Enlarged prostrate

Just been to the docs today after passing blood while on holiday. Had a finger off a not very attractive male doctor (was hoping for an attractive lady doctor but no luck). Need further tests after pee still had blood in it - looked fine to me because it wasnt bright red- and my prostate is enlarged.

Went out as usual for a couple of pints. I may be up in the night a few times.

Even more worried about me dad now, he's complaining of a bad back and has said he's not going to the match. He never says that, over the years there has been times I've not fancied it and he's said he's going so obviously I've gone too.
He's now missed the Spurs game and about to miss the game on Sunday. Apart from when everything happened with me sister and niece, which was different, I've never ever ever known him miss 2/3 because he wasn't feeling well

Prostate problems can often be treatable. There can be side effects in the short, medium and long term but he needs to get to the doctor and get diagnosed further.

Dads had prostrate cancer for 15 yrs mate
It's treatable and manageable if caught early
I'm sure your dad will be fine

In that case I'd not worry (easy for me to say), even in the rare event it wasnt good news it's generally so slow its very unlikely to impact upon his life. Best wishes to father janey.
This. The chances of it being a major issue for him at this stage of his life is very low even if it were a negative diagnosis our cell growth at that age is so slow.

Hope this went okay on Monday
I've had better days but not particularly anything for your dad to worry about.

Started with a consultation and another digital examination. The doctor said my PSA (blood test) results would suggest a 30% chance of cancer for someone my age. Then he went on to explain that further tests would confirm whether it was worth doing a biopsy and the results of that would confirm (or otherwise) cancer and if it was worthy of treatment or simply to be left for monitoring. He sent me off for an MRI scan, a pissing test, bladder scan and to give blood and urine samples. I go back for the results in a couple of weeks.

The worst bit was the MRI scan. Think being buried alive and having death metal noise blasted at you for 10 minutes. I'm not claustrophobic but if I was this would have been distressing to say the least. All the other tests and scans were straightforward. Tell your dad there's nothing to worry about (unless he's claustrophobic, in which case head for the hills!)

Other advice would be to take a good book - my visit took 3 or 4 hours most of it spent sitting around.

Anyway, best of luck to him.

Started with a consultation and another digital examination. The doctor said my PSA (blood test) results would suggest a 30% chance of cancer for someone my age. Then he went on to explain that further tests would confirm whether it was worth doing a biopsy and the results of that would confirm (or otherwise) cancer and if it was worthy of treatment or simply to be left for monitoring. He sent me off for an MRI scan, a pissing test, bladder scan and to give blood and urine samples. I go back for the results in a couple of weeks.

The worst bit was the MRI scan. Think being buried alive and having death metal noise blasted at you for 10 minutes. I'm not claustrophobic but if I was this would have been distressing to say the least. All the other tests and scans were straightforward. Tell your dad there's nothing to worry about (unless he's claustrophobic, in which case head for the hills!)

Other advice would be to take a good book - my visit took 3 or 4 hours most of it spent sitting around.

Thank you and I hope your test results come back fine x

Reading this thread has me thinking of going to the docs. I've had enlarged prostate for about 12 years. It does play on my mind a bit. Just recently had a camera up my arse and that was all clear.

Reading this thread has me thinking of going to the docs. I've had enlarged prostate for about 12 years. It does play on my mind a bit. Just recently had a camera up my arse and that was all clear.

Had the camera up Jacksie recently....mind the drink they give you before does the trick of " emptying you out " :lol::lol:

Not as bad as the biopsy a few years back for prostate...that was quite unpleasant

Good thing now is the publicity etc around means health...less men are ignoring warning signs nowadays

Had the camera up Jacksie recently....mind the drink they give you before does the trick of " emptying you out " :lol::lol:

Not as bad as the biopsy a few years back for prostate...that was quite unpleasant

Good thing now is the publicity etc around means health...less men are ignoring warning signs nowadays

Picolax? I had the "pleasure" last year of that and the old box brownie. Memorable and not in a good way

Thank you and I hope your test results come back fine x
Just wondering how your Dad got on..?

My results (from the MRI, urine flow, etc tests) came back fine. The problem remained that my PSA was high and, given that my Dad had prostate cancer, the doc wanted to rule everything out rather than just leave it on surveillance. So I was asked if I wanted the biopsy there and then. Of course I said yes, thinking to get it all out of the way now but I'm wondering now whether this was a good choice. A prostate biopsy is invasive (by definition), deeply unpleasant and has exteremly unpleasant side effects. We'll find out the results next week but I'm far from sure what I'll say if the doc wants to continue the investigation. Happy to continue offline if your Dad finds himself in a similar situation.

Haha, funny you mention that.

I am pretty claustrophobic and have to have cardiac MRI's once a year, previously was much more regular. I dunno where you're positioned for yours but the cardiac ones you're bang in the middle so can't see out in either direction. They're also 40 - 50 minutes. And to top it off, half way through they pull you out to inject some sort of dye into your arm. Can feel this warm tingly feeling going up your arm which you're back in the machine. Hell on earth for me. Only way I've been able to manage them is (i) sedatives (ii) singing along to the Cash CD they offer and (iii) knowing that it could save my life.

EDIT: I'd add as well I don't open my eyes when I'm in there.

Re. OP I don't know much about enlarged prostates but the little I do know is that as men get older a v. high % get enlarged prostates and in 95% + it's meaningless, almost like hair going grey or whatever. So I wouldn't worry too much, although obviously it's natural to do so.

Back