Ellis Short's Legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newcastle has always been a bigger draw for music, visitors, nightlife. It has much better transport & facilities, a modern riverside, airport, etc.

Sorry but Sunderland is akin to Boro.

Newcastle has always been a bigger draw for music, visitors, nightlife. It has much better transport & facilities, a modern riverside, airport, etc.

Sorry but Sunderland is akin to Boro.
Ive worked amongst it for decades and although it started a decent size it's grown to meet the demand. At times in midweek the supply is too big for the demand, hence clubs closed and/or cheaper prices but that goes with many cities.
As i said, Sunderland hosted a few Take That concerts with over 50,000 at each so people must've managed somehow. What i'm telling you for certain is although newcastle has much bigger hotel and even restaurant capacity most of it is taken up in advance by the regular nightlife crowd. If a big 50,000 event comes along in addition they're still all scratching around to get sorted, as i used to trying to book rooms late for say 10 "celebrities/hangers on":). I was often flapping around newcastle at the last minute taking the odd cancellation here and there. It was more stressful that the nights themselves.
You've just reminded me of a couple of times i had to sort out late rooms on Great North Run weekend. Now that was a f*cking nightmare!!

Ive worked amongst it for decades and although it started a decent size it's grown to meet the demand. At times in midweek the supply is too big for the demand, hence clubs closed and/or cheaper prices but that goes with many cities.
As i said, Sunderland hosted a few Take That concerts with over 50,000 at each so people must've managed somehow. What i'm telling you for certain is although newcastle has much bigger hotel and even restaurant capacity most of it is taken up in advance by the regular nightlife crowd. If a big 50,000 event comes along in addition they're still all scratching around to get sorted, as i used to trying to book rooms late for say 10 "celebrities/hangers on":). I was often flapping around newcastle at the last minute taking the odd cancellation here and there. It was more stressful that the nights themselves.
You've just reminded me of a couple of times i had to sort out late rooms on Great North Run weekend. Now that was a f*cking nightmare!!

And there's your answer ...... people manage in Sunderland despite the lack of everything.

A handful of concerts a year wouldn't encourage people to build nightclubs, hotels, or other businesses.

Your plan just wouldn't work in reality, sorry :confused:

And there's your answer ...... people manage in Sunderland despite the lack of everything.

A handful of concerts a year wouldn't encourage people to build nightclubs, hotels, or other businesses.

Your plan just wouldn't work in reality, sorry :confused:
No but it might encourage thousands of people from Sunderland to go nightclubbing and dining in their own town instead of newcastle. The clubs and bars in Sunderland are a f*cking joke apart from one or two that ive seen. The majority are chav music venues for brain dead f*cking idiots and ive only seen a couple doing anything half decent.

It was probably the same people like yourself who said we'd never fill the SOL, a couple of years later we were adding a further 6,000. The only reason it isn't bursting at the seams now is down to a few years of the Skibo Mafia. Unlike yourself ive got huge belief in our fanbase. At present this lot in charge are only scratching the surface of our true potential. One day i hope someone will unlock that potential.

As for venue capacity, you should know that huge venues don't usually operate on a daily or weekly basis, they rely on absolutely nailing it when it really matters. That goes for huge nightclubs compared to smaller ones too, they operate to a totally different financial criteria.

No but it might encourage thousands of people from Sunderland to go nightclubbing and dining in their own town instead of newcastle. The clubs and bars in Sunderland are a f*cking joke apart from one or two that ive seen. The majority are chav music venues for brain dead f*cking idiots and ive only seen a couple doing anything half decent.

It was probably the same people like yourself who said we'd never fill the SOL, a couple of years later we were adding a further 6,000. The only reason it isn't bursting at the seams now is down to a few years of the Skibo Mafia. Unlike yourself ive got huge belief in our fanbase. At present this lot in charge are only scratching the surface of our true potential. One day i hope someone will unlock that potential.

As for venue capacity, you should know that huge venues don't usually operate on a daily or weekly basis, they rely on absolutely nailing it when it really matters. That goes for huge nightclubs compared to smaller ones too, they operate to a totally different financial criteria.

