Doxford gatehouse

@Butcher's Coat
@ARs biscuit
@Cheesy Feet

Care to comment if @Teed is right?

Most people have a whinge about their job. They’re fucked when it’s taken away and this was in the harshest of ways.
It's not a right or wrong daft lad, It's just mt opinion
Besides,IIRC that was the entrance to Doxie's offices, the entrance that the yard workers would have used was where their canteen was next the the Alex bridge.

Last edited:

Besides,IIRC that was the entrance to Doxie's offices, the entrance that the yard workers would have used was where their canteen was next the the Alex bridge.

Aye, and I’ve asked for the opinion of lads who worked there :lol:

Aye, and I’ve asked for the opinion of lads who worked there :lol:
I 've know louds of lads that worked their, include my Dad and his brother, both hated the place along with every other yard. I used to drink with them on a Sunday dinner sesh In the Pallion club (my Dads choice) can't ever remember any waxing lyrical about ther yards, they dirty horrible workplaces man, I worked on the buildings for over 40 year, do you think I find building sites romantic. :lol:

I 've know louds of lads that worked their, include my Dad and his brother, both hated the place along with every other yard. I used to drink with them on a Sunday dinner sesh In the Pallion club (my Dads choice) can't ever remember any waxing lyrical about ther yards, they dirty horrible workplaces man, I worked on the buildings for over 40 year, do you think I find building sites romantic. :lol:

Well, I’ve worked in numerous yards all over the world and I’m the opposite, I do have hold these places with a great fondness, despite them being dirty and horrible.

Canteen was down Woodbine Terrace (or at least it was when me ma worked in it late 70's).

Canteen was down Woodbine Terrace (or at least it was when me ma worked in it late 70's).
I always remember it where the building still stands today just off the roubabout on the southside of the Alex, I could be wrong mind? I never was that concered about the place.

I always remember it where the building still stands today just off the roubabout on the southside of the Alex, I could be wrong mind? I never was that concered about the place.

Always remember the canteen being a two-tiered separate affair. Table service and waitresses etc for the white collar lot, a dividing wall and self-service for the blue collar lot.

Always remember the canteen being a two-tiered separate affair. Table service and waitresses etc for the white collar lot, a dividing wall and self-service for the blue collar lot.
Right, I was never in there, So did they use that prefab type hut at some time, I seen blokes in there eating, I seem to recall they used it for union meetings now and then too. I guess it could have been someone elses canteen? and I've just assumed it was Doxies?

You’re both right about the canteens..there was a canteen indeed at Woodbine Terrace which served the office workers and the Yards and Doxford Engines lads..i was an apprentice in the Funnel Shop and used it myself a few times..the other canteen was right up next to the entrance of the yard by the Alex bridge.

Right, I was never in there, So did they use that prefab type hut at some time, I seen blokes in there eating, I seem to recall they used it for union meetings now and then too. I guess it could have been someone elses canteen? and I've just assumed it was Doxies?

Probably just a bait hut for those that brought their own.

You’re both right about the canteens..there was a canteen indeed at Woodbine Terrace which served the office workers and the Yards and Doxford Engines lads..i was an apprentice in the Funnel Shop and used it myself a few times..the other canteen was right up next to the entrance of the yard by the Alex bridge.

Probably needed a canteen at both ends, the size of the site.

Thanks for clearing that up, Cheesy,

You throw your underpants at grown men
Really? I mean, really?
That’s really great! WDSC

Could have even relocated them to the city centre for a feature somewhere but that’s still awesome

I know art is subjective but “The launch” sculpture concept was/is a terrible idea. It looked awful. Would have been better illuminating the limestone cliffs and creating better access between the vaux site and riverside

Logon or register to see this image
Looked good with the permanently lit pendulum swinging away. The point is it was just canned and never spoke of again which typifies this council

Really? I mean, really?

Looked good with the permanently lit pendulum swinging away. The point is it was just canned and never spoke of again which typifies this council

I do think @Osklen is right about the location mind. It appears to be the same location earmarked for the footbridge. Personally I'd rather the money spent on infrastructure like a footbridge

Back