Door to door peddlers

Anyone had these lately? Had a knock on the door and some lad claiming to be a on probation selling a load of tat ... wanted ten quid for some cloths!

politely sent him on his way

my lass anxious the house will get done over now but I just think it’s a scam trying to get a couple of quid of the gullible and vulnerable
“A suspected bogus seller alleged to have flogged cheap cleaning products to pensioners at inflated prices has been arrested.

On Sunday afternoon, we were alerted by a member of the public that a male had been knocking on doors trying to sell a range of items to elderly residents.

The male had been seen going to a number of houses in the Oxclose area of Washington and asking homeowners whether they would like to buy cleaning products.

However, after we learnt a 90-year-old woman had handed over £40 for two products with a combined value of less than £5, an investigation was launched to locate the seller.

Later that afternoon, as officers scanned the local area for the suspect, they located a 24-year-old man on Brancepeth Road who matched the description given by the caller.

He was found to be in possession of a bag full of cleaning products – which appeared to have had doctored price labels.

The man was subsequently placed under arrest on suspicion of fraud by false representation and taken into custody.”

Wasn't sure of the right place to post this and I don't want to start a random thread.

Just had a young lad knock on my parent's house claiming that his iphone is tracked to our address. Obviously it could be genuine and the poor lad could have lost a phone, but he seemed curiously confused as to when he'd went up our street and had to check with his other pal in the car as to what his own phone was. The other lad found the whole affair strangely amusing or he could have been either high or just plain backward.

Anyone know of a scam going round? They were in a white Audi with a personalised reg of J8888K-something. I'm as soft as clarts, but it's funny how quickly you want to confront people when your parents get a certain age.

Wasn't sure of the right place to post this and I don't want to start a random thread.

Just had a young lad knock on my parent's house claiming that his iphone is tracked to our address. Obviously it could be genuine and the poor lad could have lost a phone, but he seemed curiously confused as to when he'd went up our street and had to check with his other pal in the car as to what his own phone was. The other lad found the whole affair strangely amusing or he could have been either high or just plain backward.

Anyone know of a scam going round? They were in a white Audi with a personalised reg of J8888K-something. I'm as soft as clarts, but it's funny how quickly you want to confront people when your parents get a certain age.

When you say tracked to the house do you think he was trying to get inside to have a snoop around?

When you say tracked to the house do you think he was trying to get inside to have a snoop around?

Who knows. Seemed like an excuse to scope folk's places out. I kindly suggested ringing the police but they seemed reluctant to get them involved for some reason...

I tried to be as assertive/intimidating as I could, which is a bit difficult as I look like a lass cosplaying as Harry Potter.

Last edited:
Who knows. Seemed like an excuse to scope folk's places out. I kindly suggested ringing the police but they seemed reluctant to get them involved for some reason...

I tried to be as assertive/intimidating as I could, which is a bit difficult as I look like a lass cosplaying as Harry Potter.

At least you were there and it’ll put them off if they were thinking about coming back..there’s been some knocking about where I live..SR6..two lads..one’s ginger..going door to door..I’m 6ft 4 and 17 stone so I always make a point of answering the door and making myself look as big as possible..these two had a funny twang to their accents..couldn’t work it out.

At least you were there and it’ll put them off if they were thinking about coming back..there’s been some knocking about where I live..SR6..two lads..one’s ginger..going door to door..I’m 6ft 4 and 17 stone so I always make a point of answering the door and making myself look as big as possible..these two had a funny twang to their accents..couldn’t work it out.
sr6s

I might have done the same If I'd lost a £1000 phone tbf.
Sounds like a scam to me. They’ll be hoping they happen across an older person who’ll be intimidated and/or trusting enough to allow them in as they won’t know any different. Bet they’re driving all over doing it. It only takes one. Kernts.

Back