Evolution suggests God does exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was reading a Stephen Hawking explanation of it the other day that made complete sense but no way I could remember it well enough to repeat it.

Something to with positive and negative "stuff" where matter is "positive" and there's something else that's negative and balances it out and makes it so that the whole thing is much less mysterious.

Also the bit in bold in your post, yeah it's the Anthropic Principle. We didn't just "get lucky" to be in the universe where everything's "just right". It's the only one we could have been in, because if ours were one where the physical laws were different and the universe collapsed instantly, then we wouldn't be here in it to discuss it.

The "selection" of universe, or "the turn of our universe to be the one created" if you prefer, as you say could well be only one of countless attempts, possibly even infinite attempts. They could have all happened "simultaneously" as a part of the same process that made ours appear. (I put "simultaneously" in quotes because time itself was created along with the Big Bang so whether (if) they happened one by one in linear fashion or all at once is kind of meaningless. They're both the same "before" time (or "outside time" if you prefer).

Some interesting points. As John Wheeler said, Explain time? Not without explaining existence. Explain existence? Not without explaining time. To uncover the deep and hidden connection between time and existence ... is a task for the future."

Digital physics offers some explanation for why the Universe (reality) continues as it does along an arrow of time using computation to "select" the next state. Loop quantum gravity could support such a theory as it assumes space-time is quantized. Perhaps the Universe operates as a quantum computer.

The Anthropic Principle is varied from the relatively simple to the more complex, Weak and Strong. In the Strong Anthropic Principle, the possibility between an element of design and the many worlds to explain the existence of this universe, considers the requirement of an observer to cause wave function collapse. Could this indicate an inherent cognitive quality of the universe (reality)? Cognitive may not be the appropriate word but for want of any other it can be used.

Last edited:
Just think what He could have achieved if He'd actually put some time and effort into it instead of blasting the whole thing out in 6 days.

What a cowboy. I won't be hiring Him again.

One monkey could, if given an infinite time to achieve it. ;)

But even then, it most likely wouldn't manage it before it died, so I wouldn't bet my house on it if someone ever turned up with a newborn monkey and a typewriter and offered you the bet.
What if said monkey had a pathological objection to certain keys, or just liked pressing one key continually. Would prove a problem.

The monkey patter is bollocks.

It kinda misses the point. You can say that anything is possible with an infinite amount of time and an infinite number of attempts.

I love it when @Mercia Blackcat comes out to play:cool:

At the microscopic level there is no space. At the microscopic level there is no time. In this ocean of quantum foam I perceive my own bubble of existence and so does everyone else. But who or what the fuck sustains the playground where we all meet.

Reactions: Boy
It kinda misses the point. You can say that anything is possible with an infinite amount of time and an infinite number of attempts.

At the microscopic level there is no space. At the microscopic level there is no time. In this ocean of quantum foam I perceive my own bubble of existence and so does everyone else. But who or what the fuck sustains the playground where we all meet.

God.

Reactions: Boy

That is a possibility that would need qualifying and there are implications for us as sentient beings but I would still rule out an external theistic God.

In that context God = Universe = Reality = Generalised Cognition = Collective Cognition. God would be a natural quality of the universe that we all shared.

The universe would need to be isomorphic. Our understanding of time is limited as we perceive the apparent sequence: cause - time - effect. Cause and effect would need to exist at the same time so that the laws of the universe emerged simultaneously to their effect which then provided instant feedback resulting in the evolution of the cosmos. Perhaps there is more to evolution than random mutation from out of nowhere.

Consider the Droste Effect to demonstrate recursion.

Logon or register to see this image

There is an image within the image of the woman with the tray and within that image in another identical image ad infinitum

A recursive universe would recreate itself continuously in its previous state but the result would be the conspansion of matter that to an observer would appear as an expanding universe.

A recursive universe would eliminate the paradox of the universe (reality) being self contained yet expanding into "nothing".

Last edited:

Nah.

If something is possible then, given infinite time/attempts, it will occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back