Evolution suggests God does exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

People are apt to hyperbole in big press releases. Once things are down to a simmer it turns our you're really modifying an explanation.

Can't remember what it was ,it was fairly average news to the layman but the news guy said this turns the while theory on its head and the scientist admitted it did .He said we're back to square one on our understanding

So that article is basically doing what religious types have been doing since we crawled out of the swamps: filling in knowledge gaps with gods and ghosts.

Just seems to be a rehash of some very tired arguments which don't stand up to any scrutiny.

Scientists arguing about precise mechanisms != God did it.
So that article is basically doing what religious types have been doing since we crawled out of the swamps: filling in knowledge gaps with gods and ghosts.

Eventually everything in the universe will be explained except why bumble bees are able to fly. At which point God will be reduced to pollinating stamens in Richard Dawkins’ garden

However many month later it certainly does but I thought at the time so much for Theory .

Theories are not perfect and nobody claims they are. They are however the most rigorous frameworks for explaining things.

The fact that they're accepting of modification and change where evidence dictates is a good thing.

What would you say is more reliable?

Theories are not perfect and nobody claims they are. They are however the most rigorous frameworks for explaining things.

The fact that they're accepting of modification and change where evidence dictates is a good thing.

What would you say is more reliable?
Science or god ? Science without a doubt .Watching This strange rock last night and its an hours worth of stuff you couldn't makes up its that crazy and hard to comprehend but it's all what we know of the universe etc .Just as mad as the crazy cloud guy story but with stuff to back it up

Science or god ? Science without a doubt .Watching This strange rock last night and its an hours worth of stuff you couldn't makes up its that crazy and hard to comprehend but it's all what we know of the universe etc .Just as mad as the crazy cloud guy story but with stuff to back it up
One Strange Rock.

Lot of people on here confusing god and religion. Completely different IMO. Religion is man made which is a way of life for many. There are many versions, none of which I believe in.

A God like entity either exists or doesn’t and I lean towards believing in that existence because I simply can’t accept that life, the universe and everything just happened by chance. The more you study science and nature, and see the laws and patterns, the more difficult it becomes.

Lot of people on here confusing god and religion. Completely different IMO. Religion is man made which is a way of life for many. There are many versions, none of which I believe in.

A God like entity either exists or doesn’t and I lean towards believing in that existence because I simply can’t accept that life, the universe and everything just happened by chance. The more you study science and nature, and see the laws and patterns, the more difficult it becomes.

The fact one doesn’t understand something shouldn’t mean one just accepts the lazy magic wand answer.

Whatever happened happened. That doesn’t make it chance, just that the laws of nature were followed as they always are and events took their cause. Why not just accept that we don’t yet understand it all, start with far simpler explanations than “a god did it” (that’s so prehistoric! Tsssk!) and get involved trying to work it out ?

Last edited:
'That the Christian essence, as arose out of Judaism, showed such great staying power amidst the extraordinary political, economic, intellectual and other radical changes of the modern age is another reason I offer for thinking that the existence of a god is very probable.'

- That's an argumentum ad populum fallacy.

'In the Axial Age (commonly dated from 800 to 200 B.C.), world-transforming ideas such as Buddhism, Confucianism, the philosophies of Plato and Aristotle, and the Hebrew Old Testament almost miraculously appeared at about the same time in India, China, ancient Greece and among the Jews in the Middle East, groups having little interaction with one another.'

- That's false. They didn't all happen at the same time, and some of them had considerable contact with each other. It isn't remotely 'miraculous' either, and he's cherry picked examples and left others out that don't fit in that period, which were also significant.

'That all these astonishing things happened within the conscious workings of human minds, functioning outside physical reality, offers further rational evidence, in my view, for the conclusion that human beings may well be made “in the image of [a] God.”

- the conclusion is a complete non-sequitur, and there is absolutely no evidence of minds 'functioning outside of physical reality', that's an assertion that attempts to smuggle in supernatural woo.

The problem is that God is an emotive word and we could spend the rest of our lives debating what constitutes any concept of God.

I think it is logically unsound to consider a God that was separate from reality and the laws of the universe, as such a God would surely be a part of reality anyway and could not be external. Therefore reality must be self contained.

However, this also raises a problem within physics as the Universe is allegedly expanding into nothing, something that is not defined by space or time or the space-time continuum. Therefore in such a model reality (the Universe) is not self contained.

If we go back to the origin of the Universe the common concept is again that reality (the Universe) came from nothing. However, the Universe (reality) emerged with constraints that provided structure. So all we can say is that this "nothing" was unconstrained potential that allowed the Universe (reality) to emerge. Possibly a quantum foam with infinite potentialities.

This tends to indicate that both an external God and absolute nothing are both illogical.

A third possibility (there may be others) is that reality (the Universe) self actualised using telic recursion and so selected a structure that could be utilised. This process of telic recursion has then continued through time and reality (the Universe) has continued to select from infinite potentialities the one that allows for continued generalised utility. The issue would then be that reality (the Universe) is inherently cognitive utilising the process of telic recursion.

'In the Axial Age (commonly dated from 800 to 200 B.C.), world-transforming ideas such as Buddhism, Confucianism, the philosophies of Plato and Aristotle, and the Hebrew Old Testament almost miraculously appeared at about the same time in India, China, ancient Greece and among the Jews in the Middle East, groups having little interaction with one another.'

- That's false. They didn't all happen at the same time, and some of them had considerable contact with each other. It isn't remotely 'miraculous' either, and he's cherry picked examples and left others out that don't fit in that period, which were also significant.....

Totally agree regarding the so called Axial Age.

Last edited:
Because people believe what they're told rather than trust what they believe to be true.
It isn't just that. Perception and what we think is linked with language.

Any other examples?
Many through the ages. We believed many bizarre things until the obvious was pointed out.

We all carried suitcases for 6000 years after the wheel was invented.

Last edited:
The fact one doesn’t understand something shouldn’t mean one just accepts the lazy magic wand answer.

Whatever happened happened. That doesn’t make it chance, just that the laws of nature were followed as they always are and events took their cause. Why not just accept that we don’t yet understand it all, start with far simpler explanations than “a god did it” (that’s so prehistoric! Tsssk!) and get involved trying to work it out ?
I get all that. We don’t and probably can’t understand.

And I don’t see God as a big old bloke with a long white beard.

Just that I find it hard to believe we got to where we are without some sort of external influence.

Same with the theory of infinite numbers of Monkeys with typewriters producing the works of Shakespeare. No they would not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back