 day Liveexeercise.com 'Chiselled Triple Threat' program with the bodylastics resistance bands, and compared to a pic I took at the start i've got more definition already. Not too much difference on me chest but my biceps and triceps are noticeably bigger. V happy with the gains so far.

I have noticed that my arms seem to be getting a workout regardless which body area Im doing (except legs). I think this may be down to the way resistance band workouts work. I might invest in a bench and some dumbbells eventually.

I start a 60 day 'Chiseled 2 Minute Muscle' prog on Monday. As many reps you can fit in 2 minutes in each set. Oh. I can also hit 20 to 30 press-ups no bother now (well some bother toward the end). I've actually amazed myself!

One question.... How long do the 'newbie gains' go on for? I'm dreading the noticeable difference stopping.

Thought you would get the bug m8. Well done and keep up the good work. I' m no expert but they are on a sliding scale, your first months are the most productive. I see you have found the live exercise workouts, the dumbells will add variety and you can always buy more weight to add when thewy become too light. The bed idea for bench pressing is good until you get up to heavy dumbells.

I'm about a stone and a half of puppy fat heavy but I plan to get myself some form of physique for June this year. Do you suggest just hitting the weights or should I do cardio and some weights mixed in? I'm not expecting nor wanting to look like arnie, but me body looks like a sack of meat atm and would love it looking half decent.

Just not sure if I should lose that weight by trying to turn it to muscle rather then run it off.

Hard to offer any good advice without a bit more info. Do you have any home equipment? Do you plan to join a gym? There are good programmes out there for bodyweight circuits to suit your needs if that appeals. Makum 102 has had good gains with resistance bands but he had lost all his weight with diet only. You have 4 months before your deadline in June.

Woo! My arms are now bigger!

Just completed my first 30 day Liveexeercise.com 'Chiselled Triple Threat' program with the bodylastics resistance bands, and compared to a pic I took at the start i've got more definition already. Not too much difference on me chest but my biceps and triceps are noticeably bigger. V happy with the gains so far.

I have noticed that my arms seem to be getting a workout regardless which body area Im doing (except legs). I think this may be down to the way resistance band workouts work. I might invest in a bench and some dumbbells eventually.

I start a 60 day 'Chiseled 2 Minute Muscle' prog on Monday. As many reps you can fit in 2 minutes in each set. Oh. I can also hit 20 to 30 press-ups no bother now (well some bother toward the end). I've actually amazed myself!

One question.... How long do the 'newbie gains' go on for? I'm dreading the noticeable difference stopping.
http://scoobysworkshop.com/expectations/ Link for expectations m8.

Last edited:

Well done mate but you must be a reet short arse now, your new jeans are about a foot shorter? Don't sit still while holding a fishing rod! ;)
:lol: I thought that to looking it the pic. It's the pic making them look like that. If you look at the bottoms the black ones are hanging below the bottom of the blue ones. Both are 30" length. Honest haha.

Only found my way on to this board recently and so I've just read this all the way through. Cracking thread! Sounds like you're a new man @makum102 !! Well done.

Can I ask, have you always been the type to not do things by halves? Do you have an almost addictive personality by nature?
Ha! You've got me sussed marra. I'd love to say no, but alas I do tend to fully immerse myself in new projects. I run my own business and I think it stems from the dedication thats required to be successful with it. Even buying a new household item like a washing machine or TV takes me weeks with all the research I do first!

Having said that, I fully expected to fail when I asked for help on here. Ive spent most of my life thin and only started to add weight in the last 10 years or so, then flippin ballooned when I quit the ciggs. I had convinced myself it was just 'middle age spread' and was 'normal'.

Just before I started I had gone out and bought a load of XXL T shirts to hide my belly (and those jeans in the pic). I then realised this was not the answer and came on here for advice. Myfitnesspal (recommended to me on here) was a perfect fit for my personality - IT, statistics and the ability to research & control my diet intake to the most finite degree. My wife (no!) joined in too, which made it easier to plan meals etc. She's lost 2.5 stone anarl.

New man with a new wife to boot! Whats not to like ;)

Ha! You've got me sussed marra. I'd love to say no, but alas I do tend to fully immerse myself in new projects. I run my own business and I think it stems from the dedication thats required to be successful with it. Even buying a new household item like a washing machine or TV takes me weeks with all the research I do first!

