Doxford gatehouse

Usual comments from the usual deadbeats on the page include:

"Sunderland Council must of hired someone from Newcastle"

"Better than the concrete boxes on the Vaux site"

But there was plenty of sensible people posting how great they look.
Nowts concrete on vaux site
Steel panels/render and glass 😂

My apologies. See the post immediately above for my assumption of your intent. This board has a weird obsession of equating honest criticism with perpetual negativity.

You should check out The Launch, it looked genuinely amazing when it was announced and would have been a fantastic tribute on the banks of the wear on the vaux site. But as ever, it never saw the light of day and was never mentioned again...
those ones? It says 2022 and 2024 in that article, or was it something different?

those ones? It says 2022 and 2024 in that article, or was it something different?
Nah mate. It was a huge sculpture that lit yp permanently and moved like a champagne bottle launching a ship. Was a big thread on here iirc. Was announced and heralded as the council always do and then quietly ditched and fuck all said about it.

Nah mate. It was a huge sculpture that lit yp permanently and moved like a champagne bottle launching a ship. Was a big thread on here iirc. Was announced and heralded as the council always do and then quietly ditched and fuck all said about it.
Ah right, sorry, I hadn't heard of it, so searched and that came up :)

Think they are building in the bridge instead.

@Butcher's Coat
@ARs biscuit
@Cheesy Feet

Care to comment if @Teed is right?

Most people have a whinge about their job. They’re fucked when it’s taken away and this was in the harshest of ways.
The yards could be hard graft depending on what you were doing..a lot of folks will have heard of the infamous double bottoms..cramped..red hot in the summer and freezing in the winter..wouldn’t say i hated the place..it was always good crack..made loads of good mates..I’d say the 99.9% quoted is way off..a lot of the older lads loved it for the camaraderie..it’s where their mates were..and a lot of them suffered when the yards closed..I’ve worked in better places but worked in a lot worse.

That’s really great! WDSC

Could have even relocated them to the city centre for a feature somewhere but that’s still awesome
My apologies. See the post immediately above for my assumption of your intent. This board has a weird obsession of equating honest criticism with perpetual negativity.

You should check out The Launch, it looked genuinely amazing when it was announced and would have been a fantastic tribute on the banks of the wear on the vaux site. But as ever, it never saw the light of day and was never mentioned again...

I know art is subjective but “The launch” sculpture concept was/is a terrible idea. It looked awful. Would have been better illuminating the limestone cliffs and creating better access between the vaux site and riverside

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Back