Doxford gatehouse

My apologies. See the post immediately above for my assumption of your intent. This board has a weird obsession of equating honest criticism with perpetual negativity.

You should check out The Launch, it looked genuinely amazing when it was announced and would have been a fantastic tribute on the banks of the wear on the vaux site. But as ever, it never saw the light of day and was never mentioned again...
Managed to find an article but can't find any pics, so this got scrapped then? It does sound mint to be fair, if done properly of course.

That’s really great! WDSC

Could have even relocated them to the city centre for a feature somewhere but that’s still awesome

I know art is subjective but “The launch” sculpture concept was/is a terrible idea. It looked awful. Would have been better illuminating the limestone cliffs and creating better access between the vaux site and riverside

Logon or register to see this image
Ah I'm catching up with the thread!

Managed to find an article but can't find any pics, so this got scrapped then? It does sound mint to be fair, if done properly of course.

Ah I'm catching up with the thread!

Think it was a case of being one of Paul Watsons projects. Then after he died & change of leadership and they had new ideas.

Personally I wasn't keen on it, one of the rejected ideas was better. And the new plans are better anarl

I like it.

It’s class. When it was part of the building, there was a cigarette dispensing machine mounted on the right hand side arch. This dates back the 70’s or 80’s and because it was closed, it had never been removed.
It’s a real icon of our recent past.

It’s class. When it was part of the building, there was a cigarette dispensing machine mounted on the right hand side arch. This dates back the 70’s or 80’s and because it was closed, it had never been removed.
It’s a real icon of our recent past.
I'd love one of those ancient cigarette machines.
Summat like a couple of history boards either side with a few photos of the Doxford site and history wouldn't gan amiss.
Definitely. I'd like to visit and properly learn about the site of which I know very little other than they employed reprobates like Kev there.

Definitely. I'd like to visit and properly learn about the site of which I know very little other than they employed reprobates like Kev there.

My granda worked there. I’m only a couple of years older than you but make up for that in intellect and wit.

I’d like to go in the bogs of the main shed and see if my graffiti is still arl ower them.

I’d like to go in the bogs of the main shed and see if my graffiti is still arl ower them.

McNulty was class for toilet graffiti abuse. The blend of mackem/ mag made for the perfect storm in terms of insult, counter insult on the back of the bog doors.

Also top bacon butty in the canteen.
Oof ya fucker :lol:

As a very aside: didn’t you DJ in Brogans at one point?
Summat like a couple of history boards either side with a few photos of the Doxford site and history wouldn't gan amiss.

There’s so much history recorded. A lad who worked there has documented the layout of the yard, the people who worked there and the ships which they built. It’s a proper local encyclopaedia of our immediate heritage.

Last edited:
McNulty was class for toilet graffiti abuse. The blend of mackem/ mag made for the perfect storm in terms of insult, counter insult on the back of the bog doors.

Also top bacon butty in the canteen.

As a very aside: didn’t you DJ in Brogans at one point?

There’s so much history recorded. A lad who worked there has documented the layout of the yard, the people who worked there and the ships which they built. It’s a proper local encyclopaedia of our immediate heritage.
Same when i was at AMEC on the Tyne..the mags Keegan years were in full flight and they were loving it..when i knew I was getting paid off i went mental in the bogs with a permanent marker..immature but hey ho.

Same when i was at AMEC on the Tyne..the mags Keegan years were in full flight and they were loving it..when i knew I was getting paid off i went mental in the bogs with a permanent marker..immature but hey ho.
I was there for the Bonga and the Clair.
The nothsiders were complete and utter knobs - who thought that the river owed them a living.
They hated the fact that AMEC had to employ Mackems (and others out of the area). :lol:

I was there for the Bonga and the Clair.
The nothsiders were complete and utter knobs - who thought that the river owed them a living.
They hated the fact that AMEC had to employ Mackems (and others out of the area). :lol:
The Bonga wasn’t long after I left..I posted before about the day I started there..i was doing the Welding Inspection and NDT..8 in the morning and here’s the whole yard walking out..found out they’d took two Welders on from Sunderland so they had a days strike..(someone on here reckoned I was talking shite)..as you say it was those from North of the Tyne..if you didn’t have a North Tyneside Union card they used to spit their dummies right out.

The Bonga wasn’t long after I left..I posted before about the day I started there..i was doing the Welding Inspection and NDT..8 in the morning and here’s the whole yard walking out..found out they’d took two Welders on from Sunderland so they had a days strike..(someone on here reckoned I was talking shite)..as you say it was those from North of the Tyne..if you didn’t have a North Tyneside Union card they used to spit their dummies right out.
Used to be "Tyne and Blythe" - even lads from Consett could get in there as well.

Used to be "Tyne and Blythe" - even lads from Consett could get in there as well.
Disgusting that Unions who are there to protect all its members stand by and let it happen..they also had a days strike because there wasn’t enough microwaves in the bait cabins and they threatened to strike if the company didn’t put mini buses on to take them from the bait cabins to the dockside when it was raining (honest)..i worked for MAPEL doing the inspection..there was a canteen there and I went in because chicken curry was on..the lass serving said I could only have a pie because i didn’t work directly for AMEC..I started laughing and she said no honest it’s a Union agreement..only the AMEC lads get the curry.

Disgusting that Unions who are there to protect all its members stand by and let it happen..they also had a days strike because there wasn’t enough microwaves in the bait cabins and they threatened to strike if the company didn’t put mini buses on to take them from the bait cabins to the dockside when it was raining (honest)..i worked for MAPEL doing the inspection..there was a canteen there and I went in because chicken curry was on..the lass serving said I could only have a pie because i didn’t work directly for AMEC..I started laughing and she said no honest it’s a Union agreement..only the AMEC lads get the curry.
🤣 🤣 🤣

Back