Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Octopus is the best provider in all areas in such things as fairness and customer service etc in fact so much so it seems too good to be true, which just leaves that little alarm bell at the back of the mind but there again I'm ultra cautious.

Last edited:
just switched onto this. seems a no brainer given you can change at any point unless I'm missing something. just need to keep an eye on prices
"Important: Tracker prices during an energy crisis

Tracker prices are based on the wholesale price of energy, which can change significantly day-to-day.

Market spikes can send Tracker prices up to 100p/kWh for electricity or 30p/KWh for gas – that's three times higher than most customers are paying right now on variable tariffs like Flexible Octopus."

Hopeful the switch away from it is quick if prices go crazy again.

"Important: Tracker prices during an energy crisis

Tracker prices are based on the wholesale price of energy, which can change significantly day-to-day.

Market spikes can send Tracker prices up to 100p/kWh for electricity or 30p/KWh for gas – that's three times higher than most customers are paying right now on variable tariffs like Flexible Octopus."

Hopeful the switch away from it is quick if prices go crazy again.

You’ll give some people anxiety issues with that statement.

I’m going to ring EON today, looking at my account on their app it says in December I used
524kw of electricity
1487kw of gas
They’ve charged me £250 for electricity and £207 for gas. But that doesn’t add up.
524 x 0.34 = 178.16
1487 x 0.103 = 153.61
Even with the standing charges of 14.26 and 8.68. It’s 40-50 more for each.

It’s the same for January, each about £40-50 more than what it says I’ve used. Either the energy used is wrong or the amount charged it wrong.

You’ll give some people anxiety issues with that statement.
Its took from the Octopus link.
I’m going to ring EON today, looking at my account on their app it says in December I used
524kw of electricity
1487kw of gas
They’ve charged me £250 for electricity and £207 for gas. But that doesn’t add up.
524 x 0.34 = 178.16
1487 x 0.103 = 153.61
Even with the standing charges of 14.26 and 8.68. It’s 40-50 more for each.

It’s the same for January, each about £40-50 more than what it says I’ve used. Either the energy used is wrong or the amount charged it wrong.
Something is going on with EONs billing. I submit reads every month and usually get a bill for each the next day. This month i only got billed for the gas and it took a week, no electricity bill, despite submitting both reads

Last edited:

Something is going on with EONs billing. I submit reads every month and usually get a bill for each the next day. This month i only got billed for the gas and it took a week, no electricity bill, despite submitting both reads

I had that happen in mid December. I’m going to open each PDF bill they’ve sent me in the last few months when I sit down at my PC and check the numbers actually match up because it looks like they’ve over charged by about £100 the last 2 months and I haven’t looked any further back. £476 for January seems ludicrous, it’s not been that cold.

I've had the same with my supplier for December and now January. I phoned to see what the problem was and they said there was a dispute over end of November electricity reading, something like 0.8kWh less on my read and smart meter. As my smart meter only gives whole units its not surprising that there remote readings don't match (remote readings are to third decimal place). In any case they re-set everything and now got January bill. As a bonus they raised a complaint and asked if I wanted to pursue it, if I didn't pursue it they'd put £50 in my account. As I didn't make a complaint and was only making a query seemed silly not to take the £50!

I've had the same with my supplier for December and now January. I phoned to see what the problem was and they said there was a dispute over end of November electricity reading, something like 0.8kWh less on my read and smart meter. As my smart meter only gives whole units its not surprising that there remote readings don't match (remote readings are to third decimal place). In any case they re-set everything and now got January bill. As a bonus they raised a complaint and asked if I wanted to pursue it, if I didn't pursue it they'd put £50 in my account. As I didn't make a complaint and was only making a query seemed silly not to take the £50!
My electricity meter hasn't been sending reads to them since i was switched to them when my supplier went bust, although they have been billing me.on my monthly reads no bother. Until now. Funnily enough ive just sent a complaint email to them a couple of days ago after endless fobbing off by their staff to get the meter fixed. No reply as yey shock horror.

I can’t get my head around we live in a world where I can’t put a recruitment advert out with only one person on because it’s either just a man or just a woman…yet companies can actively do what these energy companies are doing without an eyelid being battered.

Mind if they get a seagull covered in oil they’re fucked!

All you eon customers check your bills. My in laws use them and from December their smart meter stopped providing electricity readings. On 1 Jan they took estimated readings from them and bill was wrong. Lucky she takes her own recordings every week. Got the bill updated in 24 hours and it’s now sorted. Smart meter still fucked tho. So she records her readings in a spreadsheet

With shell making 39 billion pound profit how can this crisis be because of the war in Ukraine?
It’s an absolute disgrace how the world is panning out at the moment.

Completely disillusioned with the workd we live in. I never really thought it was as controlled a place as it clearly is.

Simply no one on earth cares! Pure apathy from myself now

Back