Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Apparently some think tank reckon they should pay £300 to every household who are not in the higher tax bracket and £500 to people on benefits.

Apparently some think tank reckon they should pay £300 to every household who are not in the higher tax bracket and £500 to people on benefits.

They won't do it, but the £300 could be controversial as would be like child benefit. 2 people earning £99k could get it, and a family with a single earner at £50k wouldn't get it.

Obviously would be costly to means test it but it would mean giving it to people who don't need it (which is the government's argument against zero rating VAT on energy)

Apologies if you have already mentioned it, but roughly how much do you pay per annum for your heating/electricity?

736 kroner a month in heating and water use. 634 kroner a month for electricity. Those are the figures from the up-dated list from late last year for this year. Once a year they look it all through to see if I have paid too little or too much, usually sometime in the Summer. Last August I was told I had paid 1,996 kroner too much in heating and water use and it was put straight back into my bank account the next day. Electricity works slightly different, if I pay too much in a year they just reduce the next bill.

In Sterling that would be about £845 a year for electricity and about £980 for heating and water use a year. For this year.

736 kroner a month in heating and water use. 634 kroner a month for electricity. Those are the figures from the up-dated list from late last year for this year. Once a year they look it all through to see if I have paid too little or too much, usually sometime in the Summer. Last August I was told I had paid 1,996 kroner too much in heating and water use and it was put straight back into my bank account the next day. Electricity works slightly different, if I pay too much in a year they just reduce the next bill.

In Sterling that would be about £845 a year for electricity and about £980 for heating and water use a year. For this year.
I've no idea of the size of your home but I'm guessing those costs were a bit higher than like for like in the uk, until Autumn 2021 that. Bit of an over simplification of course as not factoring in cost of living differences between the two countries and average earnings etc.

Our household annual price increase for gas and electricity is 50% currently and about to go up even further come April. Same for most over here unless they are still in a price fix period.

I've no idea of the size of your home but I'm guessing those costs were a bit higher than like for like in the uk, until Autumn 2021 that. Bit of an over simplification of course as not factoring in cost of living differences between the two countries and average earnings etc.

Our household annual price increase for gas and electricity is 50% currently and about to go up even further come April. Same for most over here unless they are still in a price fix period.

Fifty per cent is baffling. I think my costs are cheep but I wouldn't like a hike like that at all.

I live in a small roof flat and on my tod.

The fix I was offered from them was much lower than any other fix I'd seen, and was pretty much in line with current cap (fix was offered around Oct/Nov).

It would've saved me money (from April to October), but I wasn't convinced I'd be in my current place for a year so didn't fancy the hassle.
It's not October/November though. They won't save anyone any money now, unless you get your milk through them too.
Absolutely. I'm anxious for my lass who doesn't get paid much and doesn't get many hours. I'll try and help obviously but I've got my own place and associated bills which will similarly be going up. Her bill will be mental though as she's constantly drying washing, or heating the house for the bairns. The government will have to offer something like, as you say there'll be loads of people who live almost hand to mouth and who simply can't take a £100+ monthly increase in their bills. That's before you consider those who can afford it but for whom it will massively reduce their standard of living. I'll be pretty much keeping my heating off like, was lucky enough to get a pay rise this year but only £1000, so in effect that'll be a pay cut given that the heating increase alone will wipe that out
Have you thought about getting her to move in with you for a while? Might save a few quid over winter.

Last edited:
It's not October/November though. They won't save anyone any money now, unless you get your milk through them too.

Have you thought about getting her to move in with you for a while? Might save a few quid over winter.
Nah wouldnt be great for getting the bairn to school and stuff. Plus she hates my house. And the older lad wouldnt want to move so the heating and that would still be on. Just going to have to try and get her to use less, and hope there's some support for people

Nah wouldnt be great for getting the bairn to school and stuff. Plus she hates my house. And the older lad wouldnt want to move so the heating and that would still be on. Just going to have to try and get her to use less, and hope there's some support for people
Would you consider moving in there and then you could give your lass the money you usually spend on heating towards hers?

Would you consider moving in there and then you could give your lass the money you usually spend on heating towards hers?
Not really tbh, don't think us living together would ever work, not when her house is a two bedroom and she's got the bairn in her room, just not enough space. Plus I barely put my heating on, currently pay about £50 a month combined gas and electric. It'll jump a bit of course but given how much of that will be standing charges etc it probably wouldn't be much of a windfall for her! Just think it's awful that people need to even think about stuff like that tbh, if we struggle there'll be lots who simply can't afford it at all

Kwarzi Kackabrain didn't seem to rule that out this morning. Though have to wait for a march announcement so they can laugh at people who are cold a bit longer

Not really tbh, don't think us living together would ever work, not when her house is a two bedroom and she's got the bairn in her room, just not enough space. Plus I barely put my heating on, currently pay about £50 a month combined gas and electric. It'll jump a bit of course but given how much of that will be standing charges etc it probably wouldn't be much of a windfall for her! Just think it's awful that people need to even think about stuff like that tbh, if we struggle there'll be lots who simply can't afford it at all

Hair

I agree mate, heating your house shouldn't be something you have to worry about in 2022.

That seems a more arsey comment than usual?

I agree with your earlier post that it's likely to be best waiting until the winter is over.

But having never been a customer before, I was surprised what they could offer me. So I do think they're worth considering in the next couple of months.

One thing is for sure, lots of people are going to have a big shock 6 to 12 months from now.

I agree with your earlier post that it's likely to be best waiting until the winter is over.

But having never been a customer before, I was surprised what they could offer me. So I do think they're worth considering in the next couple of months.

One thing is for sure, lots of people are going to have a big shock 6 to 12 months from now.
It was a bit of a dig at UW's business model of trying to be their customers' supplier for everything.
That's for sure. I can't wait to spend £3k a year on heat/power.

Last edited:

Yes, I do wonder how many folks are currently oblivious to this issue

They won't do it, but the £300 could be controversial as would be like child benefit. 2 people earning £99k could get it, and a family with a single earner at £50k wouldn't get it.

Obviously would be costly to means test it but it would mean giving it to people who don't need it (which is the government's argument against zero rating VAT on energy)

You would also get cases of people spending their cash windfall on other things and still not being able to pay their energy bills.

Scrapping VAT only saves 5% which isn't a lot if your bills are about to double.

Possibly the best idea I've heard so far is spreading the cost of this increase over several years. Of course that only works if this is a short term spike and prices come down soon.

Save upto 8% on gas bill by turning Flow temperatures down on your combis. Per octopus energy advice - "radiators 50°, water 55°" . Boilers often set way to high to be efficient, will take longer to heat water and rads but burns 8% less fuel.
We also set our DD to Ovo at £250 pcm which gives us the maximum cash back of £5 pcm from Santander. We keep a minimum £1,000 in credit at Ovo on which they pay 5% interest. Combined saves us £110 per annum, not massive savings but it all helps.

Last edited:
f***ing Bristol Energy went bust last Tuesday. I only found out last night when we got an e-mail from British Gas saying "Hello! Ofgem have appointed us your new supplier".
Brilliant.
I think we were with Bristol Energy for about 2 weeks. BG were our former suppliers. Only just paid them a £300+ bill before leaving. f***ing ridiculous.

Back