Ever saved anyone's life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Years ago wandering north side over the Wearmouth bridge grabbed a guy who was climbing over the railings. Had a roll about on the deck till an off duty policeman came and subdued him. I went home. Hope he got the help he needed. In work suppose a few but through just my effort.

Not really saving a life but....

Walking over the match a good few years ago there was a bit on a commotion around the back of St Mary's car park. I came around the corner and there was a big lad lying flat on his back, obviously been sparked out. He was unconscious, claret coming out the back of his head, gurgling a bit, possibly in danger of swallowing his tongue. By now there's a crowd of about a dozen or so.

I pipped up, anybody a first aider or medically trained? No reply so I said I'm a first aider. Bent down, gave him a shake then went to put him in the recovery position. Some arsehole pipes up, you shouldn't move him, I said that's for spinal injuries, I know what I'm doing.

This lad who turned out was a fireman said what about his head injury? I wasn't that bothered, it looked like there was a lot of blood but really it was probably less than a cup full, nothing major. I said if you want to take a sock off and stem it feel free and he did. Within a minute of turning him he started to come around. The ambulance came a couple of minutes later and I carried on to the match.

No but apparently it can have a downside. It's claimed that Peter Cook always regretted saving the life of David Frost by dragging him from pool and spent the remainder of his life suggesting that Frost had "stolen his life" after Alan Bennett's labelling him the "Bubonic plagiarist". :)

Not really saving a life but....

Walking over the match a good few years ago there was a bit on a commotion around the back of St Mary's car park. I came around the corner and there was a big lad lying flat on his back, obviously been sparked out. He was unconscious, claret coming out the back of his head, gurgling a bit, possibly in danger of swallowing his tongue. By now there's a crowd of about a dozen or so.

I pipped up, anybody a first aider or medically trained? No reply so I said I'm a first aider. Bent down, gave him a shake then went to put him in the recovery position. Some arsehole pipes up, you shouldn't move him, I said that's for spinal injuries, I know what I'm doing.

This lad who turned out was a fireman said what about his head injury? I wasn't that bothered, it looked like there was a lot of blood but really it was probably less than a cup full, nothing major. I said if you want to take a sock off and stem it feel free and he did. Within a minute of turning him he started to come around. The ambulance came a couple of minutes later and I carried on to the match.
Once again -

I can categorically guarantee you that he wasn’t in any danger of swallowing his tongue.

I saw a woman walk into the Tees next to the Newport Bridge and just float away. Unfortunately she drowned.
Watching next to me were a couple of coppers and on the news that night it said that they had risked their lives to jump in after her - they didn't.
The bastards eh..... Well at least you did all you can.

I've saved them and continue to all the time but I cheated and was a lifeguard then became a nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back