Having said that, I fully expected to fail when I asked for help on here. Ive spent most of my life thin and only started to add weight in the last 10 years or so, then flippin ballooned when I quit the ciggs. I had convinced myself it was just 'middle age spread' and was 'normal'.

Just before I started I had gone out and bought a load of XXL T shirts to hide my belly (and those jeans in the pic). I then realised this was not the answer and came on here for advice. Myfitnesspal (recommended to me on here) was a perfect fit for my personality - IT, statistics and the ability to research & control my diet intake to the most finite degree. My wife (no!) joined in too, which made it easier to plan meals etc. She's lost 2.5 stone anarl.

New man with a new wife to boot! Whats not to like ;)
Brilliant!! :) Genuinely cheered me up reading through this (assuming you didn't ditch the old wife for a newer model as soon as you became an Adonis that is! ;)). Best of luck to you mate. :)

Brilliant!! :) Genuinely cheered me up reading through this (assuming you didn't ditch the old wife for a newer model as soon as you became an Adonis that is! ;)). Best of luck to you mate. :)
Nah, She wouldn't let me :lol:

How do I best use dumbbels to increase my chest muscle?

Im half way through my second month following the Live-exercise program for Bodylastics resistance bands and I can see gains in most areas - except me chest. I'd lost the moobs during my diet but dont seem to have gained much in the way of muscle on my chest at all.

The bodylastics program does very little on the chest front - mainly Press-ups, which I hate as it reminds me of school punishment - I'm 50 yo remember, they used this in my day as a punishment in school - usually with their foot pressing on your back! Therefore I hate doing them.

So I'm thinking surely I could use my dumbbells instead but dont have a clue what to do with them to increase muscle on my chest.

I've been lying on my back, head on the corner of the bed and pushing the dumbbells up. 7kg on each bar allows me 20 reps before failure. But I'm not sure if this is actually working out my chest or just arms.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Nah, She wouldn't let me :lol:

How do I best use dumbbels to increase my chest muscle?

Im half way through my second month following the Live-exercise program for Bodylastics resistance bands and I can see gains in most areas - except me chest. I'd lost the moobs during my diet but dont seem to have gained much in the way of muscle on my chest at all.

The bodylastics program does very little on the chest front - mainly Press-ups, which I hate as it reminds me of school punishment - I'm 50 yo remember, they used this in my day as a punishment in school - usually with their foot pressing on your back! Therefore I hate doing them.

So I'm thinking surely I could use my dumbbells instead but dont have a clue what to do with them to increase muscle on my chest.

I've been lying on my back, head on the corner of the bed and pushing the dumbbells up. 7kg on each bar allows me 20 reps before failure. But I'm not sure if this is actually working out my chest or just arms.

Any suggestions?

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/14/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/

To gain a bit of muscle you would be better off failing in the 8-12 rep range. Failing at 20 reps generally is for endurance, not hypertrophy.

Ha! Ive now got Pec Minors!

Did my weekly pose in the mirror tonight and thought WTF are those above my small but nicely developing pec's - Two finger shaped popped muscles running horizontal from my right shoulder toward the centre of me chest. Same on the left side anarl.

After googling muscle groups I am proud to announce for the first time in my life I now have Pec Minors poking through!

I think moving from resistance band workouts to proper weights has given me a bit extra.

Muscle building coming along nicely, but I've been having a bit of bother maintaining my weight It keeps going down so the next day I have to shovel a protein bar down my neck to compensate and bring it back up! I think its down to the crappy phone based fitness tracker I've been using. Sometimes it counts too many, other days too few steps / calories etc.

So today I got myself a Fitbit Flex. seems way better than the phone app (called Pacer) at correctly logging my steps and send the converted calories burned to MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal also shares its food register / exercise etc with Fitbit. Two way comms.

9 Stone 9lbs
(3 stone 5lb loss)
:)

Ha! Ive now got Pec Minors!

Did my weekly pose in the mirror tonight and thought WTF are those above my small but nicely developing pec's - Two finger shaped popped muscles running horizontal from my right shoulder toward the centre of me chest. Same on the left side anarl.

