Dubai again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The statement from the complainant & the coppers that attended seem to contradict what the bloke is saying, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.
I spend a few days there most years, it's where our Eastern hemisphere office is. I don't like the place personally but it's nowhere near as bad as some of these comments suggest. I wouldn't go there on holiday as it has nothing that appeals to me - I hate shopping malls and the drink is too expensive for a chap with my consumption levels.
Some of the new hotels they are knocking up in Oman look mint but I wouldn't want to holiday there either despite it being a far more relaxed place (and Muscat is decent for a visit).

It wasn't too bad really, in the right places.

New 100% VAT on booze and cigs though, so not sure about prices from april this year?!

It wasn't too bad really, in the right places.

New 100% VAT on booze and cigs though, so not sure about prices from april this year?!

I can't recall exactly but I think I was paying £8+ for a pint, it makes for an expensive night out. Not as bad as the Heineken Lounge in the airport. Eleven f***ing quid a pint in April this year.

I worked out there quite a few times when younger, was very lucky not to get locked up a few times to be fair.

Point is, I saw a Pakistani chap get mowed down by a national in a Ferrari. He was crossing as the light was green to walk. He was in a very bad way, Police turned up to drag him into the back of their car as the driver screamed at him.

Now im a bit older and slightly less naive, I wouldn't go there.

I can't recall exactly but I think I was paying £8+ for a pint, it makes for an expensive night out. Not as bad as the Heineken Lounge in the airport. Eleven f***ing quid a pint in April this year.

Aye some of the hotel bars you can pay that, but there's loads of cheaper places once you get to know the place, plus if you catch the happy "hours" and get 2-4-1 etc..

£11?! haha wow! I always skipped past that straight to a lounge, there's one in Schipol aint there??

Aye some of the hotel bars you can pay that, but there's loads of cheaper places once you get to know the place, plus if you catch the happy "hours" and get 2-4-1 etc..

£11?! haha wow! I always skipped past that straight to a lounge, there's one in Schipol aint there??

The Schipol one isn't too bad, around €5 I think.

The statement from the complainant & the coppers that attended seem to contradict what the bloke is saying, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.
I spend a few days there most years, it's where our Eastern hemisphere office is. I don't like the place personally but it's nowhere near as bad as some of these comments suggest. I wouldn't go there on holiday as it has nothing that appeals to me - I hate shopping malls and the drink is too expensive for a chap with my consumption levels.
Some of the new hotels they are knocking up in Oman look mint but I wouldn't want to holiday there either despite it being a far more relaxed place (and Muscat is decent for a visit).

Listening to this being discussed today on a radio phone in I'd tend to believe what the locked up lad is saying.
It seems you can do what you like if you're an emirate and the police always believe you over a foreigner. Contrived charges and nothing incidents result in arrest if the complainant is an emirate and the other party is foreign.
One caller said he tried to change some money at a bureau de change and was told one of his notes was a forgery. The teller insisted on calling the police and this man was arrested then his families hotel room was turned over by the police. Eventually charges were dropped but a year later he returned to the country and was arrested again but this time held for 4 weeks. Why he went back I can't work out, I doubt he'll go again though.

Listening to this being discussed today on a radio phone in I'd tend to believe what the locked up lad is saying.
It seems you can do what you like if you're an emirate and the police always believe you over a foreigner. Contrived charges and nothing incidents result in arrest if the complainant is an emirate and the other party is foreign.
One caller said he tried to change some money at a bureau de change and was told one of his notes was a forgery. The teller insisted on calling the police and this man was arrested then his families hotel room was turned over by the police. Eventually charges were dropped but a year later he returned to the country and was arrested again but this time held for 4 weeks. Why he went back I can't work out, I doubt he'll go again though.

known people to get into debt and they just get first flight out of there leaving cars etc behind...

known people to get into debt and they just get first flight out of there leaving cars etc behind...
I'd say first flight out of there is the right course of action. This is a country that wants to make money from luxury tourism but treats tourists like shite. It's hard to feel sorry for anybody who goes and then falls foul of its petty rules and laws. Westeners should stay well away from the place.

I'm currently in Qatar and have not been allowed to leave the country for two and a half years and not been allowed to work for one year as I have opened a court case against my employer for not paying my salary for two years, the employer keeps not turning up to the court dates so it gets adjourned to another date. This is a well known delay tactic so that you will drop the case against them. I have another two mates in the same boat.

I'm currently in Qatar and have not been allowed to leave the country for two and a half years and not been allowed to work for one year as I have opened a court case against my employer for not paying my salary for two years, the employer keeps not turning up to the court dates so it gets adjourned to another date. This is a well known delay tactic so that you will drop the case against them. I have another two mates in the same boat.

:eek: Sorry to hear that mate. How the hell you lads getting by??

Now there's a backwards hole, what a shit situation

Easy to say sitting here but shouldn't you have got out as soon as the non payment started ? Not always easy to leave Qatar I know

Easy to say sitting here but shouldn't you have got out as soon as the non payment started ? Not always easy to leave Qatar I know

Qatar is very much different to UAE don’t you need permission to leave or something? So can be blocked immediately at the sniff of any disput as employer will refuse your exit.

I think??

:eek: Sorry to hear that mate. How the hell you lads getting by??
Cheers mate, my mam and dad have been sending me money, but I had a couple of cars I sold just to get by. It is a nightmare living off bread and tomatoes, I've lost 3 clem so every cloud and all that:lol:

Cheers mate, my mam and dad have been sending me money, but I had a couple of cars I sold just to get by. It is a nightmare living off bread and tomatoes, I've lost 3 clem so every cloud and all that:lol:

A bit of an extreme method of weight loss mind!! :lol:

Disgusting how they can do shit like this mind. Even worse that our gov don’t have more powers to help. If the shoe was on the other foot, we would be bending over backwards to help the foreign nationals (not that this would ever happen mind!)

Any end in sight mate or just constant delay tactics?

At the time I had quite a bit of money saved up and was told the money will come and be played when the company gets a bit bigger, then before you know it you are too far in, also you can't leave the country without permission from your sponsor he has to authorize it only.

At the time I had quite a bit of money saved up and was told the money will come and be played when the company gets a bit bigger, then before you know it you are too far in, also you can't leave the country without permission from your sponsor he has to authorize it only.

Aye, thats what I thought. So basically you are at the absolute mercy of your employer. They get pissed off and you’re fucked. Absolute madness in this day and age mate.

Is there anything similar to that detained in Dubai group who are always in the papers? Or having to fund everything yourself?

Horrid situation mate.

Qatar is very much different to UAE don’t you need permission to leave or something? So can be blocked immediately at the sniff of any disput as employer will refuse your exit.

I think??
Yes mate if the sponsor doesn't want you to leave then you can't, it's happened to me when I was going on holiday a few years ago I got to the airport and he forgotten to authorize it so I was blocked until he went online and unblocked it.

A bit of an extreme method of weight loss mind!! :lol:

Disgusting how they can do shit like this mind. Even worse that our gov don’t have more powers to help. If the shoe was on the other foot, we would be bending over backwards to help the foreign nationals (not that this would ever happen mind!)

Any end in sight mate or just constant delay tactics?
I have been in a lot of contact with Julie Elliott our local MP but nothing is happening out British embassy are useless they have told me point blank there is nothing they are allowed to get involved with, my next step is the media, I have a new court date for the 12th of November but I don't hold much hope for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back