Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Exactly. The government is playing us like fiddles.

I don’t think they are they’re just thick as pig shit and the energy companies are only doing what they’ve been allowed through the total incompetence of Ofgem a government department.

I’ve been saying the exact same thing for quite sometime, I did read last week that during the last release of figures 30% of the profits were from the cap.

Anyone who wants to put a spin on it, I’m not going to bother replying, keep smiling.

why doesnt anyone think of the shareholders :(
Shell's Dividend Yield is circa 3.5% which is bang average for the FTSE, most of the holdings will be in Pension Funds etc. not top-hatted Richy Rich portfolios.

It easy to get all emotional about headline figures (stirred up by Journalists who make their money from hype), but it's the largest, by Capitalisation, company in the UK. It's the percentages that matter, not a headline figure.

Most people could save a lot of money by changing their (gas guzzling) car buying and driving behaviour.

(I don't own any Shell shares)

I’m going to ring EON today, looking at my account on their app it says in December I used
524kw of electricity
1487kw of gas
They’ve charged me £250 for electricity and £207 for gas. But that doesn’t add up.
524 x 0.34 = 178.16
1487 x 0.103 = 153.61
Even with the standing charges of 14.26 and 8.68. It’s 40-50 more for each.

It’s the same for January, each about £40-50 more than what it says I’ve used. Either the energy used is wrong or the amount charged it wrong.

I've been through my paper bills which took some time since I've been doing regular meter readings. It turns out the amount of energy used according to the EON app is wildly different to what is on the paper bills. The paper bills are what are correct since they have the meter reads on them too.

Shell's Dividend Yield is circa 3.5% which is bang average for the FTSE, most of the holdings will be in Pension Funds etc. not top-hatted Richy Rich portfolios.

It easy to get all emotional about headline figures (stirred up by Journalists who make their money from hype), but it's the largest, by Capitalisation, company in the UK. It's the percentages that matter, not a headline figure.

Most people could save a lot of money by changing their (gas guzzling) car buying and driving behaviour.

This is a sweeping statement. I for one could not afford to change my car, if I did it would have to be funded out of the sale of my current car. This would mean a cheaper and older car, which would come with more repair bills.

dear me

One of the worst takes on the thread, congratulations

I don’t think they are they’re just thick as pig shit and the energy companies are only doing what they’ve been allowed through the total incompetence of Ofgem a government department.

I’ve been saying the exact same thing for quite sometime, I did read last week that during the last release of figures 30% of the profits were from the cap.

Anyone who wants to put a spin on it, I’m not going to bother replying, keep smiling.
I take it you're moving to the octopus tracker?

The cap doesn't apply and you'll pay less the day the daily rate falls.

Not sure how they can make profits from a maximum price cap and how you could quantity said profit if they somehow managed to.

Last edited:

Not sure how they can make profits from a maximum price cap and how you could quantity said profit if they somehow managed to.
Would this be worth it if I'm on Octopus Go at the moment with the cheaper night rate?

If everyone simply paid them a nominal £1 standing order per month then the entire industry would collapse very quickly. Nothing they could do to stop it. Raise a complaint as soon as they send a demand for payment so collections activity is stopped. 56 days pass then refer to the Ombudsman.

The money that you’d pay for energy stick it into a savings account. It’s still there, the companies just don’t get it.

Any drawbacks to moving there from shell??

Back