Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

Thank you. So you save more on heating up the house from cold twice a day but leaving a slight warmth on all the time is good for the walls. I didn't know either. Most homes here in DK use district heating and we just leave it on all day. Some may turn their radiators up and down but we don't turn them off completely. I mean, am sure there will be some people who do but I can't say I know of any.

This is what we use here:

I lived in Sweden for about 7 years so I'm familiar with the massively better infrastructure you Scandi's enjoy. :)

Thank you. So you save more on heating up the house from cold twice a day but leaving a slight warmth on all the time is good for the walls. I didn't know either. Most homes here in DK use district heating and we just leave it on all day. Some may turn their radiators up and down but we don't turn them off completely. I mean, am sure there will be some people who do but I can't say I know of any.

This is what we use here:

But then we have the introduction of air and ground source heat pumps heat (warm air is used to heat the heating rather than a gas boiler) and these maintain a constant temp all day and never turn off.

Our district heating companies are all non-profit. And owned by its members, too I think. A little bit of communism goes a long way. :lol:
having read the wonderful 'living danishly' by helen russell, you guys are so far ahead of the uk... apparently cold drafts under doors don't exist your side of the north sea either and that every house is akin to a sauna this time of year?

having read the wonderful 'living danishly' by helen russell, you guys are so far ahead of the uk... apparently cold drafts under doors don't exist your side of the north sea either and that every house is akin to a sauna this time of year?

Not sure about sauna but we do like it warm and cosy. My roof flat has twenty-two degrees all year round, I never change the radiators these days, they just stay the way they are. Then in the parts of the year where there is twenty-two degrees anyway they just pause themselves. I used to have it at twenty-three degrees but the older I get the less warmth I seem to need. Lots of candles help as well, of course. And woolly socks. :)

I think it was a slight culture shock for Helen Russell when she came over. Have you watched this ?

Not sure about sauna but we do like it warm and cosy. My roof flat has twenty-two degrees all year round, I never change the radiators these days, they just stay the way they are. Then in the parts of the year where there is twenty-two degrees anyway they just pause themselves. I used to have it at twenty-three degrees but the older I get the less warmth I seem to need. Lots of candles help as well, of course. And woolly socks. :)

I think it was a slight culture shock for Helen Russell when she came over. Have you watched this ?

That’s quite a good watch from the first 20 minutes I’ve seen so far. I’ll bookmark it to watch in full later.

My guess would be that Danish houses have far superior levels of insulation and low-level background heat is enough to maintain a decent temperature.

Thanks to successive governments and shite builders UK houses leak heat like sieves.

Norway houses have better insulation and they use electricity more for heating which is more from renewable sources now. Had a Norwegian lass staying with us over New Year and she was surprised that we didn't have underfloor heating as that's normal over there and she didn't know about boilers and gas supplies.

Norway houses have better insulation and they use electricity more for heating which is more from renewable sources now. Had a Norwegian lass staying with us over New Year and she was surprised that we didn't have underfloor heating as that's normal over there and she didn't know about boilers and gas supplies.
A Norwegian who didn’t know about gas supply, really?

One of the biggest exporters of the stuff in the world.

Last edited:
Probably cos they generate most of their electric from hydro?
Aye, just find it strange she’s doesn’t really know what happens with all the gas they export. Probably their biggest economy (O&G). I suppose we don’t all know everything.

Anyhow, my Swedish ex lass knew what gas and a boiler was just to level it up. But she had lived over here a few years.

Aye, just find it strange she’s doesn’t really know what happens with all the gas they export. Probably their biggest economy (O&G). I suppose we don’t all know everything.

Anyhow, my Swedish ex lass knew what gas and a boiler was just to level it up. But she had lived over here a few years.
One of our biggest exports is military hardware. I know it goes boom and is used to kill people but not an awful lot beyond that really.

A Norwegian who didn’t know about gas supply, really?

One of the biggest exporters of the stuff in the world.

Yes, she had no idea houses use gas for heating.

It started when my son was over there and they were talking about the cost of living. He asked about gas and electric bills and she didn't know what he meant by gas bill. Then when she came over here, she wanted to see our boiler 😁

Yes, she had no idea houses use gas for heating.

It started when my son was over there and they were talking about the cost of living. He asked about gas and electric bills and she didn't know what he meant by gas bill. Then when she came over here, she wanted to see our boiler 😁
Has your son pulled himself a Norwegian lass?

It seems to work OK. I got my annual update in December, my electricity goes up by about twenty kroner a month this year (about £2.20) but my water and heating go down by twenty-five kroner (about £2.75) a month. So pretty much the same now as a year ago. And that is thanks to the district heating am sure. And wind farms. There will be folks out in the rural areas of the country where the district heating hasn't yet reached, who heat up their homes with oil. They will be hit hard.
Apologies if you have already mentioned it, but roughly how much do you pay per annum for your heating/electricity?

Back