Ellis Short's Legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piston man, you're just making wild statements when you don't actually know the facts, neither do I tbh.

However, I don't believe he 'based himself in Sunderland' as you claim.

If you know he did then where?

And how could he not be 'hands on' when he was instrumental in the stadium being built?

How many 'thousands of hours' are you claiming he spent on it?
When i say based himself in Sunderland i mean he lived locally and attended the club virtually every day to run it.
He was hands on because he wanted to make sure it happened.
He put in the hours from concept to completion. Right from the initial planning stage to when the first ball was kicked.
Sir Bob Murray drove the project and saw it through.
Sir Bob Murray left a legacy.

When i say based himself in Sunderland i mean he lived locally and attended the club virtually every day to run it.
He was hands on because he wanted to make sure it happened.
He put in the hours from concept to completion. Right from the initial planning stage to when the first ball was kicked.
Sir Bob Murray drove the project and saw it through.
Sir Bob Murray left a legacy.

I don't believe he did.

You've actually no idea how many 'thousands of hours' he put in.

I don't believe he did.

You've actually no idea how many 'thousands of hours' he put in.
How did he get here every day, fly in by helicopter??
At the time he was seen at just about every match. When Premier Passions was screened every shot of Murray was in Sunderland. At the time he was interviewed regularly and every time it was up here. I know someone who worked at the club during that era, he was fairly high up the chain.

Rich guy who spent and spent but we still went backwards cause the club is cursed. So he stoped spending and still continued going backwards saving himself alot of money. The end

think he'll be the next randy learner i'm afraid, he'll be selling soon i reckon

From what I've heard (albeit a while ago, a few months before the cup final) he's already looking to go, it's finding a buyer that will be hard, an area where you can't charge through the roof for tickets, nothing in the way of valuable land you can use for housing and FFP to prevent you overspending to establish in the top half, it's a very hard sell unless you're like Murray and accept a low bid for the good of the club (which I doubt Short will do)

A man who took over when Drumaville were skint and we could easily have gone down. A man who loved the club and poured a fortune of his own money into the club. But bizarrely let clowns run it and waste the money. Hopefully before he does go the final bit will be put right.

From what I've heard (albeit a while ago, a few months before the cup final) he's already looking to go, it's finding a buyer that will be hard, an area where you can't charge through the roof for tickets, nothing in the way of valuable land you can use for housing and FFP to prevent you overspending to establish in the top half, it's a very hard sell unless you're like Murray and accept a low bid for the good of the club (which I doubt Short will do)
Bullshit. He is not looking to sell. I talked to him at length at the cup final.

Last edited:
How did he get here every day, fly in by helicopter??
At the time he was seen at just about every match. When Premier Passions was screened every shot of Murray was in Sunderland. At the time he was interviewed regularly and every time it was up here. I know someone who worked at the club during that era, he was fairly high up the chain.

You're just guessing ........ he wasn't based in Sunderland, at all, but made sure he was there every time a camera was pointed.

Thousands of hours .......... Piston man you don't have any facts, whatsoever, to back up what you're saying.

You post some decent stuff but, at other times, just make yersel look obsessed and daft ..... this is one of those times tbh.

You're just guessing ........ he wasn't based in Sunderland, at all, but made sure he was there every time a camera was pointed.

Thousands of hours .......... Piston man you don't have any facts, whatsoever, to back up what you're saying.

You post some decent stuff but, at other times, just make yersel look obsessed and daft ..... this is one of those times tbh.
I know someone who worked at the club who was high up, but not Fickling. I knew him long before he joined the club so i got bits of information.

I hope he sticks around and finally gets it right - surely this must happen at some point.

He has chucked loads of money at this project without having had sensible control mechanisms in place, so hopefully this time will be differrent.

Goes now and he will be the king that squandered a fortune.

like he's going to walk with the new deal coming in to being next season:lol:
I am totally and utterly confident ES will give BSA free reign in January because Sam will have told Ellis in no uncertain terms that we are fkd if we dont have a good window.

I am totally and utterly confident ES will give BSA free reign in January because Sam will have told Ellis in no uncertain terms that we are fkd if we dont have a good window.
Do you think there will be time to turn it around in january? I'm fairly certain most of the other clubs will strengthen too.
I think it's starting to become a tall order, and it gets more difficult with every game that passes.

