Egg chasers of the SMB

It's been unsustainable for a while now. Wasps are merely the worst example, their owners (not the rugby administration themselves I don't think) were nonsensical as well as shitty in their approach to the Ricoh stadium, cutting off their nose to spite their face
Yep and clearly Worcester and Wasps are not the only ones, guess we will hear of many other clubs facing similar issues in the coming weeks.
Doesn't appear to be any obviou solutions mind ?

Yep and clearly Worcester and Wasps are not the only ones, guess we will hear of many other clubs facing similar issues in the coming weeks.
Doesn't appear to be any obviou solutions mind ?
Something has to give somewhere, there's been too much money committed by too many people for the game to remain self sustaining. A model like the IRFU's would seem to be the obvious solution, but they only have 4 elite clubs to manage. The RFU haven't got a pot to piss in at the moment and we're talking about them controlling 13 clubs (at least, what about the pro clubs in the Championship?)

It really needs all the Unions to work together to find a solution that not only benefits player welfare, but also allows clubs the most efficient way of using their expensive playing assets. Having your highest paid player only available for half your games every season simply doesn't work, unless you have an owner with money to burn and Salarycens' accountant.

Vaguely connected but various staff at Worcester are only getting paid 65% of their wages at the moment, and there's a feeling the owners are pissing about instead of getting on with selling to the new owners to avoid disaster. So for last night's Premiership Cup match the official Twitter account provided updates for 52 minutes then said right that's 65% of the match, we're going to clock off now
Something has to give somewhere, there's been too much money committed by too many people for the game to remain self sustaining. A model like the IRFU's would seem to be the obvious solution, but they only have 4 elite clubs to manage. The RFU haven't got a pot to piss in at the moment and we're talking about them controlling 13 clubs (at least, what about the pro clubs in the Championship?)

It really needs all the Unions to work together to find a solution that not only benefits player welfare, but also allows clubs the most efficient way of using their expensive playing assets. Having your highest paid player only available for half your games every season simply doesn't work, unless you have an owner with money to burn and Salarycens' accountant.

I don't really see a way round overall RFU ownership/control of clubs and a top flight with no relegation. Probably need to split the teams into two conferences of 7 and then do something about the number of games

Last edited:
Vaguely connected but various staff at Worcester are only getting paid 65% of their wages at the moment, and there's a feeling the owners are pissing about instead of getting on with selling to the new owners to avoid disaster. So for last night's Premiership Cup match the official Twitter account provided updates for 52 minutes then said right that's 65% of the match, we're going to clock off now

I don't really see a way round overall RFU ownership/control of clubs and a top flight with no relegation. Probably need to split the teams into two conferences of 7 and then do something about the number of games
There certainly needs to be a domestic restructure, because there are simply too many games. Right now, an England international player has up to 12 England matches per year (6 nations, 3 summer tour matches, 4 November internationals) his club has 24 league games, plus at least 4 European games, but could be as many as 8. Even allowing for the league games played during international windows, it's over 40 weeks of the year.

The conference system seems like a good way to reduce the number of games, but I would take it a step further and merge the domestic leagues with the European Cups and look to run one competition for elite club rugby in Europe with a system similar to that of the NFL, so you would have certain teams that would meet each year to preserve local derbies for instance, and others that would meet less frequently, but set up in a way that everyone would play everyone else at least once every few years. If copying the NFL, we could then have some form of play-off system and a Super Bowl style final. If set up properly, it could both reduce the number of games, allow for international windows and be exciting to watch for the fans.

There certainly needs to be a domestic restructure, because there are simply too many games. Right now, an England international player has up to 12 England matches per year (6 nations, 3 summer tour matches, 4 November internationals) his club has 24 league games, plus at least 4 European games, but could be as many as 8. Even allowing for the league games played during international windows, it's over 40 weeks of the year.

The conference system seems like a good way to reduce the number of games, but I would take it a step further and merge the domestic leagues with the European Cups and look to run one competition for elite club rugby in Europe with a system similar to that of the NFL, so you would have certain teams that would meet each year to preserve local derbies for instance, and others that would meet less frequently, but set up in a way that everyone would play everyone else at least once every few years. If copying the NFL, we could then have some form of play-off system and a Super Bowl style final. If set up properly, it could both reduce the number of games, allow for international windows and be exciting to watch for the fans.