Piston man, your arguments just don't stack up.

I was a night club doormen in Nottingham for 11 years and know how it all works ..... it was a stand up music venue for acts like Oasis, U2, Cure, Pogues, etc.
The bands would come to us via Glasgow Barrowlands, Newcastle City Hall, Leeds, Sheffield City Hall etc, then they'd go off through Leicester de Montfort Hall, Cambridge Corn Exchange etc and down to London ....... Sunderland never came into the equation and never will.

The SOL had to be built, we had no choice ........ I never said we wouldn't fill it, or that it was a mistake, but we struggle.

Sunderland, as a town, is little better than Middlesbrough and you'd be laughed at if you proposed Teeside for major events.

I'd hardly class the odd Take That concert as proof of our place on the world stage .......

Piston man, your arguments just don't stack up.

I was a night club doormen in Nottingham for 11 years and know how it all works ..... it was a stand up music venue for acts like Oasis, U2, Cure, Pogues, etc.
The bands would come to us via Glasgow Barrowlands, Newcastle City Hall, Leeds, Sheffield City Hall etc, then they'd go off through Leicester de Montfort Hall, Cambridge Corn Exchange etc and down to London ....... Sunderland never came into the equation and never will.

The SOL had to be built, we had no choice ........ I never said we wouldn't fill it, or that it was a mistake, but we struggle.

Sunderland, as a town, is little better than Middlesbrough and you'd be laughed at if you proposed Teeside for major events.

I'd hardly class the odd Take That concert as proof of our place on the world stage .......
Sunderland did have a decent music venue which held events similar to newcastle's Mayfair Ballroom. Also. if you want to know a bit about the history of Sunderland's music past read a book called "Doc of the Bay" which highlights the first northeast venue to bring acts like Pink Floyd/Free etc etc up here.
I'm not from Sunderland but know it has a good tradition for live bands, particularly rock related. Most of my work in the field is in newcastle and i agree it's hosted many more "mid-sized" gigs at the city hall and later metro arena.
As it happens, Sunderland has probably hosted many more large scale concerts than newcastle now by far. Apart from the sell-out Take That concerts there's been Oasis(when they were big!!), Bon Jovi, Foo Fighters, Kaizer Chiefs, Rihanna and loads of others ive forgotten about. All 50,000 gigs which aren't some bodies dream, they've already happened!! Newcastle can't come anywhere near to matching this.

You'll know Ocean in nottingham then? It's a venue ive been asked to help with previously but nothing to do with bands etc.

I can't speak for teeside, but Sunderland isn't a proposed site for major events, they've already taken place for the best part of a decade!!:):):)

The fact is that Sunderland, now, is nowhere near Newcastle and I mean nowhere near.

You can't build new hotels, riverside, nightclubs etc, on the strength of half a dozen stadium events a year, it's just nonsense mate.

Ocean is just another boring Chav venue ........ I wouldn't have worked there for any money.

The fact is that Sunderland, now, is nowhere near Newcastle and I mean nowhere near.

You can't build new hotels, riverside, nightclubs etc, on the strength of half a dozen stadium events a year is just nonsense mate.

Ocean is just another boring Chav venue ........ I wouldn't have worked there for any money.
I'm not from Sunderland, i'm tyneside and newcastle based but i understand what goes on up here.
Oh, i forgot a few 50,000 concerts at the SOL for you:-Kings of Leon, Bruce Springsteen, Coldplay, Pink, One Direction, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Pink!!

The record attendance for the SOL is 60,000 plus. Actually it's 60,000 plus for at least 3 Take That concerts for starters!! But we'd never sell it out, there isn't enough buses, hotels or restaurants!! IT"S ALREADY F*CKING HAPPENED MULTIPLE TIMES:). They could've sold loads more tickets and/or done more nights if capacity or time allowed.

As for Ocean, we had to sort some problems externally. Least said the better. It wouldn't bother me either way about the clientele though, ive worked a variety of different venues over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back