Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

It's like the UK couldn't be totally self sufficient for the next 100 years if they invested in its own oil and gas industry rather than put themselves at the feet of shysters who can pretty much charge what they want.
there's a new power station opened up at seal sands. it's a magnificent piece of engineering, two v20 m.a.n engines supplying the national grid. i delivered some anti freeze to it and was lucky enough to have a look round. the thing is that it's gas powered.

I still haven't had a smart meter from sse and I've been on an ev tariff and now it's ended.
They couldn't install one during covid so just credited my bill every month to cover the equivalent free mileage.
Will be better off that way!
It sounds decidedly dubious to me.
It’s legit, emailed them and they have replied.

Last edited:
You have to have them read every two years by law. This is in theory to make sure your meter is operating correctly.
Not anymore. Changed it a little while ago. Older meters need more frequent inspections newer ones need less frequently up to 5 years between checks now I think.

My gas was with Zog who went under. EDF took over and put me on their standard variable rate.
So it has gone up from 2.4p/unit and 18p per day to 4.3p per unit and 31p per day (rises of 80% and 72%)
Obviously it will go up more in April when the cap is removed.
They are offering me a fixed rate at 9.8p/unit and 26p per day which would be an increase in the gas price of over 300% from 2 months ago.

My electric is currently fixed at 14p per unit, but due for renewal at 31p per unit, so a 120% increase.

It could be legit.

There is a legal obligation to tell you when your tariff is coming to an end 45 days before it does. I believe Octopus screwed up and didn't send the emails/letters out so they are in breach of the rules. Its probably cheaper for them to give the affected customers another year at the same deal than to fight it.
The cap isn’t being removed in April. Its just being recalculated so will go up an expected 50%. And still be cheaper than fixing it now.

Intelligent octopus, it’s a high day rate but 6 hours cheap overnight. Needs a compatible charger or vehicle and smart metering (all EV tariffs need smart metering tho).
I’ve got a smart meter but I think it will just be plugged in the mains. I tried changing to octopus but they said sorry we aren’t taking new customers at the minute.

Not anymore. Changed it a little while ago. Older meters need more frequent inspections newer ones need less frequently up to 5 years between checks now I think.
Aye it’s pretty much done with smart meters being installed and with covid it’s just another excuse not to be on top of reading meters

Forgive my ignorance but having read the fred it seems like it is the norm to turn the heating off each day and then turn it on again later in the day. Does it not cost more to heat up a cold house each day than it would leaving the heating slightly on all day ?

Forgive my ignorance but having read the fred it seems like it is the norm to turn the heating off each day and then turn it on again later in the day. Does it not cost more to heat up a cold house each day than it would leaving the heating slightly on all day ?
sure that's a myth. or at least i hope it is :lol:

I'm trying to use the heating in quick bursts when i need to. my house holds the heat well so working from home i can put it on for an hour or two in the morning then don't really feel the cold again until late in the evening and if needed will put it on for another hour or so. that surely doesn't use as much gas as leaving it on low all day

sure that's a myth. or at least i hope it is :lol:

I'm trying to use the heating in quick bursts when i need to. my house holds the heat well so working from home i can put it on for an hour or two in the morning then don't really feel the cold again until late in the evening and if needed will put it on for another hour or so. that surely doesn't use as much gas as leaving it on low all day

I get that but if you had the heating on just slightly all the time then you wouldn't need to heat up a cold house each day ? I don't know the ins and outs of how UK heating things work but I don't know of anyone here in DK that turns the heating off each day and then turn it on again later in the day. It's all new to me this and it intrigues me.

I’ve got a smart meter but I think it will just be plugged in the mains. I tried changing to octopus but they said sorry we aren’t taking new customers at the minute.
Aye I looked at them with my other one ending, the unit rates and standing charges look slightly cheaper than mine.
It let me put all of my details and usage in then said sorry we won't be competitive you should stick where you are 🤷‍♂️

No, have you not got a thermostat??? Crazy to leave the boiler on all day burning gas unnecessarily.

Last edited:
I get that but if you had the heating on just slightly all the time then you wouldn't need to heat up a cold house each day ? I don't know the ins and outs of how UK heating things work but I don't know of anyone here in DK that turns the heating off each day and then turn it on again later in the day. It's all new to me this and it intrigues me.

My guess would be that Danish houses have far superior levels of insulation and low-level background heat is enough to maintain a decent temperature.

Thanks to successive governments and shite builders UK houses leak heat like sieves.

Leaving heating on all day is inefficient.

Leaving heating on all day is inefficient.

Thank you. So you save more on heating up the house from cold twice a day but leaving a slight warmth on all the time is good for the walls. I didn't know either. Most homes here in DK use district heating and we just leave it on all day. Some may turn their radiators up and down but we don't turn them off completely. I mean, am sure there will be some people who do but I can't say I know of any.

This is what we use here:

Thank you. So you save more on heating up the house from cold twice a day but leaving a slight warmth on all the time is good for the walls. I didn't know either. Most homes here in DK use district heating and we just leave it on all day. Some may turn their radiators up and down but we don't turn them off completely. I mean, am sure there will be some people who do but I can't say I know of any.

This is what we use here:

Pure communism!

Incredible what can be done when you put people before profits.

I think it's a great set up TBF :D

It seems to work OK. I got my annual update in December, my electricity goes up by about twenty kroner a month this year (about £2.20) but my water and heating go down by twenty-five kroner (about £2.75) a month. So pretty much the same now as a year ago. And that is thanks to the district heating am sure. And wind farms. There will be folks out in the rural areas of the country where the district heating hasn't yet reached, who heat up their homes with oil. They will be hit hard.

Back