Enlarged prostrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, funny you mention that.

I am pretty claustrophobic and have to have cardiac MRI's once a year, previously was much more regular. I dunno where you're positioned for yours but the cardiac ones you're bang in the middle so can't see out in either direction. They're also 40 - 50 minutes. And to top it off, half way through they pull you out to inject some sort of dye into your arm. Can feel this warm tingly feeling going up your arm which you're back in the machine. Hell on earth for me. Only way I've been able to manage them is (i) sedatives (ii) singing along to the Cash CD they offer and (iii) knowing that it could save my life.

EDIT: I'd add as well I don't open my eyes when I'm in there.

Re. OP I don't know much about enlarged prostates but the little I do know is that as men get older a v. high % get enlarged prostates and in 95% + it's meaningless, almost like hair going grey or whatever. So I wouldn't worry too much, although obviously it's natural to do so.

Can I ask you why the Cardiac MRI yearly? Ive only recently been diagnosed with a Bicuspid valve and ascending thoracic aneurysm had 2 MRI' s and 3 lengthy trans thoracic echo's done ...apparently my valve has been like that from birth but was only picked up 18 months ago. However recent tests have shown something called Hypereosinophilic syndrome is making the chambers smaller and the heart larger. I go again in 3 weeks. I was wondering if you are in the same or similar boat.

Can I ask you why the Cardiac MRI yearly? Ive only recently been diagnosed with a Bicuspid valve and ascending thoracic aneurysm had 2 MRI' s and 3 lengthy trans thoracic echo's done ...apparently my valve has been like that from birth but was only picked up 18 months ago. However recent tests have shown something called Hypereosinophilic syndrome is making the chambers smaller and the heart larger. I go again in 3 weeks. I was wondering if you are in the same or similar boat.
Yup. Had viral myopericarditus about 4 years ago (in my early 20's now) which resulted in heart failure as the heart stopped pumping blood around properly due to it inflaming.

Spent a while in hospital (about a month I think) etc. and was in a pretty bad state but eventually it cleared up. At the time it was happening I was having MRI's a couple times a week, at least, as well as echos etc.

Reason I still have yearly scans is that there's "an area of high contrast" which is showing up on the MRI's which they think is just residual scarring from the previous episode but from what I've been told by my cardiologist at the Freeman, the issue is more or less that something is showing up on the MRI but they haven't really got the understanding yet to identify whether it's serious or not, but they're presuming it's not.

So my guess is we're in quite different boats in the sense that in my case I already had an acute episode and the tests are more to keep tabs on it whereas it sounds (after a brief google) like it's more likely yours is trying to suss out whether something there is serious or not?

Still taking bisoprolol now - was on loads more drugs at the time: ramipril, colchicine, morphine, some NSAID I can't remember the name of, paracetamol, tramadol, the drug which stops NSAID's harming your stomach, laxatives to counter the effects of the opiates... was a bundle of fun :rolleyes:

Just wondering how your Dad got on..?

My results (from the MRI, urine flow, etc tests) came back fine. The problem remained that my PSA was high and, given that my Dad had prostate cancer, the doc wanted to rule everything out rather than just leave it on surveillance. So I was asked if I wanted the biopsy there and then. Of course I said yes, thinking to get it all out of the way now but I'm wondering now whether this was a good choice. A prostate biopsy is invasive (by definition), deeply unpleasant and has exteremly unpleasant side effects. We'll find out the results next week but I'm far from sure what I'll say if the doc wants to continue the investigation. Happy to continue offline if your Dad finds himself in a similar situation.
Prostate wasn't the problem, in the end, it was his bladder, found what is probably a tumour, he has a procedure on Thursday to remove it, a TURBT and it will be sent for biopsy to look at the grade and whether it's invasive or not. A really worrying time.
I think, personally, you should always have done what the doctor recommends, I'm worried sick about me dad but at least it's being dealt with, if he hadn't had the test we wouldn't know and it wouldn't be getting treated.
Hopefully you will be fine and not need any more investigations, fingers crossed for you xx

Yup. Had viral myopericarditus about 4 years ago (in my early 20's now) which resulted in heart failure as the heart stopped pumping blood around properly due to it inflaming.

Spent a while in hospital (about a month I think) etc. and was in a pretty bad state but eventually it cleared up. At the time it was happening I was having MRI's a couple times a week, at least, as well as echos etc.

Reason I still have yearly scans is that there's "an area of high contrast" which is showing up on the MRI's which they think is just residual scarring from the previous episode but from what I've been told by my cardiologist at the Freeman, the issue is more or less that something is showing up on the MRI but they haven't really got the understanding yet to identify whether it's serious or not, but they're presuming it's not.

So my guess is we're in quite different boats in the sense that in my case I already had an acute episode and the tests are more to keep tabs on it whereas it sounds (after a brief google) like it's more likely yours is trying to suss out whether something there is serious or not?

Still taking bisoprolol now - was on loads more drugs at the time: ramipril, colchicine, morphine, some NSAID I can't remember the name of, paracetamol, tramadol, the drug which stops NSAID's harming your stomach, laxatives to counter the effects of the opiates... was a bundle of fun :rolleyes:

Much appreciated and hope it all resolves for you ASAP. I feel im in good hands at the Yorkshire Heart Centre at Leeds RI and being investigated for the Hypereosinophilic syndrome there too. Thankfully all my coronary arteries are free of Atherosclerosis so its a matter of watchful waiting to replace the valve and repair the aneurysm. I don't yet fully understand the implications of the Hypereosinophilia or if it will mean a change of plan ...hopefully i'll have a better Idea after next month.

