Dubai again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was once arrested there for having an empty larger can visible in the cup holder of my car......

Spent a couple of hours in the cells, until a friend who spoke arabic managed to get me released.

Also went through the court system there on another occasion. Had my passport confiscated for 4 months. British Consulate was no help at all. Had a friend who was editor of The Gulf News, who ran my story on the front page. Result all charges dropped and passport back within 48 hours.

A bloke I worked with three years ago told me that a colleague was arrested in his sleep as a national crashed into his car on the street. The rationale is if he hadn't been in the country, there'd be no car present to crash into.

Bonkers.

Last edited:
I was once arrested there for having an empty larger can visible in the cup holder of my car......

Spent a couple of hours in the cells, until a friend who spoke arabic managed to get me released.

Also went through the court system there on another occasion. Had my passport confiscated for 4 months. British Consulate was no help at all. Had a friend who was editor of The Gulf News, who ran my story on the front page. Result all charges dropped and passport back within 48 hours.

Well although excessive you might find yourself in big trouble for that driving anywhere but your last sentence tells us a whole lot about the workings of the state.

Well although excessive you might find yourself in big trouble for that driving anywhere but your last sentence tells us a whole lot about the workings of the state.
I wasn't even driving. The car was parked up and the rozzers were waiting for me when I returned.

Just be careful. You will be a second class citizen out there.
My mate who lives there for the last ten years still classes himself as a guest of the country like.

In his area of work (director of a hotel chain) he said the authorities are the most corrupt he has ever dealt with.

Jailed for touching a man on the hip to avoid spilling a drink.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...g-drink/ar-AAsZVqx?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartandhp

A likely story. A definite wrangun' who has been banged to rights for disrespecting the laws of the land.

Seriously though...why go? Is Dubai that attractive?
Exactly, why would anyone go when you hear stories like this. 3 years for something this innocuous- beyond insanity.
It's not for me. I've a friend who works in the horse racing industry spends the winter there, and he detests the place.

Been three times, never had any bother. Went out on the drink too. You just have to be discreet/well behaved when coming out of bars etc. But it's a boozy ex pat place, the champagne brunches are basically an all afternoon, all you can drink piss up.

Despite its wealth, and all the grand hotels, the place attracts some right scratters.
I preferred the old town to the shiny new bits which are full of westerners. Not for drinking but for general culture. Loved walking round the spice souks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back