Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

You would also get cases of people spending their cash windfall on other things and still not being able to pay their energy bills.

Scrapping VAT only saves 5% which isn't a lot if your bills are about to double.

Possibly the best idea I've heard so far is spreading the cost of this increase over several years. Of course that only works if this is a short term spike and prices come down soon.
Got an e mail from Octopus outlining issues/problems etc and this is what they seemed to suggest would be the better option.

Got an e mail from Octopus outlining issues/problems etc and this is what they seemed to suggest would be the better option.
I read that too, a very candid email for an energy company to send. Stating that Octopus itself doesn't even know if it will be successful going forward.

This hasn't played out quite how expected it to, but the country has been on the precipice for a while. I find it staggering that the UK has been a net importer of electricity since 2010, particularly given what came after.

Save upto 8% on gas bill by turning Flow temperatures down on your combis. Per octopus energy advice - "radiators 50°, water 55°" . Boilers often set way to high to be efficient, will take longer to heat water and rads but burns 8% less fuel.
We also set our DD to Ovo at £250 pcm which gives us the maximum cash back of £5 pcm from Santander. We keep a minimum £1,000 in credit at Ovo on which they pay 5% interest. Combined saves us £110 per annum, not massive savings but it all helps.

Good advice that, every little helps.
Will check mine tonight when I get home👍
We’ve stopped using the tumble dryer and our electricity use has dropped a bit as well.

Bill arrived today. Presently £223 in credit and they want to increase our monthly direct debit by £180 a month. In contract with them till August as well

A lot will and some will really struggle. Some on low incomes are going to really be in a mess if rises are anything like predicted.

just got a quote from eon who I'm in a deal with until July.

Electric
17.59p per kw before, 32.99p per kw after
23.6p standing charge before, 48.2p standing charge after

gas
3.07p per kw before, 8.92p per kw after
23.77 standing charge before, 21.01p standing charge after

That is quite literally double what I pay now and they are wanting to lock people into a 2 year deal on it. Do we expect prices to start to come back down at all or will we be stuck with this for the foreseeable?

Is it next week when the new price cap level is announced? The new cap is going to be disastrous for many apart from the small saving grace that it should get gradually warmer from April. Let’s hope the situation stabilises a little before next Winter.

Back