Much appreciated and hope it all resolves for you ASAP. I feel im in good hands at the Yorkshire Heart Centre at Leeds RI and being investigated for the Hypereosinophilic syndrome there too. Thankfully all my coronary arteries are free of Atherosclerosis so its a matter of watchful waiting to replace the valve and repair the aneurysm. I don't yet fully understand the implications of the Hypereosinophilia or if it will mean a change of plan ...hopefully i'll have a better Idea after next month.

Cheers - and you too. It's been 4 years and I don't really understand the implications of mine. You could spend your life worrying about it but ultimately if you're going to die you'll die. Better to enjoy life as it happens than to spend your time worrying about something inevitable for all of us.

Prostate wasn't the problem, in the end, it was his bladder, found what is probably a tumour, he has a procedure on Thursday to remove it, a TURBT and it will be sent for biopsy to look at the grade and whether it's invasive or not. A really worrying time.
I think, personally, you should always have done what the doctor recommends, I'm worried sick about me dad but at least it's being dealt with, if he hadn't had the test we wouldn't know and it wouldn't be getting treated.
Hopefully you will be fine and not need any more investigations, fingers crossed for you xx
Thanks. I'm cautiously optimistic they'll just put me on long term surveillance (touch wood). Best of luck for your dad - it must be a real worry for you all.

Thanks. I'm cautiously optimistic they'll just put me on long term surveillance (touch wood). Best of luck for your dad - it must be a real worry for you all.
It is a real worry, I'll be much happier when he's had his procedure next week and we then get an understanding of what we are dealing with.
I was also signposted to a great bladder cancer Facebook page by another SMB member. It's been a great help.
I'm sure you will be fine, fingers and toes crossed xx

Bloody hell mate.

Bloody hell mate.

I know. Was mad looking bad. Come back from holiday and within an hour have chest pain. Call 111 and they send an ambulance. Paramedics turn up and are like "don't worry, you're too young for it to be anything serious, will probably be anxiety or indigestion". They do an ECG and both their faces drop and one says "not wanting to panic you but the scan is showing up that you're having a heart attack" (which I wasn't, but it shows up in a similar way on an ECG).

Was absolutely hilarious seeing the two paramedics go from thinking I was a standard time-waster to probably their most serious call of the week in the space of 2 minutes :lol::lol::lol:

I know. Was mad looking bad. Come back from holiday and within an hour have chest pain. Call 111 and they send an ambulance. Paramedics turn up and are like "don't worry, you're too young for it to be anything serious, will probably be anxiety or indigestion". They do an ECG and both their faces drop and one says "not wanting to panic you but the scan is showing up that you're having a heart attack" (which I wasn't, but it shows up in a similar way on an ECG).

Was absolutely hilarious seeing the two paramedics go from thinking I was a standard time-waster to probably their most serious call of the week in the space of 2 minutes :lol::lol::lol:
:eek:
Glad it worked out OK for you, God bless the NHS.

I'm both prostate and Bladder less as a result of cancer, if you have your Bladder removed they also remove prostate and whilst it was known I had Bladder Cancer the prostate cancer was only found after the subsequent biopsies. According to my consultant prostate cancer will always cause an enlarged prostate BUT not all enlarged prostates are caused by cancer in fact it's a side effect of old age and most men over 50 have an enlarged prostate, it's usual side effect is needing to pee regularly during the night. He strongly recommends that all men over 50 should have a SPA blood test and if your father had or has prostate cancer you should have it done at 40. A high SPA is an indicator that cancer COULD be present in the prostate

Prostate cancer is slow growing and very treatable so go for that SPA test lads it's very straight forward

My dad got diagnosed with prostate cancer at 65 and died at 75 after it spread.

I'm Blep's age and got treated for Prostatitis about 3 years ago with antibiotics but I am going back next Mon cos my pissing isn't right. I'm just hoping it's an infection rather than owt worse but I tend to get massive urges to piss that come on quite sudden and then I always feel there's a bit stuck when I'm finished, though I don't tend to get up in the night so I don't know if it's more bladder/urinary tract than prostate.

Nice topic for a sunny Mothers Day morning anyway.

I'm Blep's age and got treated for Prostatitis about 3 years ago with antibiotics but I am going back next Mon cos my pissing isn't right. I'm just hoping it's an infection rather than owt worse but I tend to get massive urges to piss that come on quite sudden and then I always feel there's a bit stuck when I'm finished, though I don't tend to get up in the night so I don't know if it's more bladder/urinary tract than prostate.

Sounds very much like an enlarged prostate your right to get it checked out, if GP doesn't suggest it ask for a PSA test, it's a simple blood test

That's probably what I had plus a bladder infection as there was inflamed areas in wall of bladder when the camera went in.
Just had the psa test and waiting back .
Started drinking less alcohol and more water which makes a difference and also cutting back on 12 cups of tea a day

That's probably what I had plus a bladder infection as there was inflamed areas in wall of bladder when the camera went in.
Just had the psa test and waiting back .
Started drinking less alcohol and more water which makes a difference and also cutting back on 12 cups of tea a day

Did you have a camera up the bell end? I have had the throat & arse in the past but don't fancy completing the hat trick.

I'd be pissing for England on 12 cups of tea a day. Just have a couple in the morning now and try have 3 pints of water at work during the day & maybe a decaff coffee.

Been pissing a lot more on the beer too lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back