Door to door peddlers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen people (the more emotional folk in my friends lists) posting pictures of chalk marks on Facebook claiming it is code for where cats and dogs can be stolen. In a world where everyone has a smart phone able to take pictures and give a geolocations why would criminals revert to hobo symbols? Genuinely asking.

Facebook and geo-tracking can be gathered as evidence.

Chalk or piles of stones cannot, unless witnessed

We've had them round here several times saying they are from Middlesbrough on a prison rehabilitation scheme. It's not true as no such scheme exists.
Same. They come in a group/minibus and divide whatever area they park up in into streets. Same story. Same nefarious intentions. Same tat. The lad I bought a duster off was in prison "for fighting".

They give genuine duster salesmen a bad name.

It’s a group from Boro , unsure if peddling knocked off goods or eyeing up houses , either way it’s dodgy , been going on few year now

It’s a group from Boro , unsure if peddling knocked off goods or eyeing up houses , either way it’s dodgy , been going on few year now
This. If they're not eyeing up houses, it's pretty enterprising, actually. Why they think Sunderland suffers disproportionately from dust is anyone's guess.

Anyone had these lately? Had a knock on the door and some lad claiming to be a on probation selling a load of tat ... wanted ten quid for some cloths!

politely sent him on his way

my lass anxious the house will get done over now but I just think it’s a scam trying to get a couple of quid of the gullible and vulnerable

Some genuine cases of some being decent. Lovely story.
By the way the genuine “offending” people trying to get back into society carry ID.
Have a friend, retired and a real decent human being. A said peddler knocked on his door one day and typical Brian opened a chat with him, openly asking what he had previously done. Honestly confirmed theft and that he had got into trouble when younger. They were chatting for 10 mins or so and the lad said that most people slam the door, give abuse etc.
Well Brian invited him inside and made him a coffee and bought some of his gear.
The lad welled up, Brian said to him that if he ever wanted a chat then he was here for him. Visited again 6 months later and Brian invited him into his house again. Far more relaxed etc.
Anyway before lockdown and Christmas lad turns up with a little Christmas present and basically saying thanks. Kindness and trusting and giving people a chance.
There you go a true lovely story.

Don’t think you need to worry Mate.

Some genuine cases of some being decent. Lovely story.
By the way the genuine “offending” people trying to get back into society carry ID.
Have a friend, retired and a real decent human being. A said peddler knocked on his door one day and typical Brian opened a chat with him, openly asking what he had previously done. Honestly confirmed theft and that he had got into trouble when younger. They were chatting for 10 mins or so and the lad said that most people slam the door, give abuse etc.
Well Brian invited him inside and made him a coffee and bought some of his gear.
The lad welled up, Brian said to him that if he ever wanted a chat then he was here for him. Visited again 6 months later and Brian invited him into his house again. Far more relaxed etc.
Anyway before lockdown and Christmas lad turns up with a little Christmas present and basically saying thanks. Kindness and trusting and giving people a chance.
There you go a true lovely story.

Don’t think you need to worry Mate.
Always an exception to the rule. Majority are wrong uns who deliberately target the vulnerable and some of them try and get arsey when you f+++ them off. I’ve had personal experience of this so I’m not just stereotyping.

I had one in the summer. Claiming he's just got out of prison & trying to make an honest wage selling dish cloths & teatowls or summit.
I was luckily just on my way out anyway so had a decent excuse that I needed to get off. Was a bit nervous that house could get done over as he knew I wasn't in. But nowt happened

We've had them round here several times saying they are from Middlesbrough on a prison rehabilitation scheme. It's not true as no such scheme exists.
Haven’t been round in the last year but have had the same ones knock on my door before.

Can’t believe that they haven’t been lifted by the police yet.

Check your doorstep and the wall outside your house. They leave marks there to indicate if they think your house is vulnerable, if you are gullible, if you have a dog, etc.

Pick up and move any daft advertisement cards and leaflets as well. They stick these through letter box or even an open window and come back and see if it's been shifted.

Never heard of a burner phone? Is there a single police recorded occurrence of chalk / pebbles and a break-in / pet theft?

I've not seen any reports of any convictions or evidence to suggest that it takes place but that wasn't the issue.

Could it take place? Yes

Has it taken place? Probably

I've seen people (the more emotional folk in my friends lists) posting pictures of chalk marks on Facebook claiming it is code for where cats and dogs can be stolen. In a world where everyone has a smart phone able to take pictures and give a geolocations why would criminals revert to hobo symbols? Genuinely asking.

And if everyone knows this happens... so do the police and other criminals. Why do it?

Usually strange markings are done by utility companies to mark out where is safe to dig or distances.

One knocked on our door a week ago. Our lass (trust me you wouldn’t want to) just punched him straight in the face and told him to fcuk off and if he ever stepped foot on our property she’d shit in his underpants draw.... there was claret everywhere.
I believe you. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back