Ellis Short's Legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bloke who saved the club from financial ruin; pumped millions into the club for transfers (only to be let down by managers); allowed us to achieve our longest post war stay in the top flight; worked hard so the club could be self sufficient; and finally, a fella who genuinely cared about the club.

For me it depends on the state of the debts when he leaves.

Positives are that he took on the club when Drumaville were desperate to get out. Would anybody else have taken it on (?) would we have been stuck with, drumaville running it on a shoestring, would we have been in championship for the last 5 years?

Also, we have gone 8 years in premier league, our longest run since ???

But I look at the debt we have ran up - if he leaves and clears it then no problem. If he finds someone to come in and clear it then no problem.

If we are left in a Leeds situation or something similar then obviously it would be seen as a bad few years of ownshership.

Ie billionaire came in, fought relegation every season, ran up £95m in debt in process, went down anyway and then spent 10 years recovering. That would be seen as pretty poor ownership in my opinion.

You make it sound like we haven't received hundreds of millions from the PL/SKY.

Sadly, unlike Bob Murray i think Ellis will be very quickly forgotten about. That is a shame in my eyes. He just doesn't seem capable of achieving anything of note that will last.
What I am saying, is we have an expensively assembled squad and have spent money. Sure someone said we are the 8th highest spenders over the last few years.

What I am saying, is we have an expensively assembled squad and have spent money. Sure someone said we are the 8th highest spenders over the last few years.
I'm afraid leaving a legacy has little to do with spending money, it's down to achievements. Bob Murray didn't spend an awful lot of his own money but he based himself in Sunderland and dedicated all his time to leaving a legacy. He did that with the Stadium of Light, The Academy of Light amongst a few other things. Bob Murray will always be remembered.
Sadly, human nature dictates that just spending a bit of PL/SKY money will quickly be forgotten. It doesn't affect people or touch their lives in any way.

A bloke who saved the club from financial ruin; pumped millions into the club for transfers (only to be let down by managers); allowed us to achieve our longest post war stay in the top flight; worked hard so the club could be self sufficient; and finally, a fella who genuinely cared about the club.
Good post mate. He can be blamed for over seeing his money wasted time after time, but he did try to make as much money available as possible. Plus he is covering debts every season with his own money if reports are true. Easy to say Fuck off short, but where would we be without him? The thought of that isn't pretty either.

I'm afraid leaving a legacy has little to do with spending money, it's down to achievements. Bob Murray didn't spend an awful lot of his own money but he based himself in Sunderland and dedicated all his time to leaving a legacy. He did that with the Stadium of Light, The Academy of Light amongst a few other things. Bob Murray will always be remembered.
Sadly, human nature dictates that just spending a bit of PL/SKY money will quickly be forgotten. It doesn't affect people or touch their lives in any way.
Well he would be wasting his money even more buildr another studium or training ground. His "legacy" as you put it, will be of a man who tried to make our club better, but surrounded himself with the wrong people and was badly advised. A man who made money available, more than any other owner we've had, for team strengthening, but watched managers and recruitment teams waste it.

Last edited:
:).

I want Ellis to have something to show for his money in terms of a legacy, otherwise his time and ours have been completely wasted.
Bob Murray left a lasting legacy to Sunderland. Despite many shortfalls and not being mega rich he managed to leave his never to be forgotten mark.

Gold taps?

You make it sound like we haven't received hundreds of millions from the PL/SKY.

Sadly, unlike Bob Murray i think Ellis will be very quickly forgotten about. That is a shame in my eyes. He just doesn't seem capable of achieving anything of note that will last.

Unlikely. I do agree that a massive chance has been, largely, wasted but we've had the longest top flight run in many people's lifetimes and have at least got to a cup final. Should we have achieved more with the money generated from this top flight run and the money spent? Undoubtedly, we should be easily ahead of teams who are just coming up now (Watford, Bournemouth and the likes) but unfortunately, for Sunderland, this is still as good as it's been for ages. His legacy will depend on where we are when he goes and who he sells us to

Some of the best and worse football was under Murray's tenure. At least under Short we've had what must be our longest stint in the top flight. Plus, its not his fault most of the money he's given his managers (of which there have been plenty of funds to have a decent side) has been largely wasted.

When the inevitable finally does happen how will The Ghost of Skibo Castle be remembered for his time at Sunderland?
Short term in the immediate aftermath?
In years to come in terms of his overall legacy?
Mate, despite my ribbing of you I used to think you were a good poster, but you are becoming a bit dull. Also, this ghost of skibo castle craic tjat you are desperate to catch on is a bit cringey.

That's laughable man ........ nonsense like that does nowt for your argument.

Pity he never released the funds needed when we were top of the league under Reid. Not totally his fault mind, Reidy was a bit of a tight arse as well tbf and thought we perhaps had enough when the squad clearly wasn't big enough to sustain being at the top.

Rich guy who spent and spent but we still went backwards cause the club is cursed. So he stoped spending and still continued going backwards saving himself alot of money. The end

I hope he sticks around and finally gets it right - surely this must happen at some point.

He has chucked loads of money at this project without having had sensible control mechanisms in place, so hopefully this time will be differrent.

Goes now and he will be the king that squandered a fortune.
think he'll be the next randy learner i'm afraid, he'll be selling soon i reckon

Bob Murray dedicated thousands of hours of his life to ensure the Stadium and Academy were completed successfully. He was hands on and oversaw everything to make sure it happened.
Ellis Short pops in once in a while and attends the odd derby game. Oh, i nearly forgot, he once bought quite a few curries.
I know who i think dedicated his time to leaving a lasting legacy.

Bob Murray dedicated thousands of hours of his life to ensure the Stadium and Academy were completed successfully. He was hands on and oversaw everything to make sure it happened.
Ellis Short pops in once in a while and attends the odd derby game. Oh, i nearly forgot, he once bought quite a few curries.
I know who i think dedicated his time to leaving a lasting legacy.

Piston man, you're just making wild statements when you don't actually know the facts, neither do I tbh.

However, I don't believe he 'based himself in Sunderland' as you claim.

If you know he did then where?

And how could he not be 'hands on' when he was instrumental in the stadium being built?

How many 'thousands of hours' are you claiming he spent on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back