I hope you are right, although havent we all had the expectation of ES handing over the required investment to each new manager and been left disappointed. Time will tell.

I know someone who worked at the club who was high up, but not Fickling. I knew him long before he joined the club so i got bits of information.

Like what, that Murray was at the club he owned from time to time ........ do you have any other shocking revelations :lol:

This ....... the way people talk you'd think there was a queue of buyers beating down the doors to the SOL.

Newcastle, Villa, etc can't find a buyer and West Ham was sold for a quid.

It really is about time people stopped bellyaching just for he sake of it.

I'd say we we're turning into the Mags on here if I didn't think half the posters were already Mags.

Last edited:
Someone who could quite easily have pulled out as soon as it began going wrong, as we see all these dodgy Russians do, but kept trying to fix it and kept pumping money in. Guilty of being taken in by the shitehawks, bullshitters and flyby night merchants that dominate football, but not much else.

Like what, that Murray was at the club he owned from time to time ........ do you have any other shocking revelations :lol:

This ....... the way people talk you'd think there was a queue of buyers beating down the doors to the SOL.

Newcastle, Villa, etc can't find a buyer and West Ham was sold for a quid.

It really is about time people stopped bellyaching just for he sake of it.

I'd say we we're turning into the Mags on here if I didn't think half the posters were already Mags.

Well let's put it this way, Sir Bob Murray left more of a legacy in the five minutes he put in every now and then than Ellis Short has up to now.
Sir Bob Murray left a lasting legacy. He was the driving force. He was the motivator. He made sure it happened.

I used to see the fella in question on a regular basis, he was a Sunderland supporter before he joined the club but that wasn't how i got to know him, which was through his older brother. For various reasons i didn't bump into him as much when he was at the club but i always found out bits of info, not all of it current but he always put me right on exactly what had happened in recent activity. I haven't seen him for a good while now as we lost contact.
I'd be very surprised if he isn't on this forum. If he is he'll remember the time i flattened a few skinheads who threw a bottle at him and pinched his bicycle. I doubt he'd forget the incident in question and me getting his bike back.
If your reading this fella remember the word:- BABOOOOOOOOOON!!! Yes it's me!!!:)

Last edited:
Well let's put it this way, Sir Bob Murray left more of a legacy in the five minutes he put in every now and then than Ellis Short has up to now.
Sir Bob Murray left a lasting legacy. He was the driving force. He was the motivator. He made sure it happened.

I used to see the fella in question on a regular basis, he was a Sunderland supporter before he joined the club but that wasn't how i got to know him, which was through his older brother. For various reasons i didn't bump into him as much when he was at the club but i always found out bits of info, not all of it current but he always put me right on exactly what had happened in recent activity. I haven't seen him for a good while now as we lost contact.
I'd be very surprised if he isn't on this forum. If he is he'll remember the time i flattened a few skinheads who threw a bottle at him and pinched his bicycle. I doubt he'd forget the incident in question.
If your reading this fella remember the word:- BABOOOOOOOOOON!!! Yes it's me!!!:)

If you mean he relegated Sunderland, got the club into massive debt and sold it for peanuts you probably have a point.

If you mean he relegated Sunderland, got the club into massive debt and sold it for peanuts you probably have a point.
He was here for a long time and without doubt there were low points but in the end with the good he did he managed to re-write his legacy. I'd agree, at one point this was against all odds.
For the time and money Short has put in, however arguable the amounts are, it looks like he'll be forgotten about very quickly. In my opinion that's a shame, as ive already said.

My criticising Short won't stop him creating a legacy, only he can do that for himself. He can do it by spending big/bigger or putting in a lot of work like Sir Bob Murray. However he chooses is his business, but at the moment he's falling a long way short.

Anyway, ive got to go out and fire up a few engines and rotate some wheels.

You just know Piston spends his days sitting, silently muttering, in a small room plastered with pictures of Ellis.

Someone who could quite easily have pulled out as soon as it began going wrong, as we see all these dodgy Russians do, but kept trying to fix it and kept pumping money in. Guilty of being taken in by the shitehawks, bullshitters and flyby night merchants that dominate football, but not much else.

clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back