I could see that - maybe have the European games as a kind of mini super league after the main league is finished.

I could see that - maybe have the European games as a kind of mini super league after the main league is finished.
Could do, if it did use a system where the regular season games were between teams from across Europe (current Pro 14, Top 14 and Premiership) with a "post season" (to use the NFL term) of the top teams from each conference meeting in a knock out competition you would get a more representative European Cup as seedings would be based on the strongest teams for the current season rather than the previous season as it is at the moment. It could also keep all teams involved at the post season stage by also having a concurrent knock out competition for the teams in the lower half of each conference.

It just takes someone with the power to make things happen to show a little creative thinking and offer a change to benefit the long term future of the game, the challenge then will be convincing those with their noses in the trough to accept some short term pain to allow it to happen.

Got England Vs South Africa tickets in November , love a trip to Twickenham
You lucky sod.

Love the autumn internationals. Last November I spent the day at my dads and we watched Wales v Australia, England v South Africa and France v New Zealand one after the other whilst drinking copious amounts of booze. It was class.

Bath v Wasps tonight. Two famous old clubs.

Currently Bath 0-6 Wasps.

You lucky sod.

Love the autumn internationals. Last November I spent the day at my dads and we watched Wales v Australia, England v South Africa and France v New Zealand one after the other whilst drinking copious amounts of booze. It was class.

Bath still being as shite as ever, easily kickable early penalty and we go to the corner, sure enough cough up possession 🤦‍♂️

If you're a first XV member, there are still tickets available for both South Africa and New Zealand, all 4 categories for the Boks, but only Cat 1&2 for NZ (£153 or £179)

Bath still being as shite as ever, easily kickable early penalty and we go to the corner, sure enough cough up possession 🤦‍♂️

If you're a first XV member, there are still tickets available for both South Africa and New Zealand, all 4 categories for the Boks, but only Cat 1&2 for NZ (£153 or £179)
I am a first 15 member and entered a ballot for S.Africa and I think France in the 6 Nations back in July I think but was told I was unsuccessful.🤷‍♂️ Am I fuck paying those prices though.

Don’t think I’ll bother with First 15 next year. Forked out £40 for it and I’ve got nothing out of it bar a small discount on a few things on the England store. It’s just a money making racket.

Not looking good at all for Worcester. The current thinking is tomorrow will be their last game v Newcastle.

Monday is D-Day when they have to convince the authorities they have the funds to carry on, pay the liability insurance to even allow the players to train at Sixways, have enough to cover the payroll and come up with a plan moving forwards.

I am a first 15 member and entered a ballot for S.Africa and I think France in the 6 Nations back in July I think but was told I was unsuccessful.🤷‍♂️ Am I fuck paying those prices though.

Don’t think I’ll bother with First 15 next year. Forked out £40 for it and I’ve got nothing out of it bar a small discount on a few things on the England store. It’s just a money making racket.
£75 for SA in the nosebleeds, still steep but I've convinced myself I can justify it :lol:

Hoping they do a similar resale for the 6N now. If they doz it's a lesson learned not to bother with the ballot if they only release higher price tickets for that.

You lucky sod.

Can’t wait mate, love going in the cabbage patch pub before heading to Twickenham

Agreed, two proper clubs

Not looking good at all for Worcester. The current thinking is tomorrow will be their last game v Newcastle.

Monday is D-Day when they have to convince the authorities they have the funds to carry on, pay the liability insurance to even allow the players to train at Sixways, have enough to cover the payroll and come up with a plan moving forwards.

Everything crossed for the Warriors, I really hope something can be done for their future and that of the professional game in England without them needing to be a martyr.

I think we're even worse than last season, what the hell is going on at the club?

We look toothless in attack and helpless in defence. Depressing times, and not even England as a respite with Eddie Jones still in charge.
Absolutely woeful. You have the players as that try just showed.

Back