After googling muscle groups I am proud to announce for the first time in my life I now have Pec Minors poking through!

I think moving from resistance band workouts to proper weights has given me a bit extra.

Would being able to do actual bench press anywhere be possible? It's invariably better than using dumbells imo, and on the corner of your bed is hardly ideal :lol:

You're never too old or out of shape to start using a gym. If you're open to the idea of using weights there are several people on here who could really point you in the right direction.

Would being able to do actual bench press anywhere be possible? It's invariably better than using dumbells imo, and on the corner of your bed is hardly ideal :lol:

You're never too old or out of shape to start using a gym. If you're open to the idea of using weights there are several people on here who could really point you in the right direction.
I've got a bench press now. Yours right, the corner of the bed quickly became annoying.

I do a mix of bodyweight and dumbells using the bench. I subscribe to Liveexercise on the web which have loads of 30 and 60 day workout programs for dumbbells, bodyweight & resistance bands, which I also have.

When I started there was no way I was going to be seen in the gym. I was ashamed of the size of my belly. Now Im looking a lot lot better I've been considering it. Still unsure as I'll probably be the oldest one in there and not with the cool guys etc. Plus they knocked my local gym down :(

I've got a bench press now. Yours right, the corner of the bed quickly became annoying.

I do a mix of bodyweight and dumbells using the bench. I subscribe to Liveexercise on the web which have loads of 30 and 60 day workout programs for dumbbells, bodyweight & resistance bands, which I also have.

When I started there was no way I was going to be seen in the gym. I was ashamed of the size of my belly. Now Im looking a lot lot better I've been considering it. Still unsure as I'll probably be the oldest one in there and not with the cool guys etc. Plus they knocked my local gym down :(

You should go. If there's one you can feasibly get to. Learning how to do the three (or four, I'd argue) main barbell exercises will make you progress even faster.

There is no better programme than eating right, squatting every session, deadlifting heavy once a week and benching/overhead pressing twice a week just as a really basic programme.

Contrary to 'fad-science', these exercises - performed correctly - will help joint strength as you age.

There's loads of over 50s in my gym mate. Even if there's not so fuck, I've never once seen anyone mocking anyone, they all just get on with their own thing. Loads of big lads and lasses get in so you would be like an older arne to them :)

Ive never bench pressed like and don't fancy it. Don't know why but I go by myself and im terrified I just fuck it up
I stick with the chest press machine and overhead one. Pecs are coming on nice as well but still don't get the burn I hoped in them.

There's loads of over 50s in my gym mate. Even if there's not so fuck, I've never once seen anyone mocking anyone, they all just get on with their own thing. Loads of big lads and lasses get in so you would be like an older arne to them :)

Ive never bench pressed like and don't fancy it. Don't know why but I go by myself and im terrified I just fuck it up
I stick with the chest press machine and overhead one. Pecs are coming on nice as well but still don't get the burn I hoped in them.

Do flat dumb bell press if you're worried about getting pinned. Or just ask for a spot.

Dumb bells are fine but don't offer the same potential for overload as you simply can't lift as much as you can with a bar.

Do flat dumb bell press if you're worried about getting pinned. Or just ask for a spot.

Dumb bells are fine but don't offer the same potential for overload as you simply can't lift as much as you can with a bar.
Sorry was meant to add I do dumbell flys as well. Do you actually get the ache in your chest like you would in your arms, or are the pecs a stubborn muscle to get a real work out on?

Sorry was meant to add I do dumbell flys as well. Do you actually get the ache in your chest like you would in your arms, or are the pecs a stubborn muscle to get a real work out on?

If you're actually engaging them, yes. If you aren't feeling anything it suggests you aren't engaging them sufficiently, either through inadequate form or inadequate load.

If you're actually engaging them, yes. If you aren't feeling anything it suggests you aren't engaging them sufficiently, either through inadequate form or inadequate load.
They are getting bigger but my arms hurt before my pecks do to the point I can't do anymore thanks to my arms. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the apparatus I use but it's basically flys. Anyway I'm pushing 40-50 kg on it which is pretty heavy for me. As I say I can see and feel results but just want that next step as it's the muscles I really want to work on the most. 8/10 exercises I do at the gym involve my pecs but just can't seem to get that satisfying feeling of working them heavily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back