Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

On vehicle fuel prices, the wildcard here is the Supermarkets. They do not need the income from petrol/diesel to survive.

They could charge barely cost price (if you spend x amount in store) and undercut all the other suppliers and force the overall price at the pump down overall.
Pity Tesco n Morrisons in Consett don't do this. They are both loads more than Bishop.

The mad thing is supermarkets have been well off the pace of cheap prices since this crisis evolved.

Morrisons have similar. Not recently though.
they have 5p off in january if you spend a certain amount. you've got 1 day to get in.
edit: i think it's finished now, looking it up. was only for a couple of weeks

Last edited:
On vehicle fuel prices, the wildcard here is the Supermarkets. They do not need the income from petrol/diesel to survive.

They could charge barely cost price (if you spend x amount in store) and undercut all the other suppliers and force the overall price at the pump down overall.
This is what Sainsburys Bishop are doing I reckon. Called in there yesterday on the way back from Motorhome trip up Teesdale and paid 153.9p for diesel it's still 169.9p in and around Durham.
The other petrol stations arong Bish are having to reduce the price to compete. This proves that it can be done and all the other garages like in Durham are just taking the piss and keeping the inflated prices for as long as they can get away with it.

This is what Sainsburys Bishop are doing I reckon. Called in there yesterday on the way back from Motorhome trip up Teesdale and paid 153.9p for diesel it's still 169.9p in and around Durham.
The other petrol stations arong Bish are having to reduce the price to compete. This proves that it can be done and all the other garages like in Durham are just taking the piss and keeping the inflated prices for as long as they can get away with it.

It always amazes me how my neck of the woods generally seems to have the cheapest petrol / diesel prices. That one at Escomb is usually about the cheapest, I`m just not over that way much.

they have 5p off in january if you spend a certain amount. you've got 1 day to get in.
edit: i think it's finished now, looking it up. was only for a couple of weeks

Biggest con that going. Spend more at an expensive supermarket and we'll give you £2.50 off your petrol as that's what it works out for most people.

If your price savy might aswell spend less elsewhere and pay the extra on the petrol.

Morrisons is by far the most expensive lately aswell.

I paid 164.9p for diesel this morning at Tesco Consett.

It was 166.9 at Morrisons. Never understood why Morrisons is always dearer than Tesco when both stores are next to each other.

Absolute twats the oil and energy companies. I’m no better than anyone else on this but we continually show these organisations that we will tolerate whatever they do. Easier said than done I know but instead of harnessing people power we just seem to twist on the internet.

I think Sainsbury are responding to the local market, which has always been a good place to get fuel. There was a Jet garage near there that was way cheaper than anywhere else, it was all over facebook a few weeks back. There were queues down the street.
Truth is, the petrol stations will charge as much as they dare. An isolated petrol station with little competition will charge a fortune, a place with 4 supermarkets within a few miles and a handful of independent garages will need to be more competitive.

Just read something there this morning. Am I understanding this right ?

Electric rate is based on the highest cost that it takes to produce. 40% of UK electric is made from gas and the other 60% comes from renewables / nuclear. Gas has rocketed, therefore we are paying massive prices for electric even though the majority of it isnt even made from gas.

"Charging an average price for wholesale electricity would have made the bill in the two years from 2021-22 £7.2bn lower, the Carbon Tracker Initiative said.
According to BBC calculations that's about £250 per household."

So in terms of the government they are making more from taxing that 7.2 billion plus then raking in VAT from the people based on higher bills.

Is my take on it correct ?

Just read something there this morning. Am I understanding this right ?

Electric rate is based on the highest cost that it takes to produce. 40% of UK electric is made from gas and the other 60% comes from renewables / nuclear. Gas has rocketed, therefore we are paying massive prices for electric even though the majority of it isnt even made from gas.

"Charging an average price for wholesale electricity would have made the bill in the two years from 2021-22 £7.2bn lower, the Carbon Tracker Initiative said.
According to BBC calculations that's about £250 per household."

So in terms of the government they are making more from taxing that 7.2 billion plus then raking in VAT from the people based on higher bills.

Is my take on it correct ?
Correct and raking it in with the high ppl of fuel

Absolutely f***ing unbelievable isnt it :lol:
Its very believable. Im no conspiracy theorist usually, but I think this is all part of a plan by the government.
They have a number of mechanisms to lower prices. But they aren't using it. Instead they're going to squeeze everyone for another year, with sporadic support of just enough to be seen to be doing something. They'll rake it in in VAT and short term try and steady the ship.
They know this is unpopular, they know they're unpopular.

They know that they wont win the next election.
Unless of course, if they time it right, they trigger all these mechanisms and dramatically reduce the cost in a roll of the dice.
And the voters suddenly think the Tories are amazing for solving the crisis.... the crisis they have allowed to happen, but that bit will be forgotten. And they get in again
Then they cut bills a little bit, and rake in the money again

Last edited:
My DD is getting reduced this month. They'd over estimated my usage and I've ended up in credit.
I have tried to cut down as much as possible compared to last year. So must be working.

Just put my meter readings in and my usage in January is within a few quid of what they have my DD set at. Looking at last year December and January are my highest usage months but used alot less this year compared to last year. Still £350 in credit so doing OK.
My DD is getting reduced this month. They'd over estimated my usage and I've ended up in credit.
I have tried to cut down as much as possible compared to last year. So must be working.
Aye they will have based everyone's usage on the previous years usage but the vast majority of people will be being more careful. I've used 400ish less units of gas this January compared to last January. Electric use still quite similar like.

Last edited:

Back