Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

i'm not convinced its legit, when i log in on my desktop and go to emails, the one telling me my tariff is ending and the new go tariffs are 29p per kwh is there, but the above one isnt.
Somebody called Alex Schoch leads the flexibility team at Octopus (developing and bringing next gen products to market) per Web search joined as Co Head of renewables in 2015, if the send email looks legit I would try to contact him or his team for clarification. At the very least you might be letting them know about fraudulent/scam emails.

Last edited:
Got my email today about my deal ending in March. Currently paying £120 a month and have about £200 in credit.

They kindly offered me a new fix at £310 a month :eek:. Obviously will do nothing and move to cap but it’s not like that is a bargain and only going one way.

My parents in their 80s got a bit of a shock. They were paying £110 per month with Octopus and their new contract is £276 per month. Apparently this is reduced from £342 due to being a loyal customer :eek: I'm with them also and currently pay £105 per month with my contract due to run out in April.
Have they gone fixed?

I got email from octopus with three prices, one variable, and two fixed one for loyal customer. The two fixes were stupid price.

*edit* should have read the next page :)

Last edited:
My gas was with Zog who went under. EDF took over and put me on their standard variable rate.
So it has gone up from 2.4p/unit and 18p per day to 4.3p per unit and 31p per day (rises of 80% and 72%)
Obviously it will go up more in April when the cap is removed.
They are offering me a fixed rate at 9.8p/unit and 26p per day which would be an increase in the gas price of over 300% from 2 months ago.

My electric is currently fixed at 14p per unit, but due for renewal at 31p per unit, so a 120% increase.
i'm not convinced its legit, when i log in on my desktop and go to emails, the one telling me my tariff is ending and the new go tariffs are 29p per kwh is there, but the above one isnt.

It could be legit.

There is a legal obligation to tell you when your tariff is coming to an end 45 days before it does. I believe Octopus screwed up and didn't send the emails/letters out so they are in breach of the rules. Its probably cheaper for them to give the affected customers another year at the same deal than to fight it.

Last edited:
I’m still looking for an EV rate.
British Gas has offered me one fixed until 2024, but you just know the DD will be about a squillion quid.

Utility Warehouse are worth a look. Means chatting with one of their sales reps but may work out cheaper.
They're not really worth a look. Everywhere is the same price if you're not already on a fix. Their salesmen will just use smoke and mirrors to make it look like you're saving money.
British Gas has offered me one fixed until 2024, but you just know the DD will be about a squillion quid.
Just stay where you are, little point in doing anything else at the moment.

Last edited:
They're not really worth a look. Everywhere is the same price if you're not already on a fix. Their salesmen will just use smoke and mirrors to make it look like you're saving money.

Just stay where you are, little point in doing anything else at the moment.

The fix I was offered from them was much lower than any other fix I'd seen, and was pretty much in line with current cap (fix was offered around Oct/Nov).

It would've saved me money (from April to October), but I wasn't convinced I'd be in my current place for a year so didn't fancy the hassle.

This.
They'll tell you they can save you money, but only if you also buy your phone, mobile phone, broadband, pet insurance, TV license and petrol from them. For you, all your family and everyone you know. With stickers on your car advertising your refer a friend code.

Then you could be almost 50p a month better off. And tied to them forever. And despised by everyone. Which might save you more now you're not getting invited out...

My elderly folks have just had their letter through saying their fixed rate for G and E ends at the back end of February, going from £600 a year to around £1800 (gas has gone up to £1,300 a year from around £375). They are minded to fix this new rate and avoid the lower variable one but I'll be honest I don't know enough about it and what they should do. Any advice would be most welcome as I don't want to see them get bounced into it and ultimately fleeced.

Intelligent octopus, it’s a high day rate but 6 hours cheap overnight. Needs a compatible charger or vehicle and smart metering (all EV tariffs need smart metering tho).

My elderly folks have just had their letter through saying their fixed rate for G and E ends at the back end of February, going from £600 a year to around £1800 (gas has gone up to £1,300 a year from around £375). They are minded to fix this new rate and avoid the lower variable one but I'll be honest I don't know enough about it and what they should do. Any advice would be most welcome as I don't want to see them get bounced into it and ultimately fleeced.
I would say that fixing now is a bad idea.

They'll be charged a much higher rate for this winter which can be avoided by not fixing. If they're intent on fixing then at least wait until winter is over and benefit from the lower price cap.

What about key/card meters the non smart ones ? I'm assuming a letter or email will arrive informing the daily charge and unit price are increasing when the price cap increases in april.

What about key/card meters the non smart ones ? I'm assuming a letter or email will arrive informing the daily charge and unit price are increasing when the price cap increases in april.
Yeah I'm dreading that, there really needs to be a social rate or something that will focus on prepayment meter users.

Looking at some of the figures being posted on here, its glaringly obvious that there will a very high number of people who will simply be unable to pay their energy bills.
Absolutely. I'm anxious for my lass who doesn't get paid much and doesn't get many hours. I'll try and help obviously but I've got my own place and associated bills which will similarly be going up. Her bill will be mental though as she's constantly drying washing, or heating the house for the bairns. The government will have to offer something like, as you say there'll be loads of people who live almost hand to mouth and who simply can't take a £100+ monthly increase in their bills. That's before you consider those who can afford it but for whom it will massively reduce their standard of living. I'll be pretty much keeping my heating off like, was lucky enough to get a pay rise this year but only £1000, so in effect that'll be a pay cut given that the heating increase alone will wipe that out

Intelligent octopus, it’s a high day rate but 6 hours cheap overnight. Needs a compatible charger or vehicle and smart metering (all EV tariffs need smart metering tho).
I still haven't had a smart meter from sse and I've been on an ev tariff and now it's ended.
They couldn't install one during covid so just credited my bill every month to cover the equivalent free mileage.

Back