Ellis Short's Legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've rarely seen so much guesswork put forward as fact.

Short out?

Who in?

A multi millionaire like Ashley, the Dildo Twins, the Blackburn owners, the Leeds maniac, QPR's fantasist, Villa's new owner?

Here's some more guesswork to throw on the pile ........ I'd bet Short wishes he'd never set eyes on SAFC.

Well let's put it this way, Sir Bob Murray left more of a legacy in the five minutes he put in every now and then than Ellis Short has up to now.
Sir Bob Murray left a lasting legacy. He was the driving force. He was the motivator. He made sure it happened.

I used to see the fella in question on a regular basis, he was a Sunderland supporter before he joined the club but that wasn't how i got to know him, which was through his older brother. For various reasons i didn't bump into him as much when he was at the club but i always found out bits of info, not all of it current but he always put me right on exactly what had happened in recent activity. I haven't seen him for a good while now as we lost contact.
I'd be very surprised if he isn't on this forum. If he is he'll remember the time i flattened a few skinheads who threw a bottle at him and pinched his bicycle. I doubt he'd forget the incident in question and me getting his bike back.
If your reading this fella remember the word:- BABOOOOOOOOOON!!! Yes it's me!!!:)

Not really fair, since clearly Ellis putting in money for a new AOL/SOL would be a waste AS BOB HAD ALREADY DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A fair comparison would be how much have each of them put into the club out of their own pocket, taking into account inflation.

Any inside info on that one?

Not really fair, since clearly Ellis putting in money for a new AOL/SOL would be a waste AS BOB HAD ALREADY DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A fair comparison would be how much have each of them put into the club out of their own pocket, taking into account inflation.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spending money does not give you a legacy, which is what this thread is about.
Achieving something lasting gives you a legacy, even if that means being smart enough to look down every avenue for grants or funding etc.
Sir Bob Murray found a way to get the job done and left a lasting legacy.

With regards Ellis Short, he doesn't even bother maintaining the stadium to a decent level, never mind improve or develop it.
It's a f*cking good job Sir Bob Murray put these major building blocks in place for us because we'd be playing on f*cking wasteland if it was left up to Short.

Achieving something lasting gives you a legacy, even if that means being smart enough to look down every avenue for grants or funding etc.

With regards Ellis Short, he doesn't even bother maintaining the stadium to a decent level, never mind improve or develop it.
It's a f*cking good job Sir Bob Murray put these major building blocks in place for us because we'd be playing on f*cking wasteland if it was left up to Short.

What do you suggest, a tower :lol:

BTW, who's legacy was Roker Park ........ obviously a household name at Piston's.

What do you suggest, a tower :lol:

BTW, who's legacy was Roker Park ........ obviously a household name at Piston's.

Extend the stadium so it's ready for even bigger concerts, world sporting events like the rugby and hopefully one day the football team doing well.
It isn't for me to think of Short's legacy for him. If you'd told me in the early nineties that Sir Bob Murray would drive a new 40,000plus stadium project from concept to conclusion i'd have laughed at you. Most at the time would've questioned his ability to manage a bathroom refit. Sir Bob Murray achieved it, and followed it up with the Academy.

It's up to Ellis Short to take the next step forward, either on the pitch or off it. The ball is very much in his court.

As for Roker Park, it became a legacy in itself. Roker Park is the legacy.

Correct me if I'm wrong

1) You think that if Ellis had took over SAFC at Roker, SAFC would still be there (possibly with no renovation either).

2) Replacing pink seats is more of a legacy than ploughing money into signing players.

I'm not sure extending the stadium would help SAFC on the pitch. Look at Juve's recent history for reference.

For us, just under fifty is either a good fit or slightly too large.

That's laughable man ........ nonsense like that does nowt for your argument.

Thats the problem with this place. SAFC monitor it and theres a lot of sensible discussions and suggestions made here but every now and then summit pops up that makes them dismiss the place out of hand.

Frinstance The away ticket price arguement always cracks the powers that be in football up. "blah blah blah, price of tickets and trains and programmes and the food inside of the ground blah blah blah and the price of a drink............... Arguement lost and dismissed immediately. Anyone dumb enough to throw in the price of alcohol into a reasoned arguement isnt bright enough to be worth listening too think/know TPTB.

Extend the stadium so it's ready for even bigger concerts, world sporting events like the rugby and hopefully one day the football team doing well.
It isn't for me to think of Short's legacy for him. If you'd told me in the early nineties that Sir Bob Murray would drive a new 40,000plus stadium project from concept to conclusion i'd have laughed at you. Most at the time would've questioned his ability to manage a bathroom refit. Sir Bob Murray achieved it, and followed it up with the Academy.

It's up to Ellis Short to take the next step forward, either on the pitch or off it. The ball is very much in his court.

As for Roker Park, it became a legacy in itself. Roker Park is the legacy.

I was thinking about your master-plan and I'm afraid it would be doomed to failure.
Instead of just lashing out with a reply please do yourself a favour and think about this.

I went to the recent 3-0 derby match at Sunderland with my son. As it was a noon kick off we decided to book a hotel for the Saturday night so we wouldn't have a 3 hour drive on the Sunday. So I went on Trivago, Booking.com, Laterooms etc and couldn't get a room. So we took a flyer and drove up anyway, still nowt.
As a precaution we came up in the van and brought the sleeping bags etc, we go walking and staying out on mountains so it's nowt new.

We couldn't even find a B&B and our emergency accommodation, The Acorn, was full. We met up with mates from Nottingham, Devon and a few from Australia who'd come over for the match. So, we parked up and went into Sunderland for a 'night out'. As much as I love the club and the people I have to say it's no better than Mansfield. We ate at an 'Italian', near the Worm, that was average at best, and went round the best pubs Sunderland could offer ........ I have to be honest it's not great.

I lived & worked in Nottingham and, although it's never felt like home, have to say it has much more to offer than Sunderland.

My point is that you can build the biggest & best stadium the world has ever seen but it would be like building a massive indoor pool, steam room & solarium on the back of the Deaf Club ....... one thing just can't support the other. If we can't find a room on an October night then how would the town welcome thousands of people for concerts & sporting events? What can we offer them .... a Travelodge, the Illuminations, a Saturday night 'turn' at the Victory Club?

There aren't enough decent restaurants, night clubs or even taxis for anything like that. Sunderland is canny but that's as good as it gets.

Yes it's up to Ellis Short .........

Logon or register to see this image

I was thinking about your master-plan and I'm afraid it would be doomed to failure.
Instead of just lashing out with a reply please do yourself a favour and think about this.

I went to the recent 3-0 derby match at Sunderland with my son. As it was a noon kick off we decided to book a hotel for the Saturday night so we wouldn't have a 3 hour drive on the Sunday. So I went on Trivago, Booking.com, Laterooms etc and couldn't get a room. So we took a flyer and drove up anyway, still nowt.
As a precaution we came up in the van and brought the sleeping bags etc, we go walking and staying out on mountains so it's nowt new.

We couldn't even find a B&B and our emergency accommodation, The Acorn, was full. We met up with mates from Nottingham, Devon and a few from Australia who'd come over for the match. So, we parked up and went into Sunderland for a 'night out'. As much as I love the club and the people I have to say it's no better than Mansfield. We ate at an 'Italian', near the Worm, that was average at best, and went round the best pubs Sunderland could offer ........ I have to be honest it's not great.

I lived & worked in Nottingham and, although it's never felt like home, have to say it has much more to offer than Sunderland.

My point is that you can build the biggest & best stadium the world has ever seen but it would be like building a massive indoor pool, steam room & solarium on the back of the Deaf Club ....... one thing just can't support the other. If we can't find a room on an October night then how would the town welcome thousands of people for concerts & sporting events? What can we offer them .... a Travelodge, the Illuminations, a Saturday night 'turn' at the Victory Club?

There aren't enough decent restaurants, night clubs or even taxis for anything like that. Sunderland is canny but that's as good as it gets.

Yes it's up to Ellis Short .........

Logon or register to see this image
I understand exactly what you're saying that the all round infrastructure isn't there. Sunderland has nowhere near enough hotels etc but in it's defence it has managed numerous big concerts in the past. Many of the concerts had over 50,000 people there from all over the uk and it coped.
I used to book accommodation for acts in newcastle on weekend nights and that wasn't always easy either, despite there being many thousands of rooms which were always full with regular punters and hen/stag parties. Luckily we knew plenty of staff in them and managed to get first dibs on cancellations otherwise we'd have struggled even in newcastle. A few times the artists stayed in one hotel and some of the entourage were in another. A couple of times the best option we could get was actually the Marriott in Seaburn as they required minimum 5 star but we managed to persuade them to take 4 star in the circumstances.

There is the argument that supply will increase to meet the demand which is exactly how newcastle's nightlife grew, or the alternative build it and they will come.
Nottingham is a great night out and has been for a lot of years. Ive worked and been there myself as some people i worked for had a big club there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back