Drones

Really easy. The site I enrolled on broke everything down into about 5 min chunks. Then you can do the mock exam as many times as you want. You get an hour and 15 to do it and I did it in 5 mins with 100%.

Learnt quite a lot and it was really interesting
Cool. Which site marra?

Watched a video the other day and whilst it’s good newsthat no difference between commercial and hobbyist now which means I can use for my work it seems my drone is class 3 and will be a legacy drone in 2yrs.

I shoot a lot of stuff on coastlines. New rules mean I have to be at least 150m (horizontal) from the beach to be legal. Well that’s how I read it. The new qualification will mean I can be 50m? Which is still quite a lot. Will it mean I can fly over the beach?

Cool. Which site marra?

Watched a video the other day and whilst it’s good newsthat no difference between commercial and hobbyist now which means I can use for my work it seems my drone is class 3 and will be a legacy drone in 2yrs.

I shoot a lot of stuff on coastlines. New rules mean I have to be at least 150m (horizontal) from the beach to be legal. Well that’s how I read it. The new qualification will mean I can be 50m? Which is still quite a lot. Will it mean I can fly over the beach?

I did it on uavhub. They have a sale on for it as well so it's 99 quid at the minute.

I've never heard about being stopped flying at the beach

That’s my understanding too. That means you cannot fly in industrial, residential, recreational or commercial areas.

It also means the mini and mini 2 are free of these regs as long as you register with CAA.

The minis will be allowed to fly from your garden and fly over people. (Uninvolved)

Try YouTube and look at “Ian from London new drone regs”

He is very good at explaining this issue.

That’s my understanding too. That means you cannot fly in industrial, residential, recreational or commercial areas.

I think the A2CofC is as much about being able to fly commercially , and of course once C2 class drones are available being able to use them in those areas and closer to people.
If its just recreational, the minis are probably the best way forward at the moment for most people.

Still a useful course to do though, as is any serious training as its likely to make you a safer flyer.

For the next 2 years the A2CofC will also let you fly a bigger legacy drone (Mavic etc) in a built up area if you stay 50m clear of people.

I think the A2CofC is as much about being able to fly commercially , and of course once C2 class drones are available being able to use them in those areas and closer to people.
If its just recreational, the minis are probably the best way forward at the moment for most people.

Still a useful course to do though, as is any serious training as its likely to make you a safer flyer.

For the next 2 years the A2CofC will also let you fly a bigger legacy drone (Mavic etc) in a built up area if you stay 50m clear of people.
eBay is full of air 2 drones with people dumping them. Mini and mini 2 are legacy drones and now have more freedoms than previously.

Lowest category and fly in cat A1 so can fly over uninvolved people and over the restrictions- industrial, commercial, residential and recreational.

Need to register with CAA and take on line test plus pay fee.

Also you must display your Op ID on the main body of the UAV. ( not flyer ID)

Last edited:
Anyone got the mavic mini 2? Had a mavic air a couple of years ago and loved it, great fun. Thinking of having another go.

I got rid of my Air a few months ago and got a Mini 2. Obstacle avoidance is a miss and being lighter it feels a more responsive but also way more skittish in breezy/windy gusts. Still super easy to fly though and like @Big Jeff says occusync is a huge improvement over the Air Wi-Fi. Newer controller much better anarl. Oh and no active track either if you used that on the Air. Cracking drone but occusync aside I reckon the Air was a better bit of kit. Perfect for the new regs though.

There is a new mini out too - the mini SE.

Strange one - no launch no fanfare from DJI.

Seems to sit in between mini an mini 2. No “fly more” kit and you cannot buy it direct from DJI. 🤷‍♂️

I’m guessing a helicopter nearby would effect the transmission of signal? Just bought myself a mini 2 and once the helicopter came lost signal and came home

Back