Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

this is got me stressed to be honest, i am lucky I had some credit saved up before my supplier went bust, thats went the first month ( by the time everything was sorted with shell )

Already started with not putting the heating on as much and as expected already starting to see the signs of doing that, small little black dots in a few corners of mould.

But the electric is killing me, its doubled, if its to nearly double again next price cap, I am not sure what will give, just cant find any further savings in electric use, unless I get the wife to take the chargeable to her work ( bike battery and phone ).

we dont have a TV, so all we have switched on 24/7 is router, 1 Alexa we use as a radio / alarm clock and fridge, even downgraded from the big fridge freezer to a small under counter one since the kids left home, I just cant work out how to cut my cloth further.

And I feel lucky to be honest, would hate this if we had a young family, must be a nightmare and my heart goes out to you all struggling with young kids, just pressure on peoples finances everywhere atm.

Last edited:
Just checked my account to see Bristol Energy have taken £132 from us despite us being their customer for a staggering.... 21 days.
I tried e-mailing the e-mail on the website - [email protected] and it says "It's ceased trading".
I'm phoning citizens advice.

How the hell can a company take £132 from me if they've "ceased trading"?!

Just checked my account to see Bristol Energy have taken £132 from us despite us being their customer for a staggering.... 21 days.
I tried e-mailing the e-mail on the website - [email protected] and it says "It's ceased trading".

I’d studiously avoid going with any of the smaller companies at the moment, given what’s happened in the past 6 months or so.

How did you become their customer for 21 days? Was this pre going bust?

How did you become their customer for 21 days? Was this pre going bust?

Yep. I did a price comparison whatnot and Bristol Energy was the only one who outdid British Gas by a few quid so I thought, penny saved and all that. I'll give it a go.
We were officially a Bristol Energy customer on the 2nd January. They went bust on the 23rd.

It was British Gas who told me too! "Hello! We're your new supplier as your current one has gone tits up".
Shelled out £300+ to BG to pay our last bill with them, and now these bellends have turned up their toes too.

We are in the very lucky position that it won’t impact us too much mate, but I know lads that are really struggling and this will kill them.

Same here, in a very fortunate position in that it won't have a big impact on us.
Can't help but think there will be some ( incl family/friends even who are going to find it a real struggle)

Something, and to be honest I don't know what, needs to be done :(

The government need to act now. That £20 they removed From UC would have covered this massive increase in the main. The whole thing is really bad, it truly is.
Yep. Absolutely scandalous that they did that despite knowing this was on the horizon. Utter scumbags.
Same here, in a very fortunate position in that it won't have a big impact on us.
Can't help but think there will be some ( incl family/friends even who are going to find it a real struggle)

Could start by reinstating the £20 per week they took off UC and scrapping the VAT like they said they would do if people voted for Brexit.

Last edited:

Genuinely considered putting a wood burning stove in, but I'm not sure our fireplace surround would survive it.
Not exactly environmentally friendly though is it.

I'm going to shell out for solar panels when I get a bit cash in the bank, but I'm only doing that to try and offset bills.
How ridiculous is that?

I'm on basic UC with 1 child, once my rent and other bills come out I'm not left with much. I certainly won't be able to afford hundreds of pounds per month 🥺😭
This is a the really sad part of the kind of increases we're going to see. Families already stretched are going to be badly hit to breaking point. For some it will be a case of eat or heat. Low income families, single mothers and the millions of pensioners in pension poverty are going to feel it the most. Local economies will be hit as folk cut back their spending to pay energy bills. Meanwhile some very rich people will get richer off the backs of others misery.
Meanwhile the government does nowt.

this is got me stressed to be honest, i am lucky I had some credit saved up before my supplier went bust, thats went the first month ( by the time everything was sorted with shell )

Already started with not putting the heating on as much and as expected already starting to see the signs of doing that, small little black dots in a few corners of mould.

But the electric is killing me, its doubled, if its to nearly double again next price cap, I am not sure what will give, just cant find any further savings in electric use, unless I get the wife to take the chargeable to her work ( bike battery and phone ).

we dont have a TV, so all we have switched on 24/7 is router, 1 Alexa we use as a radio / alarm clock and fridge, even downgraded from the big fridge freezer to a small under counter one since the kids left home, I just cant work out how to cut my cloth further.

And I feel lucky to be honest, would hate this if we had a young family, must be a nightmare and my heart goes out to you all struggling with young kids, just pressure on peoples finances everywhere atm.

Electric shower?

Back