Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

I’ve gone into octopus’ tracker. Will see how it pans out. Pain in the arse to check unit prices everyday like.

to be honest, I moved mine to octopus after I lost the fixed rate deal a few years ago.

had no problems with them. when my meter went wonky, no issues just came out and replaced in.

I have a smart meter and I get billed every month. Should I send in meter readings say halfway through the month, I get billed for those days (I found this out by accident ).
I like get billed every month, especially during this costing crisis as I know how the finances are and I dont need to worry about switching on the heating.

to be honest, I moved mine to octopus after I lost the fixed rate deal a few years ago.

had no problems with them. when my meter went wonky, no issues just came out and replaced in.

I have a smart meter and I get billed every month. Should I send in meter readings say halfway through the month, I get billed for those days (I found this out by accident ).
I like get billed every month, especially during this costing crisis as I know how the finances are and I dont need to worry about switching on the heating.
I was with them a few years ago and had no problem either, I only switched to these smaller companies because they were cheaper. One went bust then I switched to another and then after a year all the little tiddlers went under. Octopus was the only company that didn’t seem to have a fuck on when you wanted to speak to someone.

Listening to LBC and they have a phone in for people who have been forcefully moved to pre-payment meters, heartbreaking what they have went through.

Have you ever had a tracker mortgage?
No, 2 year fixed usually as the rates have been flat as a witches tit for years and the difference in tracker rates to fixed was usually 0.1% cheaper at best and in recent times was actually the same or even dearer. Took out a 5 year fixed when there was rate rise chatter, my balance was only about 50k until I took the 5yr out and now it’s significantly more.

Would this be worth it if I'm on Octopus Go at the moment with the cheaper night rate?
How much do you pay overnight at mo with them, I'm assuming for car?
Ovo have just sent me a link today to a new ev add on, you don't have to charge overnight you just let it know what time generally you need your car for on a morning.
Plug in anytime and when the grid is quiet your car charges, it hoyed 2 hours on mine from 3pm today and says it will start again at 7.30 pm, 10p a kW and no change to my normal tariff.

How much do you pay overnight at mo with them, I'm assuming for car?
Ovo have just sent me a link today to a new ev add on, you don't have to charge overnight you just let it know what time generally you need your car for on a morning.
Plug in anytime and when the grid is quiet your car charges, it hoyed 2 hours on mine from 3pm today and says it will start again at 7.30 pm, 10p a kW and no change to my normal tariff.
12p KW at the moment. That's sounds good that. I wonder if they would take on new customers?

Wonder if this will apply to them remotely switching over smart meters as well the shithouses.

What’s the option for non payments now, I take it they did it so people can’t just not pay and it was a way of getting paid without cutting off supply.

A lad at work was saying they did it with someone he knew and they were just taking the owed money at the rate of 50p every time they topped up.

It doesn’t seem too bad when you look at it from that perspective, should we all just stop paying?

One of the worst takes on the thread, congratulations
Is it though?
The earnings of big corp do come down to us anyway in the form of pensions, capital growth and dividends ……..
I don’t directly hold any Shell shares, but checked SIPP just now and seen +£7k growth this year, that doesn’t come from no where. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It’s an element that should be considered.
“Boooo companies make lots of profit”, at the same time as “yay, my investments are up”.

The news on this, and the record breaking profits for several energy companies, this morning is absolutely outrageous.

Can’t see how any justification can be found for it.
All this faux outcry does from halfwits like yourself is just enable people to get into more. And more debt. Btw

Yes centrica are scum generally speaking.
Yes legtimately vulnerable people shouldnt have meters force fit.
The rest are fair game - people cant just be allowed to use their energy for nowt whilst the rest of us are making sacrifices and working our nuts off to pay.
What’s the option for non payments now, I take it they did it so people can’t just not pay and it was a way of getting paid without cutting off supply.
Non payments without a prepay meter? You just use as much gas and leccy for nowt and get loads of CCJs which mean very little.

Years ago people would have gone without and made sacrifices but not in live for the moment britain.

Last edited:

A lad at work was saying they did it with someone he knew and they were just taking the owed money at the rate of 50p every time they topped up.

It doesn’t seem too bad when you look at it from that perspective, should we all just stop paying?
Court